What's wrong with Saxum?

There are a number of Saxum allocations being offered in the commerce corner. It seems more than other wine makers. Are they overpricing their wines? I don’t see that many allocations popping up for other producers so it doesn’t seem like a general pandemic thing. I saw a thread about Kosta Browne and high prices, but not much more.

Interestingly, folks are offering their allocations but apparently not giving up their spot on the list.

Can anyone explain this for me?

Thanks,

Lonnie

Global pandemic?
I bought most of my allocation, and drank a 10 Terry H last night.

Absolutely nothing. Some may be watching money, some may have a lot in the cellar already and many many more taking all or part of their allocations.
I happen to like Saxums with 10+ years of age and have slowed my buying as I’m not sure how much I’ll be drinking in 10 more years.

Not much in my mind, I have a '16 G2 tee’d up for this evening.

They are not cheap, but are consistently spectacular.

I have not tasted a Saxum wine and although I am on the waiting list, this presents an opportunity to try them now. Considering this release, are there some standard wines available that would provide a sense of their winemaking?

I haven’t had that many, but I’d go for a Broken Stones with about 10 - 15 years on it if you can find one on KL, Benchmark, of Vinfolio. The few older ones I’ve had have aged wonderfully so far, and I prefer the stuffing to integrate more compared to a young wine. If I’m opening a younger Saxum, I’ll decant for several hours or even slow ox it for a day, but I guess it depends on how you like to drink you wine.

Cheers!

Thanks everyone. I had the 2010 Broken Stones and loved it. I was concerned as I didn’t see that many offers for other producers’ allocations.

Thanks again,

Lonnie

I’ll tell you what’s wrong with Saxum…I’m still on the waiting list!
[swearing.gif]

I also noticed this and found it interesting as well.

EDIT: The answer seems not too complex; all the back years are available at near release price

https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/saxum+broken+stones/1/usa

The answer seems not too complex; all the back years are available at near release price

I think this is a bit simplistic. Many are available for not much over today’s release price, which is considerably higher than the original release prices in many cases. Also, special vintages draw a much higher price, like any Saxum 2007. While 2007 JBV was the best, Bone Rock, Heart Stone, etc., weren’t far behind.
I think the waiting list progress is the best indication of current demand.

They are wildly successful. They make more wine than in the early days, the prices are higher, they offer a decent volume to the higher tiers (at least they did), and there aren’t many producers making similar wines as well. So, people try to maintain their tier or move up by taking their allocation and selling to others (friends, Commerce Corner, etc.). Except for certain years/wines, they don’t generate enough of a mark-up to mainly go to auction. People aren’t selling because they don’t like the wine, they could just not buy it. They are trying to maintain their status.

It’s a bigger, riper style than most of the wines I buy but very well-made when I want to scratch that itch. I was on the list starting with the 2002 vintage (bought early vintages before it was all mailing list) and ended with the 2013 vintage because I bought a lot faster than I drank. I still have quite a lot, drank a bottle of the 2005 James Berry 44 Month last weekend.

I’m also rather fond of Justin and Saxum for being a fundamental part of my Paso experiences over the years.

-Al

My experience is that this has long been the case with Saxum. It took me 8 years to get on the list (about a year ago), but in the interim, it was always pretty easy to find people willing to share their allocation at cost, except for Rocket Block. Maybe it’s because there are so many different bottlings that few people can use their entire allocation? And maybe people feel like they want to maximize their purchases in order to get allocated Rocket Block? Just a theory.

I have usually found the same to be the case with regular bottlings of SQN. It takes forever to get on the list, but it’s easy to find people who want to share their regular bottlings at cost, so they can keep buying the EBAs and the oddities that are produced in small quantities.

yah, this makes a ton of sense.

When I brought my son and his now wife to Paso Robles for the Hospice and a Berserker event we had the opportunity to visit the cellar/cave. (Thanks Bill) I have to say that Saxum really made them step back and say WOW! They aren’t new to wine. And, generally my son tends toward old school, aged and European wines generally (Piedmont, Montalcino, Hermitage, Burgundy). But, Saxum and Justin Smith made a huge impression of what the Central Coast has to offer. Unless it is from a lesser vintage (or more exactly… an early drinking vintage) by our standards Saxum is more a wine for 10+ or even really a 15+ year drinking window. The 05’s in particular were wonderful! These are not wines I would sell! And, even though they seem to be getting a little more expensive, I would have to argue that for their inherent quality that Justin has shown a generous level of restraint on pricing! This is one mailing list membership I am sure my son fully expects to inherit/take over.

I can only say that as it is inevitable as we get older that we can’t at some point keep buying wines that we love to drink with 15 years of bottle age… we find ourselves dropping off of lists! But, there are a number of great Central Coast producers including Torrin, Linne Colado, Villa Creek, Tablas Creek, Alban … and Daou (and Tercero… although Larry prefers to be a Santa Barbara designated wine). And, Justin is just a profoundly decent human being!

So, everything is just great with Saxum!

Saxum like so many CA wineries is trying to increase sales since tasting rooms are closed and they need the increased traffic. Nothing wrong with Saxum that I can’t tell. Allocation comes at regular intervals.

Saxum has no tasting room and no need to increase sales (they sell every bottle they make and have a long waiting list).

They have a unique product, a great vineyard site and dedicated customers.

Saxum sells out and has a waiting list years long. Wait, what was the question?

I’m on the waiting list for the last 5 or six years, but there is no way I could take the full allocation every time. So honestly, I will probably pass when/if I get in. I like Saxum under the right circumstances, but I could never drink more than a couple bottles a year. I find that they really don’t go well with most of the food I cook.

What’s wrong with some people?

lol i didn’t even start this thread but the sensitivity around here when it comes to questions about mailing lists is hilarious. was a fair question and i think answered really well by roybehr. Big allocations and people want to “impress” the producer to get the prize wine that’s hard to get w/o buying your full allocation. So they are offering it up for sale.