Halcon 2018s

Paul had us up to Halcon for an outside and well distanced tasting on our way out of Anderson Valley last week. Overall, it was a very different visit than in times past, but great to see and taste with a few of our favorites. Halcon was a real winner with the 2018 reds and the 2019 white.

I recently found the 2018 Roussanne to be fantastic a year after first trying it. Happy to report that the white blend of marsanne and roussanne for the 2019 bottling is great right out of the gate! Lots of stone fruit and richly textured.

The Mourvèdre 2018 was singing this time as well. Power of suggestion may have been at work, but Paul’s description of “warm berry” is better than anything I came up with. Wonderful and inviting, fruit forward without sacrificing intrigue!

Esquisto 2018: a nice showing of complementary notes from the Grenache and Syrah components (I am not perceptive enough to pull out the Mourvèdre notes). This was a bit less grippy than some of the past editions, which was welcome. The tannins are still there and chewy, just a little more giving at this early age.

Alturas 2018: already showing very well, it reminds me of the 2016 I had recently, except the fruit seemed darker and the savory component was more pronounced here. This seems to be drinking very well early on, more so than any other Alturas that I’ve tried (2014-2018).

Elevacion 2018: more restrained and inward than the Alturas. Has the beautiful aromatics that I always get out of these. The tannins are very pronounced, and the olive and pepper join in. Quite wound up, but softened and opened in the couple hours up there. Fantastic wine if it needs some time.

Thanks! Now I am tempted to open an Alturas [cheers.gif]

Really need to try the white blend. Love the reds.

I’m envious!

That makes it

Me:1
William: 10,000

On the enviable events index!

Has anybody tried their Petite? Love their Syrahs just trying to see what else I can explore from Halcon

[rofl.gif]

I definitely really miss tasting these wines professionally. Wish I could get them in France, as it would be fun to serve them blind to friends.

Popping an '18 Alturas this weekend. Thanks for the impressions! Great to see William is a fan, as well!

lots of air!

Not the new one, but past vintages. Love the vineyard. It’s the same style as the Syrah. I heard they’ve upped the whole cluster percentage, which would make it even more their style, so should be more lovely in its youth, and still age just as well. Very savory, Syrah-like other than the fruit flavors. Fantastic wine.

Dan

It was great spending time again with you, and meeting Sarah and little Eddie.

Paul

William

Hopefully we can meet next year (when we are allowed back into Europe :wink: and get you some wine. BTW A&B Vintners is bring our stuff into the UK.

Best

Paul

Wes

Sorry missed your post last night. Thanks for the kind words! We actually have been consistent in our Petite winemaking the last five vintages - no new oak (mainly old puncheons), 50% whole-cluster. Like all our wines - native (rogue) yeast, no racking before bottling, no fine, no filter.

Paul

This post makes me want to visit Halcon even more.

I think I have the 2018 but we may need more offers!!’

Library please. Pretty please.

+1!!

YES!!!

Had the '18 Grenache a couple months ago. Very good, but I think best to wait at least a couple years.

Robert

The fall mailer goes out to the mailing list in two weeks. Includes 2019 Prado and 2018 Esquisto, Elevacion and Petite Sirah.
I am sure we will have a Berserker Day offer early next year with some 2019s.

Best

Paul