First Real Tribidrag??

Steve & Carole have been selling their Tribidrag for a number of yrs. They openly acknowledge that it comes from Zinfandel they obtained in Calif, but call it the ancient Croatian name Tribidrag to honor the grapes origins. I have no problem with that usage.
I just recently received my first Tribidrag from Ridge (all of 3 brls made… a real Unicorn wine). This was made from Tribidrag cuttings brought from Croatia and planted at LS in 2014. Steve & Carole graciously gave Ridge permission to use the Tribidrag name.
To me, this would mark the first real Tribidrag wine in Calif (not to depreciate Steve & Carole’s version… which is one of Calif’s best Zins), made from Croatian cuttings. Have there been any other Zins in Calif made from Croatian cuttings?? Carole??
It’s the same story with Primitivo. Most producers who make a Primitivo are making it from cuttings originating in Apulia. I’m fine with that usage.
Way back in the '80’s, HopKiln trademarked the name “Primitivo”. The ATF was clueless that Primitivo was a grape name. The HopKiln Primitivo was made from their OV Zin planted back in the 1800’s. Eventually, the trademark was rescinded and Primitivo became a recognized variety.
Does anyone know who produced Calif’s first Primitivo… from Apulian cuttings??
Anyway, Steve & Carole’s Zin/Tribidrag is one of the best in Calif. I’m looking forward to trying JohnOlney’s expression of Tribidrag.
Tom

Somehow I’ve never had Steve and Carole’s Tribidrag, but will rectify that soon.

Interesting history

Carole’s commentary on Tribidrag in IDTT podcast is fascinating.

Yup, Jason… totally agree. Carole should be along soon to comment here.
Tom

Carole also joined team Ridge recently to discuss Zinfandel/Tribidrag on a Thursday Zoom session. It’s on YouTube now for those that missed it.

I believe Ridge’s Tribidrag is the only US Zin made from plant material (recently) sourced from Croatia. I really like it. The cuttings were sent to UC Davis for virus elimination treatment because the few vines found in Croatia were all virus-infected. The cleaned up vines were then returned to Croatia and planted to serve as a mother block for healthy new Croatian plantings. Ridge provided some financial support for this effort and received some of the plants.

As Cris said, I recently participated in a Ridge “Virtual Winemaker Rountable” about Zinfandel. Here’s the link:

Thanks, Carole… I was hoping you’d pop in here eventually. Do you know of anyone else who has the Croatian material in the ground?? I assume it’s available to anybody thru FPS??
The Ridge Roundtable, about an hour long, is very much worth viewing.
I dawdled and missed out on the Ridge historic Zin 3-pak, it sold out in a day. But I went straight to the top and they freed one up for me. Nice to have friends in high places.
Tom

Fascinating study on the DNA of what we here call Zinfandel and end discussion on “clones” in general. Bravo to all involved! On a side note, love that the Heritage Vineyard clones were planted in the heart of Cabernet gold coast of Oakville. [cheers.gif]

I had one bottle of Carol and Steve’s Tribidrag that I got as a Berserkerday wine years ago. I made the mistake of bringing it to a dinner at the home of a high school friend as a pre-reunion dinner and telling her that I really wanted to drink it, but thought I should try with some friends. Unfortunately, when I walked in the door, her husband took it out of my hand, said, “oh that looks nice” and it disappeared, never to be seen again during the evening. I have to buy another.

Luckily, they elected not to call it by its other Croatian name, Crljenak Kaštelanski.

I don’t know of anyone else in the U.S. who has the Croatian plant material in the ground. And I don’t know whether it’s publicly available. Some vine selections at FPS can be kept proprietary if the testing and disease elimination treatment are paid for by a private party, as was the case here with Ridge. The Ridge plant material was initially a proprietary importation in cooperation with the University of Zagreb in Croatia but I don’t know whether that will be its permanent status.

Carole

Knowing Ridge and Dave Gates, I suspect they’d be willing to share the plant material.
Is there ever a chance the TTB would wise up & call a halt to Tribidrag??
Tom

What would be the basis for doing that?

Well, Jay… because Tribidrag is a grape variety name… but not a variety they officially recognize.
Tom

Tom-
I believe that Ridge has the exclusive rights for 5 years. David shared some with me and we planted 1 acre (1/2 acre of each selection) at The Turley Estate in St. Helena. We should get the first albeit small crop in 2021.
Tegan

Interesting, Tegan. Look forward to trying yours.
In the vnyd, do you notice anything different with the Croatian material from Zinfandel??
Tom

Speaking of Croatia, has anybody planted any Grk in California?

Dan Kravitz

Uhhhhh, Dan… didn’t you forget some vowels in there??
To best of my knowledge, there is no Grk in this country. Winemakers complain that GWT is a hard sell in the US because people have a hard time pronouncing it. Probably Grk would lead them to pull out their hair.
Is there some reason Grk should be in Calif?
There are a lot of indigenous varieties in Croatia/Bulgaria/Romania/Georgia, even Italy, that could make some interesting wines. BryanHarrington was a good JohhnyAppleseed. But you’d need PamelaAnderson to market them for you!!
Tom

Hi Tom

First, thanks for this thought provoking thread and Carole Meredith for the fascinating Ridge video.

I’m wondering whether Croatian cuttings grown in California are any more ‘Tribidrag’ than Zinfandel or Primitivo?

In the Ridge video we hear that wine from Tribidrag cuttings taste differently according to where it is planted. Joel Peterson (Once & Future) says* that Zinfandel, more than any other variety, he knows reflects the place it is grown (and rootstock).

I haven’t tasted any California Primitivo but Puglian Primitivo doesn’t taste to me like California Zinfandel. Neither does South African Zinfandel.

So, if Tribidrag/Primitivo/Zinfandel is such a chameleon in adapting to its place of planting, isn’t the only place that can produce Croatian Tribidrag - Croatia?

I tried one once, so it’s not Grk to me, and really enjoyed it. A friend had brought it back from a visit and blind tasted it with us. Of course no one got it, but I would love to try more. Does any importer bring them into the States?