What's wrong with Saxum?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Lee Ibarra

Re: What's wrong with Saxum?

#51 Post by Lee Ibarra » July 30th, 2020, 3:25 pm

larry schaffer wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 3:09 pm
So hypothesizing, do you think Justin is making more wine and therefore increasing the total number of folks on the mailing list? Or do you think folks are dropping off, opening up spaces?

Cheers.
I think both.. I signed up in 13 and got on this list today.. I also have friends who signed up in 15 they also made the list today..

Jason Petty

#52 Post by Jason Petty » July 30th, 2020, 3:41 pm

Lee Ibarra wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 3:25 pm
larry schaffer wrote:
So hypothesizing, do you think Justin is making more wine and therefore increasing the total number of folks on the mailing list? Or do you think folks are dropping off, opening up spaces?

Cheers.
I think both.. I signed up in 13 and got on this list today.. I also have friends who signed up in 15 they also made the list today..
I think it leans more to people not buying due to the current economic climate. I got on the Saxum list last Fall after waiting a little over 8 years. And now people are getting on after waiting only 5? In addition, I've been getting tons of offer emails from wineries (mostly Napa) over the past 4 months from 1) wineries I've never bought from, from 2) waitlists that I've waited 4+ years and now I'm offered first time allocation, and 3) wineries I've bought from in the past but haven't in the last couple years and now they're all of a sudden sending me an offer again. My guess is the majority are trying to survive and grab any sale they can.

Mstanford

#53 Post by Mstanford » July 30th, 2020, 4:35 pm

I'm in the same boat - first offer email earlier today. I didn't look, but figure it was 2014/2015 time frame when i went on the wait list. '17 Hexe & 18 Broken Stones...ok, let's do it.

Been taking part of friend's allocation for a few years & it felt like standing in line at the "club" and slipping a $20 to the bouncer to get in. Not cool.
Mike Stanford

JonathanG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#54 Post by JonathanG » July 30th, 2020, 9:49 pm

Jason Petty wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 3:41 pm
Lee Ibarra wrote:
larry schaffer wrote:

Cheers.
I think it leans more to people not buying due to the current economic climate. I got on the Saxum list last Fall after waiting a little over 8 years. And now people are getting on after waiting only 5? In addition, I've been getting tons of offer emails from wineries (mostly Napa) over the past 4 months from 1) wineries I've never bought from, from 2) waitlists that I've waited 4+ years and now I'm offered first time allocation, and 3) wineries I've bought from in the past but haven't in the last couple years and now they're all of a sudden sending me an offer again. My guess is the majority are trying to survive and grab any sale they can.
I suspect with restaurant sales totally dried up, these wineries now have a lot more wine on their hands and can offer it to more people now. Will be interesting to see what happens with those allocations if things get back to normal. Maybe they just cut everyone's allocation amount so they dont' have to boot people off the list again?
J0|\|@+h@n Gr@h@m

etomasi

#55 Post by etomasi » July 30th, 2020, 10:05 pm

Amusingly, I just got the email today that I made the list for the Aug release. Ha!
---
Eric Tomasi
CT: Ericindc

Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#56 Post by Jason T » July 30th, 2020, 10:12 pm

etomasi wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 10:05 pm
Amusingly, I just got the email today that I made the list for the Aug release. Ha!
Same! Pretty sure I signed up for it years ago when I first joined this forum. No chance I’ll take the allocation now- more wine for someone else!
J@son Tr@ughber

Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by Robert M yers » July 30th, 2020, 11:46 pm

JonathanG wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 9:49 pm
Jason Petty wrote:
Lee Ibarra wrote:

I suspect with restaurant sales totally dried up, these wineries now have a lot more wine on their hands and can offer it to more people now. Will be interesting to see what happens with those allocations if things get back to normal. Maybe they just cut everyone's allocation amount so they dont' have to boot people off the list again?
Has anybody ever seen a Saxum on a restaurant wine list? (Obtained through a wholesaler).

A1ex H

#58 Post by A1ex H » July 31st, 2020, 1:22 am

Robert M yers wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 11:46 pm
Has anybody ever seen a Saxum on a restaurant wine list? (Obtained through a wholesaler).
I've seen it on the wine list of The Girl & The Fig in Sonoma - no clue if it was from a wholesaler.
H@ns£n

Joe B
GCC Member
GCC Member

#59 Post by Joe B » July 31st, 2020, 5:31 am

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld wrote:
July 18th, 2020, 11:24 am
I’ll tell you what’s wrong with Saxum...I’m still on the waiting list!
[swearing.gif]
Not me, I cracked it one prior release ago. champagne.gif
J W@ll @ce

John Draper

#60 Post by John Draper » July 31st, 2020, 2:50 pm

I received the same email, originally signed up for the list June 2014
liberstein

J. Rock

#61 Post by J. Rock » July 31st, 2020, 2:57 pm

Robert M yers wrote:
JonathanG wrote:
Jason Petty wrote:

I believe I've seen it on a few, including Thomas Hill Organics in Paso.
J o r d a n

markjchambers

#62 Post by markjchambers » July 31st, 2020, 3:32 pm

When I got on the list, they made Broken Stones, James Berry, Bone Rock, Heartstone, Booker and occasionally Rocket Block. Since then, they've added Paderewskil, Terry Hoage, G2, Hexe and Four Hearts. Unless they've cut production, they're making more wine. But new wines have come gradually so I think if a lot of people are getting on now, it has to be the economy.

Thomas Concilio

#63 Post by Thomas Concilio » July 31st, 2020, 4:05 pm

larry schaffer wrote:

Cheers.
I think that it is probably a little of both. With everything that is going on, more people are holding on to their $$$, if they have any.
ITB - Retail

John F. Ingram

#64 Post by John F. Ingram » August 2nd, 2020, 4:11 pm

The cellar tracker information seems to indicate a reduction in direct sales. Looking at the 2018 Broken Stones there are only 575 bottles this is about between 20 to 30% of past vintages. I know some people are not diligent about entering information in Cellar tracker, and some people may not enter a wine until its received but this seems like sales are down.

I don't think it is linked to increased production because the case numbers seem consistent since 2010. I put together the following info. form the Saxum website.

Case production:
2018 - 1306 cases
2017 - 1160 cases
2016 - 905 cases
2015 - 1100 cases
2014 - 1000 cases
2013 - 1365 cases
2012 - 1010 cases
2011 - 1150 cases
2010 - 1380 cases
Attachments
saxum.png
Last edited by John F. Ingram on August 2nd, 2020, 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#65 Post by Robert M yers » August 2nd, 2020, 7:03 pm

Not a absolute comparison, but I’ve received email offers with Booker vineyards wines at sub $50. There’s just a lot of great wine out there right now.

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#66 Post by Michael Martin » August 2nd, 2020, 7:36 pm

Robert M yers wrote:
JonathanG wrote:
Jason Petty wrote:

Del Friscos in Denver.

IanY

#67 Post by IanY » August 2nd, 2020, 11:33 pm

On the list since last year, but only bought 1 each of broken stones, hexe and paderewski due to financial constraints. And honestly, Im not sure there's much financial incentive to buy on the list when many bottles sell at auction for close to or even below current prices. (Similar to other popular producers, not unique to saxum)
Ian Young

SZZimmermann
GCC Member
GCC Member

#68 Post by SZZimmermann » August 3rd, 2020, 12:39 pm

This might have covered earlier in the thread. I have been on the Saxum list for a long time. I have accumulated a bunch. I am finding it hard to drink them through. including because of alcohol levels and the need to age them. Despite there stellar ratings they mostly sell below what they cost you. It therefore makes sense to buy them at auction etc bottles with age. Because of all this I did not buy this offering.
Scott Zimmermann

Return to “Wine Talk”