TNs: 08 Rhys Alpine Chard, 05 Marechal Pommard Chaniere, 07 T. Liger-Belair Les St. Georges

• 2008 Rhys Chardonnay Alpine Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (7/20/2020)
    Light gold color. Nose of apple core, white pear, citrus, and a hint of peach. Layers of grapefruit, pear, apple, white peach, and apricot on the finely etched palate with bracing cut and stony spine. Excellent acidity and superb delineation of fruit. Longer finish of lemon-lime, apricot, and flinty stone coming together with satisfying harmony and resolution. No excess body fat on this one. (93 pts.)
  • 2005 Catherine et Claude Maréchal Pommard La Chanière - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Pommard (7/18/2020)
    Darker opaque ruby. Nose of damp cellar, iodine, lavender, dark raspberry, spiky black cherry, brier, fine stone. On the palate lots of raspberry, craggy dark cherry, iron filings, and dusty soil after brief appearance of oak spice which ultimately faded away. Copious acidity and firm, grainy tannin. Longer finish of fine dirt, blue fruits, and brambles. Character and raw materials galore. Quite the statement from a village level Pommard. (91 pts.)
  • 2007 Thibault Liger-Belair Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Les Saint Georges - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru (7/17/2020)
    Medium ruby color. Nose of musky red raspberry, cherry pits, hyacinth, damp earth, a bit of camphor. Layers of raspberry, densely packed earth, feathered iron notes, and spice on the textured palate. Bright acidity and smoothed, slightly dusty tannin. Long finish of red fruit and red earth cut with fine iron particles and brambly grip. Really satisfying. This has evolved very nicely. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks Doug. Really like the Claude Marechal wines.

Hi Jeremy,

My only bottle (thus far). I looked up the domaine and learned that Claude was befriended by Henri Jayer in the early 1980s and took many of Jayer’s practices to heart. I’ve never sampled a Jayer wine, but there was lots of life and magical dirt in this bottle.

Cheers,
Doug