Champagne losing its fizz as global pandemic clobbers sales

A sad state of affairs:

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/champagne-losing-fizz-global-pandemic-clobbers-sales-72098246

Ya, but where are the deals??? We see deals on just about everything except Champagne

And this is without tariffs.

Hellllo cheap Champagne… they’ll take their licks just like we all are, but 2021 should be a better year for everyone.

Diebolt-Valois Prestige Blanc de Blanc for $40 in a couple of recent offers.

I’m doing what I can to prop them up…

Also, this kind of grinds my gears a little bit:

Vranken said the very essence of champagne marketing – as a drink quaffed at parties and weddings – needs to be re-evaluated to reflect the new normal: Fewer festivities and a lack of celebratory group events.

I understand you can get a bottle of Champagne for $20, but it’s probably iffy at best. When most of your entry-level good stuff is $50+, your average Joe isn’t going to pop a bottle on Tuesday night with a burger regardless of whether it’s natty/organic.

Me too, dude.

Me 3 dudes

grouphug

champagne.gif

In the end they are making an agricultural commodity product. When demand shifts, they’ll feel it, and can either adapt by changing prices to find the new market clearing point, or sit on unsold stocks, while their former customers discover substitute commodities.

Somehow the Champenois convinced themselves that marketing/positioning changed their products attributes to make it truly special, as if was a mobile phone chip or life saving drug, which can command real economic rents.

I am also, sirs.

I answered when I saw the first quote for inclusion. Can I get in on that group hug?

I buy entirely too much Champagne. Hoping to see some better deals in the future but not holding my breath.