Best Value Wines under $50?

I hesitated to start a new topic but didn’t see one like this going back several years.

I’m working on a project to identify some great value wines across all different regions. My upper limit is $50, mostly because there are so many goodies in the $40-50 range, but bonus points for anything under $40. What makes the wine a great value is subjective and not something I want to get in the weeds on… I’d rather just get a diversity of opinions. I’m also focusing on wines that are pretty widely available and not hard to source outside of NY/SF.

Based on limited experience and personal preference, my list includes - Chanin Chards, Produttori del Barbaresco, Vietti Castiglione, DiCo, Goodfellow, Walter Scott LCV, Louis Michel 1ers, Beau Rivage, Larmandier-Bernier Longitude, Vina Ardanza/Bosconia, Purple Hands, Remy Massin Millesimes, Giscours, Domaine de Chevalier, Felsina Rancia, Climens (375), Cameron Dundee Hills, Servin 1ers, Baudry Grezeaux, Saint-Damien Gigondas.

This list could probably use an infusion of Riesling and Syrah but I have little experience with either.

Based on 2019 primeurs for Bordeaux and 2017 prices for Burgundy, my favorites are Branaire Ducru and D de Chevalier for Medoc, Barthod Chambolle village and many PYCM lower range white wines for Burgundy. Vernay blonde du seigneur now just off limit for cote rotie. Many German Riesling well within budget if you avoid cult wines. St Joseph Gonon makes the cut if you accept to only buy a bottle or 2 from a shop in France.

I had the same thought process along the way, so here’s my contribution:

plenty of regional benchmarks will work here as high values <$50.

• Domaine Huet secs ($35-40)
  • Pepiere Clos des Briords ($20-25)
  • Lopez de Heredia whites ($25-50)
  • Keller Von der Fels ($35-40)
  • Olga Raffault Les Picasses ($30)
  • Alain Graillot Crozes Hermitages ($35)
  • Domaine Faury St. Joseph VV ($40)
  • Jean Foillard Morgon cote du py ($35-40)
  • Chateau Musar rouge (current releases are usually <50 in my market)
  • Luis Pato wines from Portugal are outstanding and often <50
  • Domaine du Pegau’s 2017 has been sold under $50, although most years its over… still…
  • Domaine Tempier Rose ($35-40) some would question its QPR but it’s a top rose to be sure. Nice to be able to try even if most rose is less than half the price
  • Francois Cotat rose ($35)
  • Most of the Cotat whites are under that price point as well (I paid $42 for the 2017 Monts Damnes)
  • Tougher in Champage, but sometimes the Vilmart 1ere brut is $40-50
  • Tougher for Red burgundy at that price point, but I like Peirre Gelins wines from Fixin a lot
  • White burgundy is easy and there are numerous threads addressing it.

US Board favorites not mentioned would include essentially anything from Bedrock/Carlisle, but particularly

• Bedrock Heritage
  • Carlisle zinfandels (I like Papera best personally)
  • Ridge Geyserville
  • Liquid Farm whites
  • Pax Sonoma Hillsides clocks in <50 as well
  • you’ll get some votes for Dirty and Rowdy, but they haven’t been my favorites
  • I love Model Farm syrah at $45-50
  • Sandlands chenin blanc is outstanding too

Get after it!

I honestly can’t think of a single Portuguese wine from recent vintages in that price range (40-50) that doesn’t perform well, or will with appropriate cellaring. US pricing can vary, with Niepoort and Luís Seabra having big mark up, thus often putting them above 50, but most other producers are reasonably priced. I have seen António Maçanita’s Fitapreta wines in US stores for roughly the same price they sell for over here, which baffles me. He’s one of my favorite current oenologists, and for what his wines cost I would simply grab them blind (which is what I do). They should all be below $40.

Andrew,

I have been impressed by the Chianti Classico bottlings I have purchased in the past and forgotten about. Many are showing beautifully with some age. I am now purchasing a bunch of 2016 CC, a good year.

Others that randomly come to mind:
Vacheron Sancerre blanc and rouge
Lafouge Auxey-Duresses 1er La Chapelle
Pavelot SLB 1er La Dominode
Domaine de la Taille aux Loups Montlouis-sur-Loire Mosny (and other bottlings)
Nikolaihof Riesling Federspiel Von Stein

Cheers,
Doug

Barthod Chambolle is 100 in the us. The Bourgogne is 49.

Most great Zins (and blends) are under $50 and I’m talking high-end Zins. Some of the world’s finest Zins. Some were listed above.

A few more (just a sampling):

• Biale “Black Chicken”
  • Sherrer OMV and Shale Terrace (two for $50!)
  • Carlisle “Papera Ranch”
  • Pretty much all the Seghesio Zins
  • Ridge “Lytton Springs”
  • Frog’s Leap
  • Bedrock “Old Hill Ranch”
  • Turley “Ueberroth”

I coiuld do this all day long, but you get the idea.

If looking at domestic Syrah and Rhone varietals, Halcon Vineyards does a fantastic job and all under $50, most around $30. Has been my favorite in the price range, that I have come across. They are also age-worthy, which I find to be a plus.

I would add to the list, Desire Lines. New to me this year, I really liked the Syah, Carignan and Reisling that I’ve tried.

Strongest agreement!

CVNE Imperial Reserva is a good one at the suggested price point, or usually below.

Wide availability too.

if you’re a fan of Goodfellow and Walter Scott, gotta throw Kelley Fox’s Mirabai bottling and pretty much most the bottlings from Patricia Green in the mix there as well.

2nd just about everything from Bedrock (which Heritage blend in particular will vary by the person but really theyre all crazy deals), Felsina Rancia (their normal CCR is great too), Produttori Normale, Von de Fels, Fairy St Joe VV.

Also gotta throw La Rioja Alta 904 (its not always below 50 but I think it can be if you catch it at the right time).

from Riesling side, there are so many crazy deals under $50. Donnhoff makes a whole range of wines under that mark, as does Prum, Schaefer, tons of others.

Wow, so many places to go here.

Domaine Eden - all three flavors, incredible values.

White Burgundy: Cote Chalonnaise and Maconnais.

Red Burgundy: Plenty to choose from in Savigny, Santenay, Monthelie, plus Rully and Mercurey

Second for Frog’s Leap Cabernet, at best near the top of your price point, often a little over, but seriously over-delivers.

Ancien Pinot Noirs, especially the basic Carneros.

Hunter Valley Semillons with bottle age.

Agree with all of the Rioja suggestions.

I’m out of time for this but could go on for pages.

Dan Kravitz

Does Champale qualify as a wine? If so, Champale.

There have been so many great suggestions already listed, but a few personal favorites to add:

Rafanelli
Chateau Carbonnieux for Bordeaux, both white and rouge
Coutet Sauternes
Lagier Meredith Syrah
Most Frank Bonville Champagne
Carlisle Whites
Most everything from Sicily

We live in the Bay Area and Rafanelli is probably the only one that you might have difficulty finding.

Ed

Another strong recommendation!!

Red: Bedrock Old Vine Zinfandel
White: Dönnhoff Estate Riesling

End of discussion.

Walter Hansel Pinot Noir
Calluna CVC
Smith-Madrone Cab and Chardonnay

I think the Davenport cellars 65% closeout sale for wine that was already selling at a reasonable price fits the bill here…