WOW Porto - Porto's new 'World of Wine' wine district

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Jan Janas

WOW Porto - Porto's new 'World of Wine' wine district

#1 Post by Jan Janas » July 31st, 2020, 10:33 pm

Has anyone heard of this yet? Apparently Porto just opened a massive wine district with wine and food 'experiences'. Not really sure what they entail, as a quick scroll through the website didn't make things clearer in the slightest. Looks like a lot of money went into this, and it seems more like an EXPO with a wine & food focus than anything else.

Maybe our Tomas Costa knows something?

Tomás Costa

Re: WOW Porto - Porto's new 'World of Wine' wine district

#2 Post by Tomás Costa » August 1st, 2020, 3:28 am

Hi Jan. This is a 105 million € project by Fladgate (owners of Taylor's), who also own the Yeatman hotel that overlooks the Douro River, the Porto skyline from Vila Nova de Gaia and the very terrains where this big wine plaza now stands. WOW is a mixture of differently themed restaurants and museums about the wine world. Once I get back from Algarve on the 7th I'll be wanting to go there and look around, since it's only a 20 minute train ride from my home.

According to the national press, there will be many different restaurants - some themed according to what they serve (vegetarian, fish), others with different inspirations (one of them is named 1828, after that decisive year of the Portuguese Civil War, in which Porto was a decisive player on the Liberal side), but all benefitting from very extensive wine lists. The really interesting part to me are the museums - dedicated to the history of wine, the history of glassware, the history of chocolate, the history of the Porto region and the history of cork, to name the ones I've read about - and an actual wine academy, which will be offering courses. Whether these are formal or not I wouldn't know. Either way, it looks like a really exciting project and was an obvious investment for Fladgate under the scenario of skyrocketing tourism in Porto, before the big 'rona put our lifes on hold.

dbailey

#3 Post by dbailey » August 1st, 2020, 3:44 am

Porto was already my favourite destination city. Can’t wait to go back and explore this new area.
Dan

Markus S

#4 Post by Markus S » August 1st, 2020, 6:37 am

Probably not the best time in the world to be opening this just as Portugal put back on the EU travel ban list and zip American traffic. :(
$ _ € ® e . k @

Tomás Costa

#5 Post by Tomás Costa » August 1st, 2020, 7:14 am

Markus S wrote:
August 1st, 2020, 6:37 am
Probably not the best time in the world to be opening this just as Portugal put back on the EU travel ban list and zip American traffic. :(
Ridiculous. Portugal has been the victim of its own very extensive and exhaustive testing policy - 1.6 million tests so far, out of a population of less than 11 million. Geographical position allowed us to prepare in time and the pandemic did not hit us nearly as hard as the Spanish or Italians in terms of deaths or ICU strain. Among our daily cases, around 75% are concentrated in the 19 parishes of Greater Lisbon where poor socio-economic factors render social distancing an impossibility. This is an extremely safe country to travel to - I stick to all health and safety precautions but travel everywhere with no second thought, and I have two high risk factor people in my family.

Markus S

#6 Post by Markus S » August 1st, 2020, 8:42 am

Tomás Costa wrote:
August 1st, 2020, 7:14 am
Markus S wrote:
August 1st, 2020, 6:37 am
Ridiculous. Portugal has been the victim of its own very extensive and exhaustive testing policy - 1.6 million tests so far, out of a population of less than 11 million. Geographical position allowed us to prepare in time and the pandemic did not hit us nearly as hard as the Spanish or Italians in terms of deaths or ICU strain. Among our daily cases, around 75% are concentrated in the 19 parishes of Greater Lisbon where poor socio-economic factors render social distancing an impossibility. This is an extremely safe country to travel to - I stick to all health and safety precautions but travel everywhere with no second thought, and I have two high risk factor people in my family.
Well I was surprised when I heard this on the radio today because I know Portugal has done a good job.
$ _ € ® e . k @

theocorrel

#7 Post by theocorrel » August 1st, 2020, 8:55 am

Tomas - Thanks for the detailed information on the situation in Portugal; it is much appreciated. When you do go to this new development in Porto, please report back! (And post pictures if possible!)

Eric Ifune
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Eric Ifune » August 1st, 2020, 3:42 pm

Been waiting for this for the past couple of years. It's the brainchild of Adrian Bridge, CEO of Taylor, Fladgate, Yeatman. Supposedly about wine in general and not just Port or Taylors.

Tomás Costa

#9 Post by Tomás Costa » August 1st, 2020, 4:15 pm

Eric Ifune wrote:
August 1st, 2020, 3:42 pm
Been waiting for this for the past couple of years. It's the brainchild of Adrian Bridge, CEO of Taylor, Fladgate, Yeatman. Supposedly about wine in general and not just Port or Taylors.
I am positive it will be a much greater invention than his latest one, rosé port.

Jan Janas

#10 Post by Jan Janas » August 1st, 2020, 6:38 pm

Thanks Tomas - it is good to hear that a good investor is backing this up, as it looked like an expensive project but as is often the state lots of money don't equate good results. Exciting to see what you report back.

AaronB

#11 Post by AaronB » August 2nd, 2020, 1:40 am

I was in Porto in Feb just before this all kicked off, fantastic city and sad I missed this.

Despite massive tourism there's still so many derelict buildings in Porto and in-between the lodges in Vila Nova de Gaia, really surprised me.
Bh@v5@r

Kevin Patrick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Kevin Patrick » August 2nd, 2020, 10:17 am

Great information. Thanks for sharing.

I'm an optimist and think we will be past the COVID scares far sooner than others believe and enjoy thinking about return trips to regions like this. Can't wait to see this exciting venture.

Cheers!

Tomás Costa

#13 Post by Tomás Costa » August 2nd, 2020, 10:49 am

Kevin Patrick wrote:
August 2nd, 2020, 10:17 am
Great information. Thanks for sharing.

I'm an optimist and think we will be past the COVID scares far sooner than others believe and enjoy thinking about return trips to regions like this. Can't wait to see this exciting venture.

Cheers!
I would be thrilled to meet up with any Berserkers!

Eric Ifune
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Eric Ifune » August 2nd, 2020, 3:28 pm

I am positive it will be a much greater invention than his latest one, rosé port.
pileon
I understand it's been quite successful commercially. Other companies have followed suit. [wow.gif]

He took a big gamble with the Yeatman, and that has paid off. They've since bought the Vintage House in Pinhao and the Infante Sagres hotel in Porto. He's very good at what he does.

Return to “Wine Talk”