Got the RONA...no smell, no taste, no WINE!

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
B. Buzzini
GCC Member
GCC Member

Got the RONA...no smell, no taste, no WINE!

#1 Post by B. Buzzini » July 31st, 2020, 10:20 am

Hi...remember me? Unfortunately contracted the 19 three weeks ago, started with headache and fever, then three days later flu fatigue, a burning sensation in the nasal...and lost ALL smell and taste! And I mean...totally gone! I won't bore you with all the details...I wasn't hospitalized, and was able to go back to work in 14 days. It is now 21 days, still not back to normal, but getting better. The loss of smell and taste started to come back after about 16 days...but still is not totally back yet. Have not had any wine in 21days since this one viewtopic.php?f=1&t=171648&p=3029729&hi ... s#p3029000. I tell you what...I am very thankful that none of my family contracted it, and that I wasn't hit as hard as a lot of people who are really suffering or dying. But losing your taste and smell like that, and have read reports that it might be permanent (Anosmia)...a real sense of panic and depression sets in, wondering if you will ever be able to enjoy food and wine ever again! [shock.gif]
So...I'm wondering who else has been going, or has gone, through this...and how long it took to get back your taste and smell? Did it come back 100%...have you noticed a change in the smell or taste of wine? And to keep this in the Wine Talk thread...what wine would you suggest that could kick the hell out of the anosmia, and get back your vinous life again?

Thanks, and hope to see you soon... [cheers.gif]
Meursault-head!

B. = Brian

Sean S y d n e y
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Got the RONA...no smell, no taste, no WINE!

#2 Post by Sean S y d n e y » July 31st, 2020, 10:24 am

Not much to say other than get fully well soon, and glad you're on the mend.
Instagram: @seansydney

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Neal.Mollen » July 31st, 2020, 10:26 am

B. Buzzini wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 10:20 am
Hi...remember me? Unfortunately contracted the 19 three weeks ago, started with headache and fever, then three days later flu fatigue, a burning sensation in the nasal...and lost ALL smell and taste! And I mean...totally gone! I won't bore you with all the details...I wasn't hospitalized, and was able to go back to work in 14 days. It is now 21 days, still not back to normal, but getting better. The loss of smell and taste started to come back after about 16 days...but still is not totally back yet. Have not had any wine in 21days since this one viewtopic.php?f=1&t=171648&p=3029729&hi ... s#p3029000. I tell you what...I am very thankful that none of my family contracted it, and that I wasn't hit as hard as a lot of people who are really suffering or dying. But losing your taste and smell like that, and have read reports that it might be permanent (Anosmia)...a real sense of panic and depression sets in, wondering if you will ever be able to enjoy food and wine ever again! [shock.gif]
So...I'm wondering who else has been going, or has gone, through this...and how long it took to get back your taste and smell? Did it come back 100%...have you noticed a change in the smell or taste of wine? And to keep this in the Wine Talk thread...what wine would you suggest that could kick the hell out of the anosmia, and get back your vinous life again?

Damn Buzz, so glad you have come out the other side! Sorry about your senses, but given what might have happened sounds like you got fairly lucky! Anyway, happy to see you back.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » July 31st, 2020, 10:28 am

Glad you are getting better Buzz. I had anosmia for a different reason (head injury) ten years ago, and it was a loooong road back. I decided to gt back on the horse fairly quickly, and two things happened: I gained a much greater understanding and appreciation for structure and balance in wines, as I did not have the fruity stuff to worry about, and secondly it slowly retrained my senses, as I was so focused on trying to tease anything out of the wines.

So if I were you I would just start trying, obviously with more daily drinker type wines.

Reach out if you want to discuss in any more detail. Good luck!
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Greg Gardner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Greg Gardner » July 31st, 2020, 10:49 am

Yikes Buzz, very glad to hear you are on the mend. Your positivity and enthusiasm has been clear since the WCWN days, and I'm sure your glass half full outlook on life was a factor in your ability to beat this stuff.

I would echo David's thought to start with cellar defenders as a low stakes way to get back in the saddle. Maybe some highly perfumed BoJo?

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Scott Brunson » July 31st, 2020, 10:52 am

Ouch Buzz
We drank SL Mataro last night. I wish I had known that we need to toast to your health. Hopefully the recovery is swift.
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

Jeff_M.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Jeff_M. » July 31st, 2020, 10:57 am

Damn Buzz. Glad to hear you are on the mend. I would switch over to hard alcohol to kick start your taste buds.
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates
2007 Yangarra Estate High Sands Grenache
1986 Spottswoode Cabernet

G. Curd

#8 Post by G. Curd » July 31st, 2020, 11:11 am

Glad to hear you are well Buzz. That must have been a very scary time. I'm glad to hear you are doing better now. From the limited studies I have read they are very encouraging in terms of recovering your sense of smell and taste. The time it took for people to get their smell/taste back ranged greatly from 1 week to over 4 weeks. There really isn't much out there because Covid is rather new. However, from what I have read it sounds very promising that you will have your taste/smell back and should have it back fairly soon. It does seem that most people regain it slowly like David said. I am not a doctor so this is only from a layman's reading of reports. The best news is that you came out the other side and didn't have to be hospitalized. Keep us posted on how it goes. I wish you the best and hope you feel back to normal asap. I left a link to a few things I read below that were a bit easier to read. They are not very exciting to read, but it may make you feel a bit better about the prospects. I wish you a speedy recovery!

A little data on the topic

Graphs- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/core/lw/2. ... 4-g002.jpg

Entire Test/Article from a Korean study - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7211515/

More breif article- https://journalotohns.biomedcentral.com ... 20-00423-8

MODS- Please let me know if outside links are not allowed or need to be cleared by anyone. If they are not I will remove them immediately.
Last edited by G. Curd on July 31st, 2020, 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
G a v i n

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Anton D » July 31st, 2020, 11:13 am

Very glad you are OK...and looking forward to your notes when your smeller is back in shape! [cheers.gif]
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

robert creth
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by robert creth » July 31st, 2020, 11:30 am

First of all, glad you are doing better. Give yourself a break and appreciate that you have dodged a bullet. Things are going to take time so maybe just take a month away from wine. I think most of us are feeling some version of PTSD and the depression is real. This is along time to be unmoored from normality. We cant fast forward things we have no control of so deep breaths and give yourself time and permission to heal. As for vino if you want, now may the time for big and jammy.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Jay Miller » July 31st, 2020, 11:33 am

Glad to hear you're on the mend and hope your senses recover soon!
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Rich Brown » July 31st, 2020, 11:35 am

Oh man, so sorry to hear that Buzz, but very happy that you're on the upswing! Sending positive thoughts your way buddy!

B. Buzzini
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by B. Buzzini » July 31st, 2020, 11:53 am

Thanks everyone, appreciate the well wishes! Btw, the testing for covid is a joke! Took 15days for my results to come back. So much for the contact tracers...
Meursault-head!

B. = Brian

Peter C.

#14 Post by Peter C. » July 31st, 2020, 11:56 am

B. Buzzini wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 11:53 am
Thanks everyone, appreciate the well wishes! Btw, the testing for covid is a joke! Took 15days for my results to come back. So much for the contact tracers...
Wow! Glad you're ok but as a fellow Steelers fan, it makes sense you kicked Covid's tail champagne.gif

Any sense (no pun intended) on how you were infected or no clue?
( z y ® y ( @

cjsavino
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by cjsavino » July 31st, 2020, 11:57 am

Be well Buzz, glad you are n the mend. I remember a couple years ago with a nasty cold losing all taste and smell for a day or so, could not imagine going weeks like that. Eating food solely on texture is unpleasant
Chris

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Craig G » July 31st, 2020, 12:02 pm

Bummer. Hope you are back to 100% soon. We miss your notes and enthusiasm.
B. Buzzini wrote:
This seems all over the map. My daughter was tested in the South Bay and had results in 36 hours. Some noted wine influencers from LA were getting results back within a day, I think. But I’ve also heard other stories like yours.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Brian Glas

#17 Post by Brian Glas » July 31st, 2020, 12:05 pm

Sorry to hear. Hope you get better soon.

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#18 Post by larry schaffer » July 31st, 2020, 12:20 pm

Buzz,

Was wondering why I wasn't seeing more mouth watering pictures from you . . . So sorry to hear and hope things get 'back to normal', so to speak, sooner rather than later.

Cheers!
larry schaffer
tercero wines

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by David K o l i n » July 31st, 2020, 12:22 pm

Get weller, Buzz

Gabe Berk

#20 Post by Gabe Berk » July 31st, 2020, 12:33 pm

Glad to hear you are healthy and survived! Sounds like in time smell comes back according to the article linked below. Promising...

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/293 ... -diagnosis

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by PeterH » July 31st, 2020, 12:50 pm

I was wondering when we would hear from Berserkers hit by the COVID. I hope any who are come out on the other side like you to tell us about the experience.

Here is a link to a brief explanation about how COVID-19 disrupts supporting cells, not the receptor neurons themselves. That gives a lot more assurance that loss of smell is not permanent.

https://hms.harvard.edu/news/how-covid- ... loss-smell
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

Philip Ente

#22 Post by Philip Ente » July 31st, 2020, 12:55 pm

This is my field.
We do not know for sure why there is olfactory dysfunction but the French experts feel it is due to epithelial modification rather than destruction of the olfactory sensory neurons, and this would be good news.This article from Harvard is pretty much saying the same thing. Try vitamin A daily .

Don't know where you live but you could see Dr. Richard Doty of the ENT dept at University of Pennsylvania to see if he can do anything.

Chris S p i k e s

#23 Post by Chris S p i k e s » July 31st, 2020, 1:02 pm

My BIL just had it. Fortunately, no big deal for him and only 1 day of mild symptoms. Lost his sense of smell, but didn't stop him from drinking wine for the 10 days after while quarantined at home. Smell came back towards the end and today he's released back into the public.

Patrick Stella

#24 Post by Patrick Stella » July 31st, 2020, 1:15 pm

B. Buzzini wrote:

Hi Brian,

I'm sorry to hear about your illness. Here's wishing you a full and speedy recovery and particularly a return to full taste and smell ASAP.

To share one data point for whatever it is worth, one person I know well who also works in the wine industry contracted covid and suffered full loss of smell and taste. That person took several weeks but made a very full recovery and I know has been drinking lots of great wine recently without missing a beat. I hope that it provides a little comfort to know other wine folks have come back from it with full taste and smell restored.
ITB -- WineCredit LLC

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Greg K » July 31st, 2020, 1:21 pm

Very sorry to hear that Brian, I hope you recovery fully!
Greg Kahn

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Brian Tuite » July 31st, 2020, 1:25 pm

B. Buzzini wrote:

From one Brian to another here’s hoping everything returns to normal for you. This thing scares the crap out of me and I have to be out in the public 5 days a week interacting with customers son it’s always in the back of my mind.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2020 WOTY Candidates

- 2018 Once & Future Old Hill Ranch

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Neal.Mollen » July 31st, 2020, 1:27 pm

Patrick Stella wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 1:15 pm
B. Buzzini wrote:

Hi Brian,

I'm sorry to hear about your illness. Here's wishing you a full and speedy recovery and particularly a return to full taste and smell ASAP.

To share one data point for whatever it is worth, one person I know well who also works in the wine industry contracted covid and suffered full loss of smell and taste. That person took several weeks but made a very full recovery and I know has been drinking lots of great wine recently without missing a beat. I hope that it provides a little comfort to know other wine folks have come back from it with full taste and smell restored.
My sister and her partner both had 19, bad, and both had anosmia. Both are back to normal now.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

P@u1_M3nk3s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by P@u1_M3nk3s » July 31st, 2020, 1:43 pm

Glad you are recovering Buzz!
Cheers,
Paul

Larry Link
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Larry Link » July 31st, 2020, 2:30 pm

Glad to hear you are on the mend Buzz. Have you been able to trace back to where you were exposed to the virus? Turn around time for testing is indeed a joke. Did you quarantine yourself after you got the symptoms and were tested?

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » July 31st, 2020, 2:33 pm

Dang, Buzz, sorry to hear that but glad to hear that you're on the way back. Here's to a 100% recovery! [cheers.gif]

T. Altmayer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by T. Altmayer » July 31st, 2020, 2:40 pm

Feel better soon Buzz, glad to hear you on are the mend. Can’t wait to read your first tasting note back.
Tom

Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Steve Gautier » July 31st, 2020, 2:58 pm

Looking forward to your first tasting note when back. Glad to hear you are heading in the right direction.
Good wine is a necessity of life. - Thomas Jefferson

B. Buzzini
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by B. Buzzini » July 31st, 2020, 3:18 pm

Larry Link wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 2:30 pm
Glad to hear you are on the mend Buzz. Have you been able to trace back to where you were exposed to the virus? Turn around time for testing is indeed a joke. Did you quarantine yourself after you got the symptoms and were tested?
Peter C. wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 11:56 am
B. Buzzini wrote:
Wow! Glad you're ok but as a fellow Steelers fan, it makes sense you kicked Covid's tail champagne.gif

Peter/Larry...most likely from work. I am a finance mgr at a high volume auto dealer, so we see a LOT of people come through the dealership. Even though we mandate face coverings, cleaning crew 3 times a day, shields on desks...and we even have a couple power sprayers that we spray down desks and chairs after each customer...I'm pretty sure that's where I got it. Ironically being the resident germophobe...I'm the only one that has come down with it...out of 100 people in our sales dept. I was on my second day off(of 4) when the symptoms started, so I self q'd at home(too sick to work) for two weeks. Amazing that my family didn't get it. But I did my best to stay away from them. They called me the Boy in the Bubble! [wow.gif]
Meursault-head!

B. = Brian

Joshua Kates
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Joshua Kates » July 31st, 2020, 3:26 pm

Glad you're getting better, hope you're back to the razor-sharp whites soon!
Neils Bohr had a horseshoe over the door to his country house. A visiting student said to him: "you don't believe in that, do you?" Bohr replied, "of course not," and added, "but you don't have to believe in it for it to work."

B. Buzzini
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by B. Buzzini » July 31st, 2020, 3:30 pm

larry schaffer wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 12:20 pm
Buzz,

Was wondering why I wasn't seeing more mouth watering pictures from you . . . So sorry to hear and hope things get 'back to normal', so to speak, sooner rather than later.

Cheers!
Wife just had me open your Cinsault Rose'...maybe I'll try to see if I can smell and taste it! [wink.gif]
Meursault-head!

B. = Brian

Dave McIsaac
BerserkerDay Champion
BerserkerDay Champion

#36 Post by Dave McIsaac » July 31st, 2020, 3:47 pm

Peter C. wrote:
B. Buzzini wrote:

Another Steeler fan here with well wishes for a complete return to health.

We need more 99 point tasting notes!! [cheers.gif]

PS - it took a week for my testing results to come back, which made it over 2 weeks since I was exposed to it. Fortunately, I was negative.
You're the man Dave! I think i speak for all of us when i say that..😎 - John Cabot, BDXI

Peter C.

#37 Post by Peter C. » July 31st, 2020, 3:54 pm

B. Buzzini wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 3:18 pm
Larry Link wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 2:30 pm
Peter C. wrote:
B. Buzzini wrote:

Peter/Larry...most likely from work. I am a finance mgr at a high volume auto dealer, so we see a LOT of people come through the dealership. Even though we mandate face coverings, cleaning crew 3 times a day, shields on desks...and we even have a couple power sprayers that we spray down desks and chairs after each customer...I'm pretty sure that's where I got it. Ironically being the resident germophobe...I'm the only one that has come down with it...out of 100 people in our sales dept. I was on my second day off(of 4) when the symptoms started, so I self q'd at home(too sick to work) for two weeks. Amazing that my family didn't get it. But I did my best to stay away from them. They called me the Boy in the Bubble! [wow.gif]
I'm the same way, I do everything to prevent from catching even a cold and so this has me super freaked out. Glad you're OK!
( z y ® y ( @

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » July 31st, 2020, 4:17 pm

Buzz, hoping you have a full recovery. I didn’t know you were a Steelers fan.

Dave McIsaac
BerserkerDay Champion
BerserkerDay Champion

#39 Post by Dave McIsaac » July 31st, 2020, 4:42 pm

Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 4:17 pm
Buzz, hoping you have a full recovery. I didn’t know you were a Steelers fan.
Yep, he is one of the smart ones..........
Last edited by Dave McIsaac on July 31st, 2020, 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're the man Dave! I think i speak for all of us when i say that..😎 - John Cabot, BDXI

Doug Lee
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Doug Lee » July 31st, 2020, 5:03 pm

Buzz,

So glad you are on the mend. The time arc of your recovery provides a lot of hope for a very good prognosis. Keep us posted, as you are now a human data point (and a great TN writer)!

Very best wishes,
Doug

Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Cris Whetstone » July 31st, 2020, 5:30 pm

Best of results there. You got it and gave it to no one. You didn't suffer bad enough for hospitalization. Getting back to normal takes time in these times. You've got time back. Hoping you don't suffer any of the long term effects some are experiencing. Pick out a good bottle to have handy for when you can smell again.
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

Mike S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Mike S. » July 31st, 2020, 5:47 pm

I am happy to hear you had a "mild" case and are on the mend. Who wants to smell a lot of old grape juice. Some of that grape stuff smells like horse sh**t. Water is so much better and has no smell.
Michael Silverman

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by Dan Hammer » July 31st, 2020, 5:55 pm

Buzz.

Glad you’re well enough to post again. The nightmare of Covid-19 hangs over all of us.

Dan
This space for rent.

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » July 31st, 2020, 6:05 pm

Ok Buzz, since you broke the ice, I’ll go next and admit it even if I felt like the neighborhood leper.

Yep, I had it, too.

Got it about five weeks ago. Still don’t know how, don’t know a single person that has had it.

Manifested as a low grade flu, some fatigue and body aches. Never got a fever except one night after a week, got to 100. No respiratory or GI issues. Slept a lot. Lasted a full two weeks.

Lost some sense of smell and palate. Lost my appetite, didn’t eat much but wife did bring me a PB milkshake everyday. Lost about five pounds.

Oddly, neither my wife nor my kid got it. Nor did my doctor, or staff.

My sense of smell is still off but at least slowly maturing. The palate is back. During Covid my palate was way off with some notes highly accentuated, like saline. I did not drink for three weeks. Started back with Single Malts.

Back to wine over the last week but for the obvious reasons, did not pop any big guns. Am enjoying a killer Bedrock Heritage right now. A fuller-bodied wine was the right call.

Glad to hear you are doing fine, Buzz.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by Frank Murray III » July 31st, 2020, 6:14 pm

Frigging virus. I wish you both the best as you recover back from this thing.
My best wines for 2020:
2014 Marie Courtin Champagne Efflorescence Extra Brut
2012 Minière F & R Champagne Influence Brut
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM
2015 Ulysse Collin Champagne Les Pierrières
2014 Laherte Frères Champagne BdB EB Les Grands Crayeres

Kindness matters. Dignity matters. Accountability matters. Respect matters. LEADERSHIP MATTERS!

M. Dildine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by M. Dildine » July 31st, 2020, 6:18 pm

Robert & Buzz: WOW. Glad you have persevered over this powerful adversary. Stay healthy, get those taste buds back in shape!
Cheers,

Mike

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by Kris Patten » July 31st, 2020, 6:51 pm

It's too bad this virus makes people feel like it's a scarlet letter of sorts. Appreciate both of you sharing your process. Thank goodness Alfert bought all that Ovid now!
ITB

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » July 31st, 2020, 6:54 pm

Kris Patten wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 6:51 pm
It's too bad this virus makes people feel like it's a scarlet letter of sorts. Appreciate both of you sharing your process. Thank goodness Alfert bought all that Ovid now!
Oh man, I should have popped the C(Ovid)!

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Al Osterheld

#49 Post by Al Osterheld » July 31st, 2020, 7:01 pm

Glad the two of you missed the worst and are recovering.

One of the odd things is that more than half of the people do not give virus to anyone else, including household members. A few spread it to many.

-Al

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#50 Post by Kris Patten » July 31st, 2020, 7:05 pm

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 6:54 pm
Kris Patten wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 6:51 pm
Oh man, I should have popped the C(Ovid)!
I didn't have the guts to write that, thought it may be too insensitive.
ITB

Return to “Wine Talk”