Mondavi Reserve '92

Been running through a few 80s cali cabs during lockdown with lamb off the grill and this is the youngest so far.

Surprisingly youthful. It’s a serviceable drink;mostly one note but with a herbal undertone. Not much identifiable character otherwise. It’s not what would be called modern but the alcohol does poke out a touch. Balance is ok otherwise, tannins are well integrated. With hindsight I’d have buried this for a few years but without much optimism; too late now it’s my only bottle, but I’m fine with that. I’ve had the '87 once or twice this year and maybe that’s skewed my expectations.

The '91 was really good on release and that '87 was fabulous.

Have you tried the 85’ by chance? If so, thoughts?

so '87 was good I assume? Been saving mine and may finally pop it open this year.

I haven’t. I had an '85 Dunn a month or so ago that was in a decent spot and I didn’t regret opening it then.

The '87 is my personal benchmark for 80s cali cab. It’s in a good spot now and my guess is it will continue to age well. I got just one left too. I’d like to hold for a few years just to see but I’ll probably end up impulse opening it way before that. pileon

FWIW a friend opened a 90 Mondavi reserve in January. Perhaps a great bottle more than a great wine but maybe not. Nonetheless my WOTY for 2020 thus far