TN: 2008 Ladd Cellars Pinot Noir Russian River Valley

• 2008 Ladd Cellars Pinot Noir Russian River Valley - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (7/22/2020)
    This was a truly exciting example of mature Russian River Valley pinot. The wine is a slightly hazy light red with a clear rim. Aromas of tart wild berries still on the bush. The initial impression showcases brisk red cherry and raspberry, which are tasty yet fall comfortably short of any overt sensation of sugar or candy. The fruit gives way to lovely fall baking spices, cinnamon and dried leaves. Citrus peel acids are high on the finish, and get higher as the bottle develops. The fruit gets more brisk as the bottle develops, too.

The closest comp I can give might be Williams Selyem pinots from the RRV of around the same age, except that the acids are higher on this wine, and the fruit has a bit less sweetness to it.

I really enjoyed this wine, from the first pour to the last. It would be a great ringer in with some much pricier RRV or Burgundy bottles. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the note. still have one left somewhere buried.

I’d say open it up in 2020. Really good just on pop and pour, then evolves into a more tart mode with air. There is some sediment, so just pour carefully towards the end.

It’s just being a tease when it does that :slight_smile:.

I’ve always loved this wine, and it’s always evolved in a bit of a circuitous way, but that’s been an asset when drinking over several nights, and for the long term evolution I think (tho keep in the fridge over night after opening, and take it out a few hours+ to warm up the next day!).

This!

There is some sediment…and it’s best to stand it up and few days+ to let it settle and carefully pour it off. Or take it out of your cellar and pour it off.

The sediment doesn’t harm anything…but it can mask some of the more delicate aspects of the wine.

Thanks for the great note Chris! Woo Hoo!