Got the RONA...no smell, no taste, no WINE!

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Nick Christie

Re: Got the RONA...no smell, no taste, no WINE!

#101 Post by Nick Christie »

Hurray for being back! Great news :)

B. Buzzini
GCC Member
GCC Member

#102 Post by B. Buzzini »

Jen M a s o n wrote: August 7th, 2020, 7:14 pm So glad to hear the fruit is back Buzz... there is nothing worse than tasting that acid and knowing there is something more that you are missing!
I still have some taste glitches every once in awhile, so don’t be surprised if it takes longer to get to 100%
Thanks Jen! I’m glad you came through the other side...although I was a little worried when I saw that it took you 3 months to get your senses back! One month was LONG enough! Can’t imagine three! [cheers.gif]
Meursault-head!

B. = Brian

Terry H a r r i s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#103 Post by Terry H a r r i s »

Jen, Brian and Robert, glad each of you is feeling better. And thanks for sharing your experiences!! [cheers.gif]
His wife told a 911 operator that she used a pruner "good for pruning roses" and that James's bleeding wasn't enough to create the "sign of the cross, or write sinner" . . . .

Oh, and I pay money to those ITB

Dan Kravitz
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#104 Post by Dan Kravitz »

Buzz & Robert,

So sorry you got it, so glad that you're both on the mend.

Buzz: The obvious test case to see if your schnozz and tongue are returning would be a strong Alsace Gewurztraminer.

Dan Kravitz
swillmaster - ITB

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#105 Post by Robert.A.Jr. »

B. Buzzini wrote: August 7th, 2020, 4:55 pm I can finally taste and smell...and this is the wine that did it! After a couple previous attempts, which had my palate tasting SO much acid that I could strip paint...I’m finally able to enjoy this wine, and taste the fruit and most of the nuances! Four weeks to the day since I last enjoyed vino.

Hey, you may be recovering quicker than me! [wow.gif]

My sense of smell is still not 100% and the sense of acids remains a but higher than normal. I flipped to Scotch last night! I’m appreciating wine very much, but still a bit off where I would not go pop some Buzz-level mega-wine right now. I may still have a little sinus congestion that is either lingering or new. Gonna do a quick check with the doc this week.

Buzz are you sensing anything physical as well, like overall recovery? I’ve taken it easy for several weeks, just moderate pace bike rides, long walks. I tried to hit it hard this past week on the Peloton, and I’m definitely off by 15-20%. I’m sure part of that is the 3 weeks of nothing during the illness and convalescence, but was notably to me this week, as I had assumed physically that I was back to norm.
“Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my sh*t.“
(Country Squire, circa 2020)

Br1an Th0rne
GCC Member
GCC Member

#106 Post by Br1an Th0rne »

Buzz and Robert, I'm glad to hear that both of you are on the mend. Thanks so much for sharing your experiences, and best wishes for continued speedy (and full) recovery!

B. Buzzini
GCC Member
GCC Member

#107 Post by B. Buzzini »

Robert.A.Jr. wrote: August 10th, 2020, 5:31 am
B. Buzzini wrote: August 7th, 2020, 4:55 pm I can finally taste and smell...and this is the wine that did it! After a couple previous attempts, which had my palate tasting SO much acid that I could strip paint...I’m finally able to enjoy this wine, and taste the fruit and most of the nuances! Four weeks to the day since I last enjoyed vino.

Hey, you may be recovering quicker than me! [wow.gif]

My sense of smell is still not 100% and the sense of acids remains a but higher than normal. I flipped to Scotch last night! I’m appreciating wine very much, but still a bit off where I would not go pop some Buzz-level mega-wine right now. I may still have a little sinus congestion that is either lingering or new. Gonna do a quick check with the doc this week.

Buzz are you sensing anything physical as well, like overall recovery? I’ve taken it easy for several weeks, just moderate pace bike rides, long walks. I tried to hit it hard this past week on the Peloton, and I’m definitely off by 15-20%. I’m sure part of that is the 3 weeks of nothing during the illness and convalescence, but was notably to me this week, as I had assumed physically that I was back to norm.
Still have some lingering congestion, which I believe might be the key to full recovery of the senses when that clears up. Fatigue is definitely still there as well, but more slightly. Haven't done any physical activity yet, except hit some golf balls the other day. Will ride the bike the next few days as I'm off work. Noticed that when I did have some wine, that I only had maybe a glass or two. The alc hit me much quicker, and I didn't want to push it. Drank a little more than half bottle of Sandlands Mataro last night, which felt ok. Getting back into shape! [training.gif]
Meursault-head!

B. = Brian

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#108 Post by Robert.A.Jr. »

No doubt, when I started back, the alcohol smacked me very quickly. Even last night I didn’t pour the Scotch too heavily. Still effecting me a bit more than usual.

Julian Marshall
GCC Member
GCC Member

#109 Post by Julian Marshall »

I'm sorry - I completely missed this thread during our holiday so haven't reacted before. With this horrible thing it is of course only a matter of time before someone one knows or "knows" gets it. Anyway, relieved to read that you are all out of it now.

Glen Gold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#110 Post by Glen Gold »

So my girlfriend and I think we had an exceptionally mild case of it in April. Since then we have disagreed about wines more than we've agreed. We just realized this evening that she felt one Cal chardonnay was undrinkable garbage whereas I thought it was honeyed and I felt pretty much the same way about the one she preferred. And then we started thinking about all the times we've been disagreeing on wines in the last 3 months. A lot. Our tasters are off. Not saying it's post-Covid but it's very odd.

Mark Morrissette
GCC Member
GCC Member

#111 Post by Mark Morrissette »

Very helpful thread, thank you for all who posted and shared their experiences.

I, and my two college-age kids, have all tested positive (somehow, after two weeks of living with us, my wife is still negative). All have had fairly mild cases, but we have all lost our smell and taste. The kids are starting to get theirs back, but mine is still completely shot. (I am about 4 days in on the no-smell and taste.)

Very helpful to read the experiences of those who have gone through it, and some advice on here from medical folks with very relevant experience. Thank you!

It is amazing how much I miss tasting food and wine, but it could be worse!

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#112 Post by Robert.A.Jr. »

I have been meeting to circle back to this thread and just forgot about it recently. I am still not 100% back with my sense of smell. The pallet seems good, but I’m not picking up a lot of the nuances from the sense of smell that I used to have. I seem to also do much better with higher ass at wines, especially in pain.*. Wow have I been drinking a lot more champagne toast Covid, seems apropos.

* Typos are brought to you by courtesy of iPhone dictation, too funny to correct

G. Curd
GCC Member
GCC Member

#113 Post by G. Curd »

That is great news! Glad to hear that Buzz, Robert, and Jen are all back to feeling well and, also importantly, tasting wine again!
G a v i n

Glen Gold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#114 Post by Glen Gold »

Our PCPs have put both me and my girlfriend down for post-Covid syndrome. We never tested positive, nor do we have measurable antibodies, but we each have a host of minor symptoms. As per the above, neither of us lost our sense of taste, but something that's been happening at weird times is that my sense of smell has gone through the roof, as in massively improved. I can smell things from two rooms away. But then it goes back to normal again. Alcohol sometimes seems very shrill to me, but not to my girlfriend or to company - and that particular symptom seems to be easing over time.

Julian Marshall
GCC Member
GCC Member

#115 Post by Julian Marshall »

Well, it had to happen - my family and I have tested positive - so far no major issues. I still have my sense of taste at the moment, so I will wait a bit longer before cracking open those Right Bank wines I was keeping specially! I always was a crap taster anyway so it probably won't change much!

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#116 Post by Robert.A.Jr. »

Julian Marshall wrote: November 10th, 2020, 7:35 am Well, it had to happen - my family and I have tested positive - so far no major issues. I still have my sense of taste at the moment, so I will wait a bit longer before cracking open those Right Bank wines I was keeping specially! I always was a crap taster anyway so it probably won't change much!
Ugh that does suck, but the silver lining is, now you can drink those Rolland wines you didn’t know what to do with!

Mike Grammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#117 Post by Mike Grammer »

Hope you and family can ride this out safely, Julian. Stay as well as you can

Mike
Lived Life. With Love. Full Cup

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#118 Post by Jay Miller »

Robert.A.Jr. wrote: November 8th, 2020, 1:24 pm I have been meeting to circle back to this thread and just forgot about it recently. I am still not 100% back with my sense of smell. The pallet seems good, but I’m not picking up a lot of the nuances from the sense of smell that I used to have. I seem to also do much better with higher ass at wines, especially in pain.*. Wow have I been drinking a lot more champagne toast Covid, seems apropos.

* Typos are brought to you by courtesy of iPhone dictation, too funny to correct
Sometimes I think autocorrect/dictation does it on purpose. [cheers.gif]
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Rich K0rz€nk0
GCC Member
GCC Member

#119 Post by Rich K0rz€nk0 »

Robert.A.Jr. wrote: November 10th, 2020, 8:16 am
Julian Marshall wrote: November 10th, 2020, 7:35 am Well, it had to happen - my family and I have tested positive - so far no major issues. I still have my sense of taste at the moment, so I will wait a bit longer before cracking open those Right Bank wines I was keeping specially! I always was a crap taster anyway so it probably won't change much!
Ugh that does suck, but the silver lining is, now you can drink those Rolland wines you didn’t know what to do with!
Lol, now that's funny lol

I guess everything has an occasion.
Time Person of the Year - 2006

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#120 Post by John Morris »

Glen Gold wrote: November 8th, 2020, 1:29 pm Our PCPs have put both me and my girlfriend down for post-Covid syndrome. We never tested positive, nor do we have measurable antibodies, but we each have a host of minor symptoms. As per the above, neither of us lost our sense of taste, but something that's been happening at weird times is that my sense of smell has gone through the roof, as in massively improved. I can smell things from two rooms away. But then it goes back to normal again. Alcohol sometimes seems very shrill to me, but not to my girlfriend or to company - and that particular symptom seems to be easing over time.
When I lost my sense of smell from the flu many years ago, alcohol and tannin and acid were the only things I could perceive, because are not aromas. Red wines were bitter and hot, because the other flavors and aromas were missing.
Not my circus, not my monkeys.

Julian Marshall
GCC Member
GCC Member

#121 Post by Julian Marshall »

Cheers guys - Robert got it completely - reminds me of Lost in Translation:

For Rona Time, make it Rolland Time!

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#122 Post by Neal.Mollen »

Robert.A.Jr. wrote: November 8th, 2020, 1:24 pm I have been meeting to circle back to this thread and just forgot about it recently. I am still not 100% back with my sense of smell. The pallet seems good, but I’m not picking up a lot of the nuances from the sense of smell that I used to have. I seem to also do much better with higher ass at wines, especially in pain.*. Wow have I been drinking a lot more champagne toast Covid, seems apropos.

Post of the year. Hope you get back to 100% soon, and everyone else as well!
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#123 Post by Merrill Lindquist »

Neal.Mollen wrote: November 10th, 2020, 8:52 am

Post of the year. Hope you get back to 100% soon, and everyone else as well!
flirtysmile champagne.gif
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

Rich K0rz€nk0
GCC Member
GCC Member

#124 Post by Rich K0rz€nk0 »

Robert.A.Jr. wrote: November 8th, 2020, 1:24 pm Wow have I been drinking a lot more champagne toast Covid, seems apropos.

COVID-Toast.jpg
Time Person of the Year - 2006

J. Galang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#125 Post by J. Galang »

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/one-cov ... 49731.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... e-reviews/

Not trying to be an alarmist, but not so great news regarding lingering side effects of having Covid-19. I bit too early to tell, I guess we will see in the next few years once more studies are done.
Joel Galang

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#126 Post by Robert.A.Jr. »

My sense of smell is still off and a bit different. I’ve noticed that I cannot tolerate the smell of Chobani yogurt, something that before I ate almost daily. I fear admitting this, but I also used to eat a lot of cheese puffs - a guilty pleasure - and I cannot handle the smell some days either. One some days, my nose still does not pick up the nuances of some of the wines that I drink. Not always but often enough to bother me.

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#127 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

Robert.A.Jr. wrote: January 12th, 2021, 12:28 pm My sense of smell is still off and a bit different. I’ve noticed that I cannot tolerate the smell of Chobani yogurt, something that before I ate almost daily. I fear admitting this, but I also used to eat a lot of cheese puffs - a guilty pleasure - and I cannot handle the smell some days either. One some days, my nose still does not pick up the nuances of some of the wines that I drink. Not always but often enough to bother me.
Wishing you the best of luck. When I lost my sense of smell in 2010 it came back very slowly, and with permanent changes. I doubt COVID will be identical in how it progresses compared to my concussion, but I can certainly understand if there are things that don’t end up the same as they were pre-COVID.

Time to sell those crappy Loire Cab Francs. ;)
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

P@u1_M3nk3s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#128 Post by P@u1_M3nk3s »

D@vid Bu3ker wrote: January 12th, 2021, 12:50 pm
Robert.A.Jr. wrote: January 12th, 2021, 12:28 pm My sense of smell is still off and a bit different. I’ve noticed that I cannot tolerate the smell of Chobani yogurt, something that before I ate almost daily. I fear admitting this, but I also used to eat a lot of cheese puffs - a guilty pleasure - and I cannot handle the smell some days either. One some days, my nose still does not pick up the nuances of some of the wines that I drink. Not always but often enough to bother me.
Wishing you the best of luck. When I lost my sense of smell in 2010 it came back very slowly, and with permanent changes. I doubt COVID will be identical in how it progresses compared to my concussion, but I can certainly understand if there are things that don’t end up the same as they were pre-COVID.

Time to sell those crappy Loire Cab Francs. ;)
To further make light of a serious subject, just send me the crappy Loire Cabbies and I'll send you some delicious high-octane de Negoce...............
Cheers,
Paul

Mark Morrissette
GCC Member
GCC Member

#129 Post by Mark Morrissette »

Pleased/fortunate to say that for now, I have no lingering side effects.

Taste and smell are fully back. I had a full blood panel done a couple of weeks after recovery, and everything was completely normal.

Fingers crossed it all stays that way!

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#130 Post by Alan Rath »

How about those Klondike bars?

Hope you continue to recover, and get back to normal. Whatever that is ;)
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#131 Post by Robert.A.Jr. »

Ha. Klondike bars still rock! Taste nirvana.

I’m still doing good with Loire, seems like the higher acid wines are better for me right now. Not picking up everything in the nose but palate is good.

Peter C.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#132 Post by Peter C. »

Buddy in Colorado had his whole family come down with covid, very mild symptoms he classified as somewhere between a regular cold and the flu. He said he was normal after 4 days. However, 2 weeks since any other symptoms, and he'll occasionally wake up in the middle of the night smelling vomit/sulfur or bacon! He never lost taste or smell fwiw. And talk about different smells!
( z y ® y ( @

B. Buzzini
GCC Member
GCC Member

#133 Post by B. Buzzini »

Mine came back completely after a month our so. No lingering affects. Had a "run down" cold/sinus infection right after Xmas, and my wife and two daughters caught the Rona unfortunately. I put everyone on antibiotics just in case infection as well. They lost taste/smell only for a week or so, and kicked the Rona within 2. I thought I would be one of the "lucky" ones and get it twice, but tested negative. Hopefully we are in the clear from here.
Meursault-head!

B. = Brian

Noah C

#134 Post by Noah C »

I also had COVID-19 and completely lost my smell. The realization came when I popped open a bottle of Kamptal Gruner, stuck my nose in the glass, and thought I may have filled it with water! My smell was completely lost, my taste was diminished to 20% or so. As shitty as the experience was, I did really enjoy paying attention to the texture of drinks. Believe it or not, I found cold Bailey's to be super delicious- cold, mouth coating, and viscous. I couldn't get many flavors other than sweet richness, and it was fantastic- really a remarkable experience that I'm probably (hopefully) never going to quite have again. It was a small but nice comfort to have during my 2 week isolation of not seeing another human being. I'm very glad to have my smell and taste back, but it was almost worth it for that glass fo Baileys. Lesson...if you haven't gotten COVID yet, pick up a bottle of Baileys and stick in the freezer, just in case!
C a p

Doug Hein

#135 Post by Doug Hein »

B. Buzzini wrote: January 12th, 2021, 4:50 pm Mine came back completely after a month our so. No lingering affects. Had a "run down" cold/sinus infection right after Xmas, and my wife and two daughters caught the Rona unfortunately. I put everyone on antibiotics just in case infection as well. They lost taste/smell only for a week or so, and kicked the Rona within 2. I thought I would be one of the "lucky" ones and get it twice, but tested negative. Hopefully we are in the clear from here.
I had it in November. Fairly mild, low grade fever 2 days, pounding headache day 1, muscle/neck stiffness day 2-3, tired for a few days and quick recovery. On about day 3, I noticed diminished smell/taste, and next day it was significantly diminished. I immediately went to the liquor cab to smell some scotch. Nada. Poured a taste of wine from the tap. Slight acidic/vinigar taste and no aroma. For a couple of days, I had the same thoughts/concerns as you. Fortunately, it came back very quickly, but I certainly have an appreciation for the difficulty that would present if prolonged. The upside, I figured, was that my wine budget would be dramatically reduced and I could drink Menage a Trois and Jam Jar like my relatives. lol

Tried to figure out where I may have been exposed with no luck ... until my wife and youngest daughter still living with us never got sick, and then got tested for antibodies just after their quarantine. Both positive. We thought back to mid-late October when they both had "sinus infections." My wife then recalled that one day she popped a zinc lozenge in her mouth and didn't taste it. They had consulted their doctors, and their symptoms were not suspicious (except in retrospect). My wife almost always gets some allergies in the fall leading to a sinus infection.

Anyway, glad your taste/smell came back. The morning mine returned, my wife had brought eggs and toast downstairs for me. I took a bite and BAM! flavor never seemed so awesome!

Jayson Cohen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#136 Post by Jayson Cohen »

Johannes Leitz has COVID and some side effects. He has been posting about it on Instagram since New Years if anyone wants to pop over and wish him well.

Return to “Wine Talk”