TN: 2017 Domaine de la Côte Pinot Noir Bloom's Field

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Dale McClaran
Contributor
Contributor

TN: 2017 Domaine de la Côte Pinot Noir Bloom's Field

#1 Post by Dale McClaran » August 1st, 2020, 9:46 am

• 2017 Domaine de la Côte Pinot Noir Bloom's Field - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills (8/1/2020)
    Decanted 3 hrs. Kathleen bought this as she really liked Raj Parr’s background from watching Somm3 I think on Netflix, first time for either of us. Seems like a lot is going on here, but this still tightly coiled. My initial reaction was this tasted a lot like a young Cristom Pinot from OR, low acidity, or at least what was initially perceived, but no lack of structure. I am guessing (but could be wrong) there is some whole cluster going on, it has that wild edge you get from stems. Deep black raspberry provides plenty of enjoyment and I really liked the white pepper touch on the finish. Should age, I liked it. (93 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
GO HAWKS!

Doug Lee
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: TN: 2017 Domaine de la Côte Pinot Noir Bloom's Field

#2 Post by Doug Lee » August 2nd, 2020, 12:28 pm

Dale,

I have a solitary 2014 which I am giving some additional cellar time, as yet undefined. I am late to the party on this producer. Glad it showed so well!

Cheers,
Doug

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Anton D » August 2nd, 2020, 12:40 pm

Great note!

I love this producer.

Perhaps the best 'structure' in California.
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Al Osterheld

#4 Post by Al Osterheld » August 2nd, 2020, 12:54 pm

I haven't tried the more recent vintages, but it used to have a lot of whole cluster, maybe even 100%. I think their vineyards are all heritage clones (Swan, Calera, Mount Eden), some of them own-rooted.

-Al

William Kelley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by William Kelley » August 2nd, 2020, 1:27 pm

Al Osterheld wrote:
August 2nd, 2020, 12:54 pm
I haven't tried the more recent vintages, but it used to have a lot of whole cluster, maybe even 100%. I think their vineyards are all heritage clones (Swan, Calera, Mount Eden), some of them own-rooted.

-Al
They have some suitcase selections elsewhere, too, but Bloom's Field is Calera, Swan and Mt. Eden as you say!
The Wine Advocate

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by brigcampbell » August 2nd, 2020, 2:12 pm

William Kelley wrote:
August 2nd, 2020, 1:27 pm
Al Osterheld wrote:
August 2nd, 2020, 12:54 pm

-Al
They have some suitcase selections elsewhere, too, but Bloom's Field is Calera, Swan and Mt. Eden as you say!
I think Memorious is from seeds.

Sashi told me the story and I can't find where I wrote it up now.

Al Osterheld

#7 Post by Al Osterheld » August 2nd, 2020, 2:22 pm

Yes, they planted an acre of Pinot Noir from seeds, I think next to the Memorius vineyard rather than part of it. It's a long term project where they will select and eventually propagate some of the material. I don't think they have sold wine from those vines, though.

There was a longer story written up about the project, don't recall whether it was here or somewhere else.

-Al

Return to “Wine Talk”