TN: 2016 Rhys Pinot Noir Alpine Vineyard

• 2016 Rhys Pinot Noir Alpine Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (7/27/2020)
    First sample of this wine from a 500ml bottle. It’s showing a distinctly spicy character, floral tones and very deep, almost plummy fruit. Tannins are apparent but in balance with the rich fruit. At the finish there is an earthy tone, as well as a slight herbal character. Certainly this is a very early look at what is becoming a clearly ageable wine. I would not venture another bottle for at least a couple more years, and from 750 or magnum a much longer wait is recommended.

Posted from CellarTracker

p.s. I noticed that this is an awfully clinical note. I enjoyed the wine very much.

David - my note from last year.
From 375. Sassafras, dusty plums and some underbrush on the nose. Nice spicy cranberry fruit and balancing acidity on the palate. Definitely sense some structure that says this can age for a while, but seems a little more fruit forward than other Alpine vintages when young. A little less structure and a little riper than other vintages, but a pleasure to drink with many good years ahead of it.

Lots of similar aspects.

Thanks David for the note – really enjoy the Rhys wines.

Yes, thanks David,

For your read–I have so many of these bottlings, but I always feel I should give them more time–though like you I drink them out of smaller sizes sometimes. Enjoyable when I quaff them, but still way more wines than opportunities to drink.

Yes, more wines than opportunities. I need to live forever to drink all my wines, but I keep buying more. It’s a happy disease.