2018 Kutch new releases--TNs for Trout Gulch, Bohan Graveyard, Signal Ridge and McDougall

As part of the Zoom yesterday, I joined Jamie Kutch to taste through these 2018s and moderate the session with about 50 folks who signed on to attend. I tasted the wines across 24 hours, three different times. Since a number of people are on the Kutch mailing list and will get the release offer next week, I wanted to provide my POV on the 4 wines to give another data point for those who want it.

As I have said over and over again, a critic, a reviewer is just ONE perspective, and while you may accord that voice and palate a level of regard, so too you can with mine. If you align with my palate or thoughts on wine, thatā€™s great. Or, you can simply ignore it and do as you wish. But please just keep in mind that these are 4 wines, tasted three times over 24 hours, and I have given these notes an honest composition. I prefer to taste a very small cadre of wines, in more than one setting, and then form an opinionā€“this is what occurs below.

Above all, I wish Jamie the best and I will be buying next week, as I have done for over a decade while on his list. We should support those who push themselves, who endeavor to take their craft personally and make the best wines they can each vintage. To me, like a few other wineries, this is Jamie Kutch.

For those who missed the Zoom yesterday and who want to listen to part/all of it, you can access the link below. Stay safe everyone.

https://us02web.zoom.us/rec/share/4-B8NYD3zWlJGJXP8niEHfQCE4a6T6a82igf8vZZyfVj_6Eu_nrb2e5Pv7VN3f4?startTime=1595549147000

• 2018 Kutch Chardonnay Trout Gulch Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (7/24/2020)
    Tasted as part of the Kutch Zoom we did with Jamie this week. As part of the Zoom, I tasted all 4 wines (2018sā€“Trout Gulch Chard, Signal Ridge PN, Bohan Graveyard PN and McDougall PN). I treated all 4 wines the same way: opened day of the event at Noon, then tasted at 330PMā€¦then again during the event a few hours laterā€¦and then finally, retested once more the following day at Noon. Three experiences, with the final tasting having the benefit of 24 hours of aeration. My notes will reflect this continuum, to help understand how this air affected each wine.

As for the Trout Gulch, 13.4% ABV from 40+ year old vines. Yesterdayā€™s notes reflect a toastiness in the aromatic (20% new wood is used), along with fresh cut green apple, pineapple and white flowers. Lemony middle-weight with great length of green apple and citrus that persists into the finish. There is freshness here, along with cut/intensity, much as have come to expect from the Kutch Chardonnay program. What I also noticed on the first day was a mango note in the finish, which was unique. Finally, with 24 hours of air, the wine has added some flesh, changing the wine from something that was more linear yesterday to a wine today that is showing power, intensity today. The mango shows up again today, but itā€™s being complemented by a gingery spiciness, pineapple and light mineral. There is nothing heavy here, no glossy notes so if youā€™re looking for a modern style, forget it. This is the Kutch style of acidity and intensity, the reason some of us think that Jamieā€™s Chards equal the best of his Pinots.

• 2018 Kutch Pinot Noir Graveyard Block Bohan Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (7/24/2020)
    Tasted as part of the Kutch Zoom we did with Jamie this week. As part of the Zoom, I tasted all 4 wines (2018sā€“Trout Gulch Chard, Signal Ridge PN, Bohan Graveyard PN and McDougall PN). I treated all 4 wines the same way: opened day of the event at Noon, then tasted at 330PMā€¦then again during the event a few hours laterā€¦and then finally, retested once more the following day at Noon. Three experiences, with the final tasting having the benefit of 24 hours of aeration. My notes will reflect this continuum, to help understand how this air affected each wine.

As for the Graveyard Block, 13.1% ABV from 30 year old vines and completely destemmed (making it the outlier in the Pinot range). Yesterdayā€™s during my two tastings, this showed a real saturated quality, and also the fruit tones darker than that of the Signal Ridge. And I can see why Jamie destems Graveyard, as there is still plenty of structure here. Black cherry, but mainly blueberry, with a real good intensity without it getting heavy. Upon retasting with 24 hours of air, this shows a wonderful core of blue-tinged fruit, with the wine acquiring a zesty quality, the acidity showing up to brighten the wine. This has the structure of Signal Ridge, but better balance than that wine. The fruit has a loamy quality coming through, sometimes what I get in Rhys Bearwallow. Along with enjoying the blueberry and dark raspberry fruit, what I enjoy even more is the juicy, mineral finish and I suspect this will age well.

• 2018 Kutch Pinot Noir McDougall Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (7/24/2020)

As for the McDougall, 13.5% ABV from 20+ year old vines. Yesterday, this wine showed as the most concentrated of the three Pinots. And beyond those two wines, it exhibited the typical concentration that I consistently find from this plot. Spicy (not herbal, even though it is 100% whole cluster), with dark raspberry, strawberry and plenty of grip. Just an intense wine with plenty of coil. And with air, when I tasted it again during the event, the intensity and coil even increased. As Jamie showed a picture of the McDougall soil during the Zoom, I commented to him that I could figuratively taste those rocks in the wineā€™s finish. My final note yesterday was ā€˜wowā€™. Upon retesting the wine today with 24 hours of air, the aromatics are beautiful, showing the floral, red fruited notes and a light stem signature. What stands out to me today is the texture, which is Bohan Graveyard in tone, but 2-3X the intensity. Powerful. The density and concentration is hard to miss. Red fruits abundant, even a creaminess hiding underneath it. The finish, much like yesterday, shows the same crushed rocks and minerality, which is what so often drives me to Champagneā€“itā€™s here, as well. This wine wowed me yesterday, and again today. Itā€™s powerful stuff, something I have come to appreciate and love about McDougall and the way Jamie makes this wine vintage after vintage.

• 2018 Kutch Pinot Noir Signal Ridge Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Mendocino Ridge (7/24/2020)

As for the Signal Ridge, 13.2% ABV from 20 year old vines. Yesterday I found the bottle to start out with a good deal of savory tones. There was a tarry thing in the wine, expectedly herbal give the 100% whole cluster, but going further to reflect a creosote note. I know, this sounds like I am tasting a Syrah. The fruit was cherry in tone, with the texture on the juicer side, with a spicy, sappy finish, even a little prickly with a closing note of licorice. Then, a few hours later during the Zoom, I tasted it again and that air really seemed to improve the wine overall, allowing the cherry to exhibit a more balanced, pure quality and the savory side receding. Today, the wine has picked up weight, and itā€™s bigger shouldered, with the cherry showing a little more rustic, with some tannin wrapping around it. The herbal aspect of the wine from yesterday persists, too. I know this comes from a vineyard that is nearly 3,000 up in the Mendo range, and I would say that exposure above the fog really gives this wine a different expression than what perhaps some of us think of with Kutch Pinot. This is burly, heartier and to me, this tastes the best when the wine enjoys a light chill. Distinctive but being honest, I just donā€™t see this as being on the same plane as McDougall or Falstaff.

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

Nicely done, Frank [cheers.gif]

You have pretty much cemented what I thought I was going to order: TG Chard, Graveyard and McDougall.

I was lucky enough to smooch some juice from FM3 and here are my impressions. First of all, I have been a loyal supporter of Jamieā€™s for many years. My wife and I like his wines very much. We even turned our daughter into a Kutch devotee :slight_smile:

2018 Kutch Trout Gulch Chardonnay

This is lovely Chardonnay! Crisp and refreshing, with stone fruits and lemon/lime on the nose. I couldnā€™t take my nose off the glass it was so aromatic. There was a little note of toast coming through the nose but not oaky at all. Amazing flavors and I wish we had seared scallops since this would have been a perfect match. This reminds of a young Leflaive Pucelles.

2018 Kutch McDougall Pinot Noir
This won me over at first sniff: Darkest and weightiest/biggest of the three. Most masculine. Dark fruits mostly. It is the most ā€œapproachableā€ of the 3. Can be enjoyed now while you wait on the other two.

2018 Kutch Signal Ridge Pinot Noir
This one is the lightest and most structured of the three. Also very floral on the nose (rose petals). Love the nose. Lightest in weight of the three. It showed more red fruits on the palate. I think this one needs a lot of air or more time in the cellar of the three.

2018 Kutch Bohan Graveyard Block Pinot Noir (Black Label)
There was an initial medicinal nose soon after I poured it in my glass. It, however, blew off rather quickly. What remained was a beguiling smell of red and black berries with lots of floral scents (lavender perhaps?). This one was the most aromatic of the three pinots. It was in between the other two in terms of weight and color; It became my favorite after an hour.

Wonderful wines Jamie! My credit card is smiling at me (and you) [cheers.gif] [thumbs-up.gif]

I too pinched off of FMIII bottle and Ramon dropped it off at my house. What service, thanks pal. The warden and Ramonā€™s wife are friends and share many things in common. Two of them are they think Jamie is cute and love his wines. Weā€™ve talked about it before but as spectacular as his pinots are the chardonnay is always a standout. No need to apologize, he just makes great wines where ever he goes.

For me, the douggie and trout were stand outs.

• 2018 Kutch Chardonnay Trout Gulch Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (7/25/2020)
    Another spectacular white Kutch. Beautiful light fruited nose with a hint of flint. Mouthfeel on the attack is round but then is immediately dissected by the acid mid palate. The finish is long and elegant with a strong lime note. The warden likes this one, a lot. Me too.
  • 2018 Kutch Pinot Noir Graveyard Block Bohan Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (7/25/2020)
    There is a strong rose petal and french perfume quality, quite elegant. Screams euro vs new world with a white chalk foundation and light raspberry flavors. Stem/Oak show as sandalwood and terrpins. this is cellar worthy.
  • 2018 Kutch Pinot Noir McDougall Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (7/25/2020)
    This is classic Kutch. Love the red berries, a delicious pinot profile of strawberry and cranberry. Very strong acid and slightly more lush. My favorite of the lineup at this tasting.
  • 2018 Kutch Pinot Noir Signal Ridge Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Mendocino Ridge (7/25/2020)
    Interesting mint and menthol on the nose, very cool. This is a light bodied and mild fruit with a touch of stem on the finish. More reserve than the others. Probably needs cellar time.

Posted from CellarTracker

Brig, there are a few ounces left in each bottle, as I tasted them again last night so when I run into you later, you can revisit them once more if you like.

In fact, I had poured for Jill a few ounces of the Chard last night and I retested it again with her and the minerality of the finish really popped, moreso than the previous tastings. The McDougall continued to show strong too.

Thanks guys, so very much, for these impressions.

Maluhia

Mike

Just had another 2 oz pour of the Trout Gulch Chard. The finish now shows the flint mentioned in Brigā€™s note, along with some pear. Maybe, maybe we can make some comparisons between the 18 TG Chard and the 14 SCM Chard. The former is missing the Zayante fruit but perhaps now the Trout Gulch doesnā€™'t need that component.

Itā€™s not far off for me to use the word ā€˜chiseledā€™ with the 2018 TGā€¦weā€™ll see if others feel similarly once the wines start getting opened and posted about.

Since youā€™ve brought up the comparison, FMIII, it may be worthwhile to paste the note on the 14 Santa Cruz that I had a couple weeks ago

2014 Kutch Santa Cruz Chard

I had great fun blinding this. On opening, the citrus and grapefruit are really showing on nose and mouth. Heather was convinced it was a beautifully baroque Meursault (her reaction when I told herā€¦ ā€œget the f___ out!ā€). Jeff just said ā€œseductive and deliciousā€. For the first time with any Cali Chard, I exercised the ā€œmethode grammeroiseā€ on this wineā€”slow-ox the night before and about a 1.5 hour decant. I think it put the wine into a great place. Minerality, a teensy bit of reductive quality which only adds interest but the main aspect is the now-uncoiled energy and structure this showed on this night. This is a style of Chard that isnā€™t for everyone, but I absolutely adored it and it is in my WOTY list. Probably a 94 or 95, with room still (!) to grow upward. I have 4 bottles of this left (one of which is set aside for whenever I can have WineFest) and I am guarding them like precious children.

For those that follow them, K&L is offering the 2018 Signal Ridge for $19.99. They claim itā€™s the same wine as Kutch, but bottled under the vineyard label.

Thanks Clayton for sharing. This isnā€™t accurate though as that wine is definitly 100% not the same wine.

My deal with Signal Ridge was to receive 50% of the fruit for free in turn for making the other half of the wine for the owner. The clones, section of the vineyard, pick dates and winemaking was different between Kutch and the owners wine.

I hope that sheds some lightā€¦ Also I no longer purchase nor work with the fruit from Signal Ridge.

PS; Itā€™s also false advertising that K&L is using the Kutch Signal Ridge review from Vinous to try and sell the wine as the wines are different and their wine has never been reviewed.

I might be looking at my Christmas tree while swirling an '18 Trout Gulch Chardonnay.

Iā€™ll post a note later. Killer. Again.

Right now Iā€™m getting lots of pine needles, campfire and Christmas spice. LOL
16087834803643286252974731233587.jpg

Nice tree [grin.gif]

Thanks for the info!

Agreed K&L are a bit misleading here then since theyā€™re using the kutch review and claiming the same wine different label.

Sorry to misinform.

Happy holidays.

Clayton

Opened the 2018 Bohan Graveyard tonight, and itā€™s a lovely wine. Jamie keeps refining his winemaking, and things get more elegant, more delineated with each year. The fruit and earth elements are in harmony, and the structure supports, but never dominates. I struggled to leave some for tomorrow, but I want to see how it evolves.

Was thinking about purchasing Ceritas Trout Gulch wines (the Pinot - as I already purchased the Chardonnay) and that led me to thinking about this wine. So I decided to open one up. Thought I would add my voice to the chorus singing praise.
I never really understood (or liked) the term laser-focus in the context of wine. But I suppose I get it here for this wine.

2018 Kutch Chardonnay Trout Gulch Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (5/4/2021)
Pop and pour.
Light straw color.
Nose offers some lemon/lime, slight hint of flint and sea spray.
Big impact of citrus on the intro that fans out with a variety of tropical fruits. Not sweet, but there is a wonderful rich mouthfeel. Label states 13.4% abv.
Good bright acidity and nice balance. This is fresh, tangy and energetic, with depth of flavors.
Delicious wine.

Might as well get the Arnot Roberts version too.

I canā€™t find my note that I drank with Frank, so Iā€™ll steal his. I blinded him [wow.gif]

2018 Arnot-Roberts Chardonnay Trout Gulch Vineyard

10/1/2020 - FRANK MURRAY III favorite WROTE: NR
Served blind. I guessed as Chablis, although thinking back, it didnā€™t have enough of that marine influenced flavor that would put it on Chablis. I would have been better guessing White Burg, as it drinks with class, balance, weightless yet beautifully flavored Chard. Juicy pear, bright acidity and a medium weight. A touch of oak but that was the extent of the wood impact. Finishes with a salinity that really impressed me. My comment to the table before we pulled the bag off was ā€œthat belongs in my own cellarā€. Excellent Chardonnay, at least to me because it hits my target style for Chard perfectly.

Just what I need - another wine to buy!
I have a fair amount of A-R wines - just focused on the Syrahs and two of their Cabernets (Fellom (SCM) and Montecillo (Sonoma).
I did have the 2013 Arnot-Roberts Trout Gulch Pinot Noir - that was a tart and sour glass of juice.

I went back to look at my Arnot-Roberts order history.
Apparently, in Fall of 2019, I purchased a 2018 Trout Gulch Chardonnay along with a 2018 Sanford & Benedict Chardonnay. Never entered into CT. I join the ranks of folks on this site who have had a similar experience.

I now plan to rummage through boxes and shelves to try and find them.

I just grabbed one of these too, will be looking forward to it!