TN: A lost Friday afternoon gathering – COVID safety measures - Mostly Blind

A LOST FRIDAY AFTERNOON GATHERING – COVID SAFETY MEASURES - MOSTLY BLIND - Reston, Va (7/10/2020)

Six of us got together to drink a few nice bottles. As usual, the host was incredibly generous! We tasted ten wines blind and the results were humbling and not surprisingly surprising.

Champagne
The 08 Cristal showed incredibly well once again. I have been blessed to drink a lot of the 96 Oenotheques and I think I finally understand it.

• 1996 Dom Pérignon Champagne Oenothèque - France, Champagne
    One of the participants mentions a hint of TCA, the host mentions being slightly lean. The 96 DP Oenotheque is fascinating as it often shows “lees funk”. With air and as gets warmer, exquisite nose displaying delicate yellow fruit, yellow peach, lemon curd, baked apple, brioche, smoke and mineral. Perfectly harmonious palate, very finely layered delicious yellow fruit, fine medium abundant mousse, polished and weightless, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, and a seamless long sweet yellow fruit driven finish with brioche and baked apple at the end. The palate to die for. (98 pts.)
  • 2002 Louis Roederer Champagne Cristal Brut - France, Champagne
    Medium expressive nose displaying cinnamon apple, a hint of red currant, anise, smoke, crème brulee and mineral. Very good concentration, packed rich yellow fruit, medium abundant medium fine mousse, rich and deeply toned, medium acidity and medium mineral, and a medium to long yellow fruit driven finish with cinnamon and crème brulee at the end. Drinking beautifully but lacks the intensity and precision of the 08. (94 pts.)
  • 2008 Louis Roederer Champagne Cristal Brut - France, Champagne
    Expressive energetic nose displaying opulent yellow fruit, fresh apple juice, lemon curd, light caramel, white pepper, saline, smoke and crushed stone. Excellent concentration, very finely layered perfectly ripe yellow fruit, very fine abundant mousse, rich yet fresh and precise, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, and a seamless long perfectly ripe yellow fruit driven finish with lemon and limestone at the end. The 08 magically combines perfect intensity, precision and balance. (98 pts.)

White Burgundy
Blind tasting is the great equalizer. Although no Coche flint, the Coche BB was incredible, showing exceptional density and complexity. The Butteaux was excellent as well. The Valmur needed time.

• 2010 François Raveneau Chablis 1er Cru Butteaux - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis 1er Cru
    Perfectly mature yet youthful nose displaying rich yellow fruit, lemon and apple, noticeable mint, white chocolate, honey, cool mountain stream and limestone. Perfectly harmonious palate, very finely layered subtle yellow fruit, exceptional harmony and precision, bright acidity, strong mineral, and a seamless long yellow fruit driven finish with mint and honey at the end. I notice the yellow wax capsule so obviously Raveneau but it also shows telltale signs of the top quality Chablis. My guess is the 02 as it shows beautiful maturity. Most guesses are Valmur or Blanchots.
    Drinking incredibly well. (96 pts.)
  • 2014 Coche-Dury Bourgogne Blanc - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne Blanc
    Unbelievably opulent nose displaying concentrated sweet yellow fruit, there is a hint of botrytis, noticeable oak, caramel and spicy spices. Excellent concentration, nicely layered concentrated yellow fruit, rich, fat and unctuous, a lot of red wine like dry extract, bright acidity, medium mineral, and a long opulent yellow fruit driven finish with honey and oak at the end. I am thinking a big 1er crus Meursault, some are thinking Batard or Chevalier. Wow for a BB, a nice big piece of humble pie for all of us! The person who brought the wine noticed Coche flint upon opening but no longer noticeable. (96 pts.)
  • 2012 François Raveneau Chablis Grand Cru Valmur - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis Grand Cru
    Expressive nose displaying rich white and yellow fruit, a hint of oak, honey, white flowers and mineral. Excellent concentration, packed concentrated white and yellow fruit, dense, generous and rich, medium acidity, medium mineral and a medium long rich yellow fruit driven finish. I am thinking a 1er crus Meursault as it is fat and there is a hint of oak. Still needs time. (93 pts.)

Red Burgundy
The M-G was memorable, everything that we look for in a perfectly mature red Burgundy. Considering the 09 Leroy Latricieres is selling for above $4k, it has to be one of the most underwhelming wine.

• 2006 Domaine Georges Mugneret-Gibourg Clos Vougeot - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos Vougeot Grand Cru
    Absolutely gorgeous nose displaying perfectly ripe red fruit with a hint of black, raspberry jelly, blackberry, rose, light caramel, perfume, tree bark and earth. There is only a slight hint of sous bois. Perfectly harmonious and balanced palate, beautifully layered concentrated red fruit, rich and opulent yet pure and weightless, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, and a seamless long pure red fruit driven finish with rose and light caramel at the end. Drinking magnificently but can easily improve and transform for a couple more decades. My guess is the 07 Roumier BM. (98 pts.)
  • 2009 Domaine Leroy Latricières-Chambertin - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Latricières-Chambertin Grand Cru
    Medium expressive nose displaying concentrated ripe black fruit, blackberry, black cherry, dominating coffee note, strong stem, a hint of oak, smoke and earth. Excellent concentration, packed ripe black fruit, rich and big, bright acidity, earthy mineral, and a medium to long ripe black fruit driven finish with coffee and stem at the end. I am guessing ’04 or ’11 for the strong stem note. All of us find it underwhelming. Blind tasting is the great equalizer. The worst $4k wine of my life. (91 pts.)
  • 1995 Christophe Roumier Ruchottes-Chambertin - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Ruchottes-Chambertin Grand Cru
    Beautiful mature nose displaying black fruit initially and quickly turns red, blackberry, raspberry preserve, cola, sous bois, cinnamon, mocha, a hint of soy, iron and earth. Fully integrated palate, nicely layered generous slightly dry red fruit, rich yet silky, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, still noticeable slightly coarse tannins and a long sweet red fruit driven finish with sous bois and iron at the end. Slightly old school, drinking beautifully. (94 pts.)

Barolo
I enjoyed the 99 Rocche del Falletto once again, could easily be a red label.

• 1999 Bruno Giacosa Barolo Le Rocche del Falletto di Serralunga d’Alba - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Expressive nose displaying ripe black fruit, black cherry, fruitcake, a hint of mint, tar, tobacco, leather, cedar, a hint of oak and earth. Excellent concentration, layers upon layers of concentrated black fruit, round and warm, also silky and nicely detailed, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, still a hint of tannins and a long sweet black fruit driven finish with fruitcake and mint at the end. It is drinking beautifully with generous fruit but can still improve. For my palate, this could have been a red label. (95 pts.)
  • 2001 Poderi Aldo Conterno Barolo Riserva Granbussia - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    A big scale nose displaying concentrated very ripe black fruit, blackberry jam, black cherry, licorice, caramel, tar, a hint of VA, balsamico and earth. Excellent concentration, layers upon layers of concentrated black fruit, rich and opulent, bright acidity and mineral, and a long intense ripe black fruit driven finish with licorice and VA at the end. My guess is the 90s Giacomo Conterno Cascina Francia based on the ripe concentrated dark fruit expression. This is a big scale wine. (95 pts.)
  • 1974 Bruno Giacosa Barolo Ginestra - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Initially very pale color but magically gains color with air. Expressive nose displaying ripe red fruit, strawberry jam, dry cherry, a hint of licorice, caramel, dry mushroom and iron. Fully resolved harmonious palate, nicely layered sweet red fruit, bright acidity, strong iron mineral, fully resolved tannins and a seamless long sweet red fruit driven finish with mushroom and iron at the end. It is still drinking beautifully, consistent with the last two bottles. (96 pts.)

1990 Giacomo Conterno Barolo Cascina Francia
Although drinkable, this was not 100% correct. There seem to be major bottle variations.

• 1990 Giacomo Conterno Barolo Cascina Francia - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Roland’s initial bottle but he thought a bit tired upon opening and brought the 01 Granbussia as his back up bottle. With air, it is drinking ok, gaining weight but a bit oxidative still. There seem to be significant bottle variations. NR (flawed)

2002 La Tache
The host was incredibly generous. The best showing of the 02 La Tache for me.

• 2002 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti La Tâche - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, La Tâche Grand Cru
    Perfectly mature yet youthful nose displaying perfectly ripe generous black fruit, blackberry, black cherry, a slight hint of stem, black tea, mocha, Vosne spice, rose, perfume, light caramel and limestone. Exceptional balance and harmony, layers upon layers of ripe black fruit, rich yet beautifully detailed and precise, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, and a seamless long sweet black fruit driven finish with Vosne spice and stem at the end. Perhaps the best showing of the 02 La Tache for me. Still a long life a head but drinking absolutely magnificently. (98 pts.)

1989 Chave Hermitage
Another incredible gesture by the host but I was just about done!

• 1989 Domaine Jean-Louis Chave Hermitage - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Hermitage
    Having had a generous pour of the 02 La Tache, I can only guess Syrah. Very meaty, a hint of dry cherry, a hint of mint and cinnamon. Fully integrated palate. Drinking beautifully but I am just about done.

A great time was had by all!
Posted from CellarTracker

Dom Pérignon oenothèque 1996 : 18,5/20 – 9/4/11 (tasted in a great verticale with Richard Geoffroy in Toulouse - Grand Hôtel de l’Opéra)
Nez très frais mêlant de superbes et complexes senteurs de moka, de minéral (ambre ?), de fruits (agrumes, poire, d’abricot, orange, banane, fruits secs), de fumée, de coquille d’huître (un petit et inattendu air chablisien). De l’éclat et un côté cristallin, eau de roche du plus bel effet.
Cœur complexe, sapide, marqué comme il se doit sur ce millésime par une acidité prononcée, autoritaire mais bien « emballée ». Yin et yang selon notre guide (l’équilibre du chardonnay et du pinot noir, la poigne et la douceur).

March 2018, “au fil du zinc”, restaurant in Chablis (highly recommended for choice and Q/P) :
Raveneau Chablis Butteaux 2010 : 18,5/20 (65 euros ! luckily chosen despite the youth and the strength of the vintage)

I am looking forward to opening my Coche-Dury Meursault 2014 …

I had the Raveneau Montée de Tonnerre 2014 two weeks ago : promising but it still needs time …

Wow. I need to find more hosts like this one :slight_smile:. Superb tasting notes to what looks like a magical day for any wine lover. Thank you for sharing.

Nice notes Kevin - certainly a Friday afternoon, we all aspire to. [cheers.gif]

Phenomenal lineup. And particularly fascinating notes on the Coche BB, Mugneret-Gibourg, and Leroy.

'02 La Tache is in the pantheon of one of the very small handful of best wines I’ve ever had.

Some nice wines there Kevin.

I seem to recall RMP didn’t publish notes on the 2002 DRC line-up because the wines didn’t reach 88 points or above. Nice to see a 98 pointer! I like the '02 DRC’s by the way.