TN: A few recent bottles - ZH, Marcel Lapierre and Gramenon Laurentides

• 1992 Domaine Gramenon Côtes du Rhône Villages Les Laurentides - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Côtes du Rhône Villages (7/22/2020)
    Beautiful slightly murky red with fading rim. A hint of ash followed by delicious cherry and strawberry, rare steak, garrigue, pine, a hint of spearmint, cinnamon, cayenne and crushed rock. Fully integrated harmonious palate, nicely layered generous red fruit, rich, warm and round, silky and polished, bright acidity, strong limestone mineral, and a long sweet red fruit driven finish with rare steak and garrigue at the end. Finding wine like this is what makes me happy! (95 pts.)
  • 1997 Zind-Humbrecht Gewurztraminer Clos Windsbuhl - France, Alsace (7/18/2020)
    Beautifully mature nose displaying ripe yellow fruit, apricot, yellow cherry, mandarin orange, a hint lychee, sweet and spicy spices, and steely mineral. Excellent concentration, layers upon layers of sweet yellow fruit, dense and deeply toned, medium acidity, steely mineral and a medium long sweet yellow fruit driven finish with lychee and sweet spices at the end. There is bitterness that I typically find in ZH Gewurztraminer. It is drinking nicely. (93 pts.)
  • 2009 Marcel Lapierre Morgon - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon (7/16/2020)
    Medium expressive nose displaying ripe concentrated red fruit with a hint of black, raspberry preserve, strawberry jam, black cherry, licorice, animal, lightly smoked meat and earth. There is noticeable sous bois. Nicely integrated palate, concentrated ripe red fruit, rich yet harmonious, good acidity and mineral, and a long ripe black fruit driven finish with animal and sous bois at the end. It has been fascinating to follow since release. This is even more Burgundian and shows more pronounced sous bois than the Feb, 2019 bottle. Love to try this in another decade, as there is enough fruit. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice notes! Did you decant the Morgon at all, or pop and pour?

Pop and pour but over two nights.

Gramenon’s wines can age very well. La Mémé Ceps Centenaires 1990 was still very clean and alive in 2004. I wish I could taste it again today.

Two days ago, I had a disappointing “non protected” wine Yvon Métras Fleurie le Printemps 2017. Poor nose, with mainly chard apple (like for Morgon Chamonard 2009 through years). This one won’t age, unfortunatly.