Got the RONA...no smell, no taste, no WINE!

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Got the RONA...no smell, no taste, no WINE!

#51 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » July 31st, 2020, 7:30 pm

Kris Patten wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 7:05 pm
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 6:54 pm
Kris Patten wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 6:51 pm
It's too bad this virus makes people feel like it's a scarlet letter of sorts. Appreciate both of you sharing your process. Thank goodness Alfert bought all that Ovid now!
Oh man, I should have popped the C(Ovid)!
I didn't have the guts to write that, thought it may be too insensitive.

Rolland approves.

[cheers.gif]

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

AD Northup
GCC Member
GCC Member

#52 Post by AD Northup » July 31st, 2020, 8:28 pm

Such a positive thread. I thankfully haven’t had COVID, however my wine drinking younger sister did, and with her very young and untrained palate, was about 6 weeks from loss of smell to enjoying D&R virtual tastings, but about 10 weeks to be fully back.
A n d r e w N o r t h u p

2020 WsOTY:

2015 Roses de Jeanne / Cédric Bouchard Champagne Blanc de Noirs La Presle (#1)
1954 Fontanafredda Barbaresco
2015 Ultramarine BdB

2019 WsOTY:
1994 Edmunds St. John Les Côtes Sauvages
2016 P. S. Garcia Grenache Piedra Lisa
2002 Perrier-Jouet Belle Époque
2005 Faja dos Padres Malvasia

Doug Lee
GCC Member
GCC Member

#53 Post by Doug Lee » July 31st, 2020, 10:26 pm

Robert, glad you are "back". Keep recovering!

Cheers,
Doug

Dave English
GCC Member
GCC Member

#54 Post by Dave English » July 31st, 2020, 10:40 pm

Good to hear you are recovering. Best send me all your wine, wasted on you now. :-)

Take it easy, the scary part about it is all the unknowns being such a new virus. Hoping you get your senses back 100% as it is such a big element to our love of wine.

Otto Forsberg

#55 Post by Otto Forsberg » August 1st, 2020, 1:33 am

Anosmia is a real b*tch. I often have from just getting a common cold, normally +50% of the cases. In some years I've had anosmia twice a year and it usually takes a week or so with another week or two to return back to normal - meaning that I can't smell or taste anything for a week and then everything tastes really weird and wrong for some time afterwards. Furthermore, there's always a risk of the damage becoming permanent, which is why I try my best to avoid even getting just common cold.

But as far as diseases go, Covid as a whole different thing. Glad to hear you're recovering.

Doug Ackerman

#56 Post by Doug Ackerman » August 1st, 2020, 2:36 am

geez Buzz, glad you're on the mend. In the grand scheme, you seem to be one of the luckier ones. take care my friend.
https://www.redelectricwines.com/
Armstrong Vineyard
Newberg, OR

James Mc

#57 Post by James Mc » August 1st, 2020, 4:52 am

Family friend lost sense of taste for 3 months, just got it back, and it seems to have come back in full (non wine drinker so cant speak to that part).

Stay strong!
M c c o r m i c k

D Zurcher
GCC Member
GCC Member

#58 Post by D Zurcher » August 1st, 2020, 6:24 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 6:05 pm
Ok Buzz, since you broke the ice, I’ll go next and admit it even if I felt like the neighborhood leper.

Yep, I had it, too.

Got it about five weeks ago. Still don’t know how, don’t know a single person that has had it.

Manifested as a low grade flu, some fatigue and body aches. Never got a fever except one night after a week, got to 100. No respiratory or GI issues. Slept a lot. Lasted a full two weeks.

Lost some sense of smell and palate. Lost my appetite, didn’t eat much but wife did bring me a PB milkshake everyday. Lost about five pounds.

Oddly, neither my wife nor my kid got it. Nor did my doctor, or staff.

My sense of smell is still off but at least slowly maturing. The palate is back. During Covid my palate was way off with some notes highly accentuated, like saline. I did not drink for three weeks. Started back with Single Malts.

Back to wine over the last week but for the obvious reasons, did not pop any big guns. Am enjoying a killer Bedrock Heritage right now. A fuller-bodied wine was the right call.

Glad to hear you are doing fine, Buzz.
Glad to hear you're getting through it. I know many friends who have had it, or have it now. 2 have been in ICU and now recovering. Crazy times.

I'm gonna laugh if highly wooded, high alcohol St. Emilion's are what appeal to you going forward. Maybe Jeff will bring you on as an assistant writer for his webpages :).
DanZ

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#59 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » August 1st, 2020, 6:30 am

Two great guys, both doing well. Thank goodness.

So far I’ve escaped.

Either take HCQ or dexamethasone?
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#60 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » August 1st, 2020, 6:35 am

D Zurcher wrote:
August 1st, 2020, 6:24 am
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
Ok Buzz, since you broke the ice, I’ll go next and admit it even if I felt like the neighborhood leper.

Yep, I had it, too.

Got it about five weeks ago. Still don’t know how, don’t know a single person that has had it.

Manifested as a low grade flu, some fatigue and body aches. Never got a fever except one night after a week, got to 100. No respiratory or GI issues. Slept a lot. Lasted a full two weeks.

Lost some sense of smell and palate. Lost my appetite, didn’t eat much but wife did bring me a PB milkshake everyday. Lost about five pounds.

My sense of smell is still off but at least slowly maturing. The palate is back. During Covid my palate was way off with some notes highly accentuated, like saline. I did not drink for three weeks. Started back with Single Malts.

Back to wine over the last week but for the obvious reasons, did not pop any big guns. Am enjoying a killer Bedrock Heritage right now. A fuller-bodied wine was the right call.

Glad to hear you're getting through it. I know many friends who have had it, or have it now. 2 have been in ICU and now recovering. Crazy times.

I'm gonna laugh if highly wooded, high alcohol St. Emilion's are what appeal to you going forward. Maybe Jeff will bring you on as an assistant writer for his webpages :).
Lol. I’ve had a lot of ironies in my life, that one could me the most poetic! [cheers.gif]

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Ed Steinway
GCC Member
GCC Member

#61 Post by Ed Steinway » August 1st, 2020, 6:51 am

Brian and Robert:

I am glad that both of you have survived this and are on the road to recovery. Wishing the best for both of you and look forward to seeing some Tasting Notes! Robert, I would suggest a spoofed St. Emilion with 100% new oak to get you back in the swing of things. neener

Ed

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#62 Post by Mattstolz » August 1st, 2020, 7:21 am

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 10:28 am
Glad you are getting better Buzz. I had anosmia for a different reason (head injury) ten years ago, and it was a loooong road back. I decided to gt back on the horse fairly quickly, and two things happened: I gained a much greater understanding and appreciation for structure and balance in wines, as I did not have the fruity stuff to worry about, and secondly it slowly retrained my senses, as I was so focused on trying to tease anything out of the wines.

So if I were you I would just start trying, obviously with more daily drinker type wines.

Reach out if you want to discuss in any more detail. Good luck!
i was gonna say this may be an opportunity for something similar to this, so im glad to see someone has been able to do it. while i dont envy people who have lost smell or taste from covid, i do think the road back would possibly be a good learning experience if you are looking for a plus side, like grant achatz talks about in Chef's table after his treatments for cancer.

im glad youre over the actual sickness and feeling better though Buzz, as well as everyone else in the thread who has been positive and is on the road back. i hope you all are back to feeling recovered enough to pop big bottles again soon!

Zachary Ross

#63 Post by Zachary Ross » August 1st, 2020, 7:28 am

My wife got Covid-19 back in March. Mild case, low fever for a couple of days, tired, achy, very light cough, no nasal congestion, and then anosmia for about 2-3 weeks. Full recovery in maybe 3-4 weeks. We made no attempt to social distance at home in our 1000 sqft apartment. At the end of April she, my daughter (age 11) and I got antibody tests. Wife and daughter positive, me negative. Daughter never had any symptoms. This was early on in the antibody testing period so who knows how accurate the results are.

Get better Buzz and Robert!
Iroulégeek.

MitchTallan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#64 Post by MitchTallan » August 1st, 2020, 7:40 am

Tough to read. There should be no shame in getting it. There seems to be a common sentiment that those who contracted the virus failed to take proper precautions. That is simple fallacy. Rob and Brian-glad to hear you are both doing fairly well.

B. Buzzini
GCC Member
GCC Member

#65 Post by B. Buzzini » August 1st, 2020, 8:35 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:

Yep, I had it, too.

Glad you made it through Robert! Comforting knowing your senses are pretty much back to normal. I'm still dealing with lingering sinus congestion, which is weird because it came late to the party...almost like I had the flu first, then a sinus infection? Tried some Tercero Cinsault Rose' that the wife was drinking...I couldn't get much out of it. Looks like I need a week or so longer for the senses to come back...hopefully 100%. The one positive I'm taking from this is the cleansing of alc in my body...as I've never gone more than a week without it in my life!

[cheers.gif] Brother
Meursault-head!

B. = Brian

Albert R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#66 Post by Albert R » August 1st, 2020, 9:43 am

Glad you are both doing better!
Cheers,

@. Re-go

YLee

#67 Post by YLee » August 1st, 2020, 9:47 am

Glad both are doing well. Stay safe everyone.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

eweininger

#68 Post by eweininger » August 1st, 2020, 10:53 am

Will echo everyone else and just say I’m glad you’re both recovering. I enjoy the tasting notes posted by both of you, so here’s to a speedy recovery of all senses.
Elliot

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#69 Post by Greg K » August 1st, 2020, 11:28 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:

Yep, I had it, too.

Glad to hear you’re on the mend Robert!
Greg Kahn

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#70 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » August 1st, 2020, 12:47 pm

B. Buzzini wrote:
August 1st, 2020, 8:35 am
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:

Yep, I had it, too.

Glad you made it through Robert! Comforting knowing your senses are pretty much back to normal. I'm still dealing with lingering sinus congestion, which is weird because it came late to the party...almost like I had the flu first, then a sinus infection? Tried some Tercero Cinsault Rose' that the wife was drinking...I couldn't get much out of it. Looks like I need a week or so longer for the senses to come back...hopefully 100%. The one positive I'm taking from this is the cleansing of alc in my body...as I've never gone more than a week without it in my life!

[cheers.gif] Brother
I had sinus congestion and maybe infection for the last week and week following. That sucked.

Like you, I was alcohol free for the duration. Thinking back, first I’ve been like that since 2004 when I was training for a long endurance event. I don’t know what cleansing that is, but was odd not to being enjoying this elixir that so captivates all of us.

So Covid taught me to chill a bit at work as well, I’ve always been a Neanderthal. First time in 28 years that I have been gone from my office for over a week. The universe did not collapse. My associates didn’t go rogue. And my staff took over. Oddly enough, I had my most productive month from a revenue perspective in over a year. I worked flexibly, virtually, during my Illness, and apparently, quite effectively. I guess since I was not doing anything extracurricular. It was sleep, work, relax, work, sleep.

Happy to be among the living now, but Covid introduced some new positives to me. I’m now introducing more flex time into my work equation and have worked quite a bit, like today, from the beach. And I have a glass of wine in my hand right now, enjoying it immensely even though my sense of smell is not yet 100%.

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Al Osterheld

#71 Post by Al Osterheld » August 1st, 2020, 12:52 pm

May get tipsy more easily after a long dry spell.

-Al

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#72 Post by Greg K » August 1st, 2020, 12:53 pm

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
August 1st, 2020, 12:47 pm
B. Buzzini wrote:
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:

Yep, I had it, too.

[cheers.gif] Brother
I had sinus congestion and maybe infection for the last week and week following. That sucked.

Like you, I was alcohol free for the duration. Thinking back, first I’ve been like that since 2004 when I was training for a long endurance event. I don’t know what cleansing that is, but was odd not to being enjoying this elixir that so captivates all of us.

So Covid taught me to chill a bit at work as well, I’ve always been a Neanderthal. First time in 28 years that I have been gone from my office for over a week. The universe did not collapse. My associates didn’t go rogue. And my staff took over. Oddly enough, I had my most productive month from a revenue perspective in over a year. I worked flexibly, virtually, during my Illness, and apparently, quite effectively. I guess since I was not doing anything extracurricular. It was sleep, work, relax, work, sleep.

Happy to be among the living now, but Covid introduced some new positives to me. I’m now introducing more flex time into my work equation and have worked quite a bit, like today, from the beach. And I have a glass of wine in my hand right now, enjoying it immensely even though my sense of smell is not yet 100%.
With all the dead vulture inflected wines you're drinking, how can you tell? neener

Glad to hear you took some time off. I understand how that goes.
Greg Kahn

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#73 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » August 1st, 2020, 12:59 pm

Ah, love me sum road kill!

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#74 Post by Neal.Mollen » August 1st, 2020, 1:01 pm

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
B. Buzzini wrote:
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:

Yep, I had it, too.

[cheers.gif] Brother

Smart man. Learn from your experiences! Glad you survived it without long term damage and are back to your old self again

I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Jen M a s o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#75 Post by Jen M a s o n » August 1st, 2020, 1:32 pm

So sorry you had to go through this and glad that the ‘worst’ is over.
I went through this in March with moderate illness that I recovered from in a few weeks and lingering anosmia. It was so upsetting, yet I felt guilty worry about such a mild symptom when others were suffering and dying. And it was hard for people (and my Dr) to understand how devastating it can be when wine is your passion!
The good news is that after 3 months I am 95% back to normal. I still feel like something is missing, especially with young cabs. But most of the time I don’t notice.

I read an article that smell training can help anosmia patients recover, so I had a twice daily routine with my wine aroma kit (le nez du vin). It was really interesting and encouraging to track my progress and realize that I was slowly recovering. It was also interesting that as some of my smells returned they were distorted for a few weeks before they were totally normal (apple smelled like vomit, blackberry like soap).
During the ‘in between time’ before everything got back to mostly normal, I found I could enjoy wines that would not normally be my preference. Big Zins (think Venge) and also I seemed to do better with whites (despite the apple vomit—lol).
Blackberry is not totally normal to me yet which may be why younger cabs are still not great, older cabs—bdx and Napa—are great.

Anyway, I don’t normally post on here, but just wanted to say don’t despair, it should get better. And if you are interested in how I did my daily smell training/tracking, feel free to PM me.

lleichtman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#76 Post by lleichtman » August 1st, 2020, 2:25 pm

B. Buzzini wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 10:20 am
Hi...remember me? Unfortunately contracted the 19 three weeks ago, started with headache and fever, then three days later flu fatigue, a burning sensation in the nasal...and lost ALL smell and taste! And I mean...totally gone! I won't bore you with all the details...I wasn't hospitalized, and was able to go back to work in 14 days. It is now 21 days, still not back to normal, but getting better. The loss of smell and taste started to come back after about 16 days...but still is not totally back yet. Have not had any wine in 21days since this one viewtopic.php?f=1&t=171648&p=3029729&hi ... s#p3029000. I tell you what...I am very thankful that none of my family contracted it, and that I wasn't hit as hard as a lot of people who are really suffering or dying. But losing your taste and smell like that, and have read reports that it might be permanent (Anosmia)...a real sense of panic and depression sets in, wondering if you will ever be able to enjoy food and wine ever again! [shock.gif]
So...I'm wondering who else has been going, or has gone, through this...and how long it took to get back your taste and smell? Did it come back 100%...have you noticed a change in the smell or taste of wine? And to keep this in the Wine Talk thread...what wine would you suggest that could kick the hell out of the anosmia, and get back your vinous life again?

Thanks, and hope to see you soon... [cheers.gif]
The patients that I have dealt with took 3-5 weeks to get smell and taste back. Your mileage may vary.
Lawrence G. Leichtman

lleichtman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#77 Post by lleichtman » August 1st, 2020, 2:27 pm

lleichtman wrote:
August 1st, 2020, 2:25 pm
B. Buzzini wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 10:20 am
Hi...remember me? Unfortunately contracted the 19 three weeks ago, started with headache and fever, then three days later flu fatigue, a burning sensation in the nasal...and lost ALL smell and taste! And I mean...totally gone! I won't bore you with all the details...I wasn't hospitalized, and was able to go back to work in 14 days. It is now 21 days, still not back to normal, but getting better. The loss of smell and taste started to come back after about 16 days...but still is not totally back yet. Have not had any wine in 21days since this one viewtopic.php?f=1&t=171648&p=3029729&hi ... s#p3029000. I tell you what...I am very thankful that none of my family contracted it, and that I wasn't hit as hard as a lot of people who are really suffering or dying. But losing your taste and smell like that, and have read reports that it might be permanent (Anosmia)...a real sense of panic and depression sets in, wondering if you will ever be able to enjoy food and wine ever again! [shock.gif]
So...I'm wondering who else has been going, or has gone, through this...and how long it took to get back your taste and smell? Did it come back 100%...have you noticed a change in the smell or taste of wine? And to keep this in the Wine Talk thread...what wine would you suggest that could kick the hell out of the anosmia, and get back your vinous life again?

Thanks, and hope to see you soon... [cheers.gif]
The patients that I have dealt with took 3-5 weeks to get smell and taste back. Your mileage may vary.
Forgot to add, glad you came out of the other side OK. champagne.gif
Lawrence G. Leichtman

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#78 Post by Jay Miller » August 1st, 2020, 3:33 pm

Robert and Jen - glad to hear you came out of it okay.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Jeremy Holmes

#79 Post by Jeremy Holmes » August 1st, 2020, 5:07 pm

Great to have you back Mr Buzz. I was wondering where you had gone. Sounds like your temperature was as high as your scores!
ITB

MitchTallan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#80 Post by MitchTallan » August 1st, 2020, 6:51 pm

Alfert, you sure have had quite the life of cataclysmic events-heart attack, bad bike crashes, Corona virus, creaming a deer with your Range Rover....

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#81 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » August 1st, 2020, 7:07 pm

MitchTallan wrote:
August 1st, 2020, 6:51 pm
Alfert, you sure have had quite the life of cataclysmic events-heart attack, bad bike crashes, Corona virus, creaming a deer with your Range Rover....

Haha, and that’s just the last 3 years(!), but all with humorous notes. There was also another surgery and a minor fender-bender in between. [wow.gif] Always look and plow forward as you can’t change the past. I still consider myself one very lucky MOFO. Had a killer ride yesterday, tucked in just before the hurricane hits us!
Last edited by Robert.A.Jr. on August 2nd, 2020, 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kenny H (circa 2015)

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#82 Post by c fu » August 1st, 2020, 10:03 pm

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
B. Buzzini wrote:
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:

Yep, I had it, too.

[cheers.gif] Brother

It took covid for you to admit that working remote could be productive!?!?! [snort.gif] [snort.gif]
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Vincent Fritzsche
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#83 Post by Vincent Fritzsche » August 1st, 2020, 11:20 pm

Buzz and Robert, good to hear you’re both on the mend. People I know who’ve had it seem to agree - you do NOT want it! A wine friend who got it says they’re getting their sense of smell back, but yeah that would be scary. I wish we had better testing, it’s hard to understand. Thanks for talking about your experiences. Cheers!
Vincent - ITB

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#84 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » August 2nd, 2020, 2:46 am

c fu wrote:
August 1st, 2020, 10:03 pm

It took covid for you to admit that working remote could be productive!?!?! [snort.gif] [snort.gif]

Ha, given our prior off-line and on-line discussions, I knew you were gonna do that! neener

Hey man, young or old, never stop learning. Or admitting when you are partly wrong.

I still feel very strongly that being in the office, at least in our profession, is the better and more collaborative approach. At the associate level, being seen and heard is also very important for advancement. Off-line, I could show you some statics showing which camp is most productive, at least in my office. I was productive because I was bored and buried. I also have a mostly transactional practice. Any boy did I miss my team, the social component is so important.

Kenny H (circa 2015)

andrew messenger

#85 Post by andrew messenger » August 2nd, 2020, 4:15 am

Glad you are almost fully recovered. What is RONA?

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#86 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » August 2nd, 2020, 4:45 am

andrew messenger wrote:
August 2nd, 2020, 4:15 am
Glad you are almost fully recovered. What is RONA?
Lol.

Urban slang for Corona Virus.

“Dude, you got the ‘Rona!”

Kenny H (circa 2015)

andrew messenger

#87 Post by andrew messenger » August 2nd, 2020, 1:42 pm

Ah! Thanks Robert. I live the SUBurbs, that explains it. I did figure out what the 19 was!

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#88 Post by David Glasser » August 2nd, 2020, 1:52 pm

Sorry to hear you guys were sick but glad you came through it, hopefully with full return of your sense of smell.

dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#89 Post by dcornutt » August 2nd, 2020, 3:05 pm

So happy you guys are now feeling good.
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

Ian S

#90 Post by Ian S » August 2nd, 2020, 5:49 pm

It's great to hear everyone is recovering well.

I would think a nice bottle of Port would kick the stuffing out of the 'rona and snap those nasal passage back into form.
S t 1 g 0 m a n

Alan Eden - Berserker [berserker.gif] and Master Pot Stirrer [stirthepothal.gif] forever!

"I swear to god, I've never seen so many whiny bitches in one place in my life." - Steve Saxon, 01/30/18
"Moral superiority can taste awfully good to some." - David Kantrowitz, 05/29/19

Peter Kleban
GCC Member
GCC Member

#91 Post by Peter Kleban » August 2nd, 2020, 6:59 pm

Buzz, Robert and Jen: Sorry to hear you had it, but glad it's (mostly) past and wasn't super serious. One person in the family who went through it was in bed for about 4-5 days, had anosmia, but IIRC no fever. Not sure how long the anosmia lasted--some weeks I think. It also took some weeks before his lungs were fully back to normal.

Hope full recovery is soon for all of you!
Bob Wood:
"Peter..your well-reasoned words were a waste of time."
WsOTY:
Paetra Pinot Blanc Coast Rng '18
Terrien Chard '15
Dirty & Rowdy Evangelho '17
Giacosa Arneis '16
Bêcheur Chard Anderson Vly '18
Felettig Morey St. Denis VV '14
Bêcheur PN '14
Felletig Chambolle-Mus VV '14
Pépière Muscadet VV Briords '09
Volpaia Chianti Classico '18

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Location: Within walking distance of William Penn's Walking Purchase

#92 Post by Richard T r i m p i » August 3rd, 2020, 6:51 am

Jay Miller wrote:
August 1st, 2020, 3:33 pm
Robert and Jen - glad to hear you came out of it okay.
+1! And Buzz.

A couple of friends have been hospitalized....longer recoveries. Glad to hear it was contained and not spread widely to family members and friends. Asymptomatic spread (superspreaders especially) is scary.

RT

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#93 Post by John Morris » August 3rd, 2020, 8:18 am

Buzz-- Good luck with the recovery.

I lost my sense of smell once back in the 80s after a case of the flu. Wine tasted awful -- just sour and bitter. It took several months to fully recovery, and it was well into that period before I wanted to drink any wine. Happily, I've never seemed to suffer any permanent degradation of my sense of smell.
"I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated." - Pete Townsend

"If God had meant me to touch my toes, he'd have put them on my knees." - heard on the radio

B. Buzzini
GCC Member
GCC Member

#94 Post by B. Buzzini » August 7th, 2020, 4:55 pm

I can finally taste and smell...and this is the wine that did it! After a couple previous attempts, which had my palate tasting SO much acid that I could strip paint...I’m finally able to enjoy this wine, and taste the fruit and most of the nuances! Four weeks to the day since I last enjoyed vino.
Attachments
08C50F1A-B8BC-45F8-9B57-D1E1C4EFD3B4.jpeg
Meursault-head!

B. = Brian

AD Northup
GCC Member
GCC Member

#95 Post by AD Northup » August 7th, 2020, 5:12 pm

B. Buzzini wrote:
August 7th, 2020, 4:55 pm
I can finally taste and smell...and this is the wine that did it! After a couple previous attempts, which had my palate tasting SO much acid that I could strip paint...I’m finally able to enjoy this wine, and taste the fruit and most of the nuances! Four weeks to the day since I last enjoyed vino.
[cheers.gif]
A n d r e w N o r t h u p

2020 WsOTY:

2015 Roses de Jeanne / Cédric Bouchard Champagne Blanc de Noirs La Presle (#1)
1954 Fontanafredda Barbaresco
2015 Ultramarine BdB

2019 WsOTY:
1994 Edmunds St. John Les Côtes Sauvages
2016 P. S. Garcia Grenache Piedra Lisa
2002 Perrier-Jouet Belle Époque
2005 Faja dos Padres Malvasia

Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member

#96 Post by Steve Gautier » August 7th, 2020, 5:14 pm

B. Buzzini wrote:
Great news. I need to open one of those.
Good wine is a necessity of life. - Thomas Jefferson

William Kelley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#97 Post by William Kelley » August 7th, 2020, 5:25 pm

B. Buzzini wrote:
Thank you so much! flirtysmile

Glad you're back in action, here's to many more nice bottles champagne.gif
The Wine Advocate

P@u1_M3nk3s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#98 Post by P@u1_M3nk3s » August 7th, 2020, 5:37 pm

Got my checklist

1. If diagnosed, use remdesivir
2. If recovering, drink Beau Rivage stat!
Cheers,
Paul

Mike Grammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#99 Post by Mike Grammer » August 7th, 2020, 6:26 pm

Jeremy Holmes wrote:
August 1st, 2020, 5:07 pm
Great to have you back Mr Buzz. I was wondering where you had gone. Sounds like your temperature was as high as your scores!
Now *that*---that wasn't nice [grin.gif]. Well played, Jeremy!

Buzz, I'll only believe you're back when I see the next effusive Meursault TN.

Seriously, you and Bob and Jen all (sorry Jen, didn't realize you were a member/poster here!), glad to hear you all came through a bout of this OK. Continue improving health and sensory perception, will hope for normal return for you as soon as possible.

Mike
Last edited by Mike Grammer on August 8th, 2020, 7:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lived Life. With Love. Full Cup

Jen M a s o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#100 Post by Jen M a s o n » August 7th, 2020, 7:14 pm

So glad to hear the fruit is back Buzz... there is nothing worse than tasting that acid and knowing there is something more that you are missing!
I still have some taste glitches every once in awhile, so don’t be surprised if it takes longer to get to 100%

Return to “Wine Talk”