Personal Favorites With The Cedric Bouchard Lineup?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Michael S. Monie

Personal Favorites With The Cedric Bouchard Lineup?

#1 Post by Michael S. Monie » July 30th, 2020, 11:38 am

I'm curious which wines those of you here like the best. Thanks.
"Don't worry, about a thing. Cause every little thing, is gone to be alright. This is my message to you." Bob Marley

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Personal Favorites With The Cedric Bouchard Lineup?

#2 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » July 30th, 2020, 11:43 am

I love Ursules
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

AD Northup
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by AD Northup » July 30th, 2020, 11:45 am

Presle for me
A n d r e w N o r t h u p

2020 WsOTY:

2015 Roses de Jeanne / Cédric Bouchard Champagne Blanc de Noirs La Presle (#1)
1954 Fontanafredda Barbaresco
2015 Ultramarine BdB

2019 WsOTY:
1994 Edmunds St. John Les Côtes Sauvages
2016 P. S. Garcia Grenache Piedra Lisa
2002 Perrier-Jouet Belle Époque
2005 Faja dos Padres Malvasia

Claus Jeppesen

#4 Post by Claus Jeppesen » July 30th, 2020, 12:13 pm

[winner.gif]
D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 11:43 am
I love Ursules
My fav too
Claus

Riesling and Slate

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » July 30th, 2020, 12:33 pm

La Boloree
CT: InZinity

2020 contenders for WOTY:
2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Durant Vineyard Chardonnay
2015 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres
2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese
2015 Josef Walter Hundsruck Spätburgunder "J"

Michael S. Monie

#6 Post by Michael S. Monie » July 30th, 2020, 1:00 pm

Brian S t o t t e r wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 12:33 pm
La Boloree
Being 100% Pinot Blanc, how does it compare to a Chardonnay BdB?
"Don't worry, about a thing. Cause every little thing, is gone to be alright. This is my message to you." Bob Marley

David Goerisch

#7 Post by David Goerisch » July 30th, 2020, 2:33 pm

All of them! But probably the Presle would be my first pick, followed closely by the Bechalin and the Ursules. Also, I think it's hard to find a champagne better that the Val Vilaine at its price point (although several of the Laherte Freres offerings are in the running).

Brad Baker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Brad Baker » July 30th, 2020, 3:13 pm

Creux d'Enfer is my favorite followed by Les Ursules. Val Vilaine is a value pick for the range. The only wine that leaves me scratching my head is La Boloree, but I am not a fan of Pinot Blanc in my Champagne.
Brad Baker
The Champagne Warrior

Michael S. Monie

#9 Post by Michael S. Monie » July 30th, 2020, 3:29 pm

Creux d'Enfer is made only as Rose?

Brad Baker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Brad Baker » July 30th, 2020, 3:55 pm

Michael S. Monie wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 3:29 pm
Yes, only as a Rose and Bouchard's only Rose - made via Saignee/Maceration over a three to four day period. It is also his smallest production as it comes from just 3-4 rows of vines in the vineyard. Cedric's 3-4 rows only amount to 0.032 ha of vines. He only makes two to five hundred bottles of each vintage. It is his hardest wine to find and his most expensive.

*Edited second to last sentence for grammar
Last edited by Brad Baker on July 30th, 2020, 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad Baker
The Champagne Warrior

scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by scamhi » July 30th, 2020, 4:26 pm

Creux d'enfer for me too. Very small production
S u z a n n e C a m h i
instagram: suz_cam

Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Robert M yers » July 30th, 2020, 4:30 pm

Brad Baker wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 3:55 pm
Michael S. Monie wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 3:29 pm
Yes, only as a Rose and Bouchard's only Rose - made via Saignee/Maceration over a three to four day period. It is also his smallest production as it comes from just 3-4 rows of vines in the vineyard. Cedric's 3-4 rows only amount to 0.032 ha of vines. He only makes a two to five hundred bottles of each vintage. It is his hardest wine to find and his most expensive.
Is there something special about these 3-4 rows? Wondering why he would limit it to such a tiny amount?

Brad Baker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Brad Baker » July 30th, 2020, 5:09 pm

Robert,

Because that is all he owns in this vineyard. He would make more if he could and he would buy more if he could. A lot of growers are in this situation. I remember walking one vineyard with Jean-Paul Hebrart of Marc Hebrart and he would point out that he owned these three rows and then those three and then four over there... You get what you can and make what you can. Land is expensive in Champagne and there is a lot of competition to buy it up amongst folks.
Brad Baker
The Champagne Warrior

AD Northup
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by AD Northup » July 30th, 2020, 5:13 pm

Brad Baker wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 5:09 pm
Robert,

Because that is all he owns in this vineyard. He would make more if he could and he would buy more if he could. A lot of growers are in this situation. I remember walking one vineyard with Jean-Paul Hebrart of Marc Hebrart and he would point out that he owned these three rows and then those three and then four over there... You get what you can and make what you can. Land is expensive in Champagne and there is a lot of competition to buy it up amongst folks.
Hey Brad,

The bigger question for me is if there is some particular aspect or particularity of this lieux-dit that made Cedric choose a rose as opposed to a Blanc de noirs?

2020 WsOTY:

2015 Ultramarine BdB

2019 WsOTY:

Brad Baker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Brad Baker » July 30th, 2020, 6:22 pm

AD Northup wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 5:13 pm
Brad Baker wrote:
Robert,

Hey Brad,

The bigger question for me is if there is some particular aspect or particularity of this lieux-dit that made Cedric choose a rose as opposed to a Blanc de noirs?
Andrew,

I don't know the answer to your question. It seems like a simple one, but I never asked and am kicking myself for how logical it would have been to have asked Cedric this. I would guess maybe it had to do with the exposition and size? Maybe William Kelley or someone else here knows?

Your question also made me realize that I should point out that while Cedric has only 3-4 rows of Pinot Noir vines in the Creux d'Enfer vineyard, he owns bit more. In the early 2000s, Cedric planted an additional 3 rows to Chardonnay. These Chardonnay vines were part of his still wine experiment that he decided not to release. I am not sure what he is doing with these rows of vines today and should probably ask.

Sometimes the simple questions are the best ones.
Brad Baker
The Champagne Warrior

AD Northup
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by AD Northup » July 30th, 2020, 6:27 pm

Brad Baker wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 6:22 pm
AD Northup wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 5:13 pm
Brad Baker wrote:
Robert,

Hey Brad,

Andrew,

I don't know the answer to your question. It seems like a simple one, but I never asked and am kicking myself for how logical it would have been to have asked Cedric this. I would guess maybe it had to do with the exposition and size? Maybe William Kelley or someone else here knows?

Your question also made me realize that I should point out that while Cedric has only 3-4 rows of Pinot Noir vines in the Creux d'Enfer vineyard, he owns bit more. In the early 2000s, Cedric planted an additional 3 rows to Chardonnay. These Chardonnay vines were part of his still wine experiment that he decided not to release. I am not sure what he is doing with these rows of vines today and should probably ask.

Sometimes the simple questions are the best ones.
Thanks Brad. Very interesting on the Coteaux Champenois, have you had the opportunity to try it? Would be interested to know the style of the wine produced.

Hopefully someone has some insight to the original question, otherwise, please let me know should have have the chance to enquire in the future.

2020 WsOTY:

2015 Ultramarine BdB

2019 WsOTY:

Michael S. Monie

#17 Post by Michael S. Monie » July 30th, 2020, 7:17 pm

It seems as though the Pinot dominated wines are the favorite here. Any thoughts on the Chardonnay Blanc de Blanc La Haute Lemble?

Brad Baker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Brad Baker » July 31st, 2020, 9:12 am

AD Northup wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 6:27 pm
Thanks Brad. Very interesting on the Coteaux Champenois, have you had the opportunity to try it? Would be interested to know the style of the wine produced.

Hopefully someone has some insight to the original question, otherwise, please let me know should have have the chance to enquire in the future.
Cedric ended up not moving forward with his Coteaux Champenois project. I was able to sample a few of the wines pre-bottling a decade ago and they seemed nice enough for Coteaux Champenois. What I tasted was still aging and not yet ready for release, but the wines were promising and I looked forward to tasting them when officially launched. In contrast to his Champagne, he made his Coteaux Champenois in oak and his goal was to only bottle in magnums. In the end, Cedric wasn't happy with the quality of the wines and never released anything. He thought the wine turned out better as Champagne than still wine.

To me, what is most interesting about this cancelled project is that Cedric never really liked Champagne as a wine and his heart and soul were set on making still wines. Bubbles are a distraction and annoyance to Cedric, but he makes the best wines that he can from the land that he has.
Brad Baker
The Champagne Warrior

AD Northup
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by AD Northup » July 31st, 2020, 9:54 am

Brad Baker wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 9:12 am
AD Northup wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 6:27 pm

Cedric ended up not moving forward with his Coteaux Champenois project. I was able to sample a few of the wines pre-bottling a decade ago and they seemed nice enough for Coteaux Champenois. What I tasted was still aging and not yet ready for release, but the wines were promising and I looked forward to tasting them when officially launched. In contrast to his Champagne, he made his Coteaux Champenois in oak and his goal was to only bottle in magnums. In the end, Cedric wasn't happy with the quality of the wines and never released anything. He thought the wine turned out better as Champagne than still wine.

To me, what is most interesting about this cancelled project is that Cedric never really liked Champagne as a wine and his heart and soul were set on making still wines. Bubbles are a distraction and annoyance to Cedric, but he makes the best wines that he can from the land that he has.
Thanks Brad!

2020 WsOTY:

2015 Ultramarine BdB

2019 WsOTY:

RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by RyanC » July 31st, 2020, 12:49 pm

Brad Baker wrote:
Cedric never really liked Champagne as a wine and his heart and soul were set on making still wines. Bubbles are a distraction and annoyance to Cedric, but he makes the best wines that he can from the land that he has.
That's amazing. He's doing something right: his Champagnes are some of my favorite wines on earth.
C@ughey

Brad Baker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Brad Baker » July 31st, 2020, 1:09 pm

I wonder if Cedric kept any of his Coteaux Champenois wines at all. It would be interesting to see how they aged. I believe he ended up selling most of the still wine he made off to negociants who used it as reserve wine for Champagne.
Brad Baker
The Champagne Warrior

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Neal.Mollen » July 31st, 2020, 1:15 pm

RyanC wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 12:49 pm
Brad Baker wrote:
Cedric never really liked Champagne as a wine and his heart and soul were set on making still wines. Bubbles are a distraction and annoyance to Cedric, but he makes the best wines that he can from the land that he has.
That's amazing. He's doing something right: his Champagnes are some of my favorite wines on earth.
It is freaking bizarre.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Michael S. Monie

#23 Post by Michael S. Monie » July 31st, 2020, 2:29 pm

Michael S. Monie wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 7:17 pm
It seems as though the Pinot dominated wines are the favorite here. Any thoughts on the Chardonnay Blanc de Blanc La Haute Lemble?
Galloni loves this. Anyone else had it?

David_K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by David_K » July 31st, 2020, 7:31 pm

Michael S. Monie wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 2:29 pm
Michael S. Monie wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 7:17 pm
Galloni loves this. Anyone else had it?
I've had it once. I liked it well enough but to be honest it didn't taste much different than the Val Vilaine even though it was made from Chardonnay. Good but not special and not worth the tariff IMO.
K@ntrОwi╦z

Return to “Wine Talk”