TNs: 97 Etude CS & 97 Ciacci Piccolomini Pianrosso

• 1997 Etude Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley (7/26/2020)
    Garnet with pale rim. Nose of cassis, currant, hyacinth, plum blossom, iodine. Cool, smooth red and black currant fruit exhibiting bell-like clarity cut with dark plum and rich earth on the palate. Refreshing acidity and burnished tannin on the silky palate. Long finish of mostly red currant fruit draped in elegant earth and grip. Balanced, complex, ready. (93 pts.)
  • 1997 Ciacci Piccolomini d’Aragona Brunello di Montalcino Vigna di Pianrosso - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (7/25/2020)
    Decanted for one hour. Dark opaque garnet hue. Nose a potpourri of dried cherry, earth, sharp plum, holiday spice, camphor, soaring floral notes. Layers of spicy cherry, deep-drilling sweet earth, leather, and a bit of smoky red plum on the satin-textured palate. Moderate acidity and resolved, fine-grained tannin. Long finish of faded red cherry, fine soil, and satisfying grip. Enduring Brunello. Lovely. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

90s and early 00s Etude Cabs can be really special. Especially the AVA wines. Balanced, graceful, with underlying power to age.

Agreed. I had more than one turn my head.

Kris and Merrill,

I would agree, the descriptors balanced and graceful (with underlying power) capture the essence of this wine perfectly. One more bottle of this in the cellar. It will be interesting to see how much further the flight path goes.

Cheers,
Doug

Étude was probably my first love in California Cabernet. Maybe 7 years ago now, did a mini vertical of the 91, 94, 95, 97, and 01 vintages of Étude. There was a quite noticeable change with the 97 and 01 where (not surprisingly) they were fuller with more fruit. Still on the balanced side but the vintage character was obvious and I preferred the 91 & 94. Others like the 97 and 01 more. None of my 1995s ever tasted right and I wasn’t surprised that it was last on everyone’s list.

Brian,

Cool to have had such an interesting vertical. The 97 is (sadly) the only vintage I have. The fruit has become integrated quite nicely if this sole showing is any indicator. I sampled this wine 13 years ago and found it very good but not great. Time has definitely helped.

Cheers,
Doug

I’ve gotten very fond of the Ciacci Piccolomini Pianrosso since I tried my first one about 2 years ago

Jay,

I like this producer very much also. I was kind of kicking myself for waiting so long to drink an example from a warmer year but it turned out to be a real gem. Have a bit of 1999 also.

Cheers,
Doug