Anyone see a 2014 cork in Pepe 2003 Montepulciano?

This was a surprise. I had purchased some 2003 Pepe Montepulciano from Garagiste a while back and popped my first cork. Surprise, the cork says 2014. My fading memory tells me that when I purchased it that this was mentioned in the offer; regardless, I have no doubt this was the real McCoy. It was lively, weightless yet plush, smoky and lots of mineral, no roasted characteristics. A treat and will age a lot longer but also very tasty now.

Has anyone else come across this? Is it possible that this was not 2003 Pepe?

By the way, the 2011 Valentini trebbiano in the background was superb as well. Round and juicy and pretty much still a baby.

Thanks, Greg
20200724_180107 (2).jpg
20200724_180056 (6).jpg
20200724_180028 (2).jpg
20200724_180020 (2).jpg

It means the wine was decanted and released by the winery in 2014, Greg.

Thanks, Oliver, I appreciate the response. Do you happen to know if this is something he does each year, using different dates for his corks? That actually is some useful information to the consumer if he does.

If you search back on this board Levi Dalton had a post explaining it. It’s a very unusual situation; there are two wines released by the winery, the US cuvee is in effect a riserva, and it’s decanted. New releases will have a badge on the label saying ‘Viti Vecchi’ or some such, to make the difference clear. The fact that your bottle has the different date on the cork shows that it’s this bottling (Garagiste often buys the European bottling grey market).

Thanks–I recall that informative thread–I know from that thread Pepe has the two cuvee’s; one for Italian market and one “riserva” for export. Did not think to tie in the cork date difference; I appreciate the clarification. And the 03 is really nice today as well, 36 hours later. Smoke and mineral replaced more cherry and dried fruit flavors–still going strong which bodes well for those who have come in the cellar! Enjoy the rest of your weekend.