What's wrong with Saxum?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Message
Author
Lonnie F.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 489
Joined: November 26th, 2017, 12:26 pm

What's wrong with Saxum?

#1 Post by Lonnie F. » July 18th, 2020, 8:15 am

There are a number of Saxum allocations being offered in the commerce corner. It seems more than other wine makers. Are they overpricing their wines? I don't see that many allocations popping up for other producers so it doesn't seem like a general pandemic thing. I saw a thread about Kosta Browne and high prices, but not much more.

Interestingly, folks are offering their allocations but apparently not giving up their spot on the list.

Can anyone explain this for me?

Thanks,

Lonnie
Lonnie Fuller

User avatar
Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 10454
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 2:55 am
Location: in between coastal SC and south FL

Re: What's wrong with Saxum?

#2 Post by Scott Brunson » July 18th, 2020, 8:23 am

Lonnie F. wrote:
July 18th, 2020, 8:15 am
There are a number of Saxum allocations being offered in the commerce corner. It seems more than other wine makers. Are they overpricing their wines? I don't see that many allocations popping up for other producers so it doesn't seem like a general pandemic thing. I saw a thread about Kosta Browne and high prices, but not much more.

Interestingly, folks are offering their allocations but apparently not giving up their spot on the list.

Can anyone explain this for me?

Thanks,

Lonnie
Global pandemic?
I bought most of my allocation, and drank a 10 Terry H last night.
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

Michael Sopher
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1864
Joined: April 11th, 2010, 10:58 am
Location: NYC

Re: What's wrong with Saxum?

#3 Post by Michael Sopher » July 18th, 2020, 9:17 am

Absolutely nothing. Some may be watching money, some may have a lot in the cellar already and many many more taking all or part of their allocations.
I happen to like Saxums with 10+ years of age and have slowed my buying as I'm not sure how much I'll be drinking in 10 more years.

User avatar
M. Dildine
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 22227
Joined: February 8th, 2009, 5:09 pm
Location: Alta California

Re: What's wrong with Saxum?

#4 Post by M. Dildine » July 18th, 2020, 9:43 am

Not much in my mind, I have a '16 G2 tee'd up for this evening.

They are not cheap, but are consistently spectacular.
Cheers,

Mike

Carlton McCrindle
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 411
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 9:25 am

Re: What's wrong with Saxum?

#5 Post by Carlton McCrindle » July 18th, 2020, 10:33 am

I have not tasted a Saxum wine and although I am on the waiting list, this presents an opportunity to try them now. Considering this release, are there some standard wines available that would provide a sense of their winemaking?

J. Rock
Posts: 907
Joined: March 11th, 2019, 4:53 pm
Location: The [West] Valley

Re: What's wrong with Saxum?

#6 Post by J. Rock » July 18th, 2020, 10:53 am

Carlton McCrindle wrote:
July 18th, 2020, 10:33 am
I have not tasted a Saxum wine and although I am on the waiting list, this presents an opportunity to try them now. Considering this release, are there some standard wines available that would provide a sense of their winemaking?
I haven't had that many, but I'd go for a Broken Stones with about 10 - 15 years on it if you can find one on KL, Benchmark, of Vinfolio. The few older ones I've had have aged wonderfully so far, and I prefer the stuffing to integrate more compared to a young wine. If I'm opening a younger Saxum, I'll decant for several hours or even slow ox it for a day, but I guess it depends on how you like to drink you wine.

Cheers!
J o r d a n

Lonnie F.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 489
Joined: November 26th, 2017, 12:26 pm

Re: What's wrong with Saxum?

#7 Post by Lonnie F. » July 18th, 2020, 11:05 am

Thanks everyone. I had the 2010 Broken Stones and loved it. I was concerned as I didn't see that many offers for other producers' allocations.

Thanks again,

Lonnie
Lonnie Fuller

User avatar
Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3890
Joined: March 12th, 2013, 7:32 am

Re: What's wrong with Saxum?

#8 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » July 18th, 2020, 11:24 am

I’ll tell you what’s wrong with Saxum...I’m still on the waiting list!
[swearing.gif]

User avatar
MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1646
Joined: July 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Re: What's wrong with Saxum?

#9 Post by MatthewT » July 18th, 2020, 2:26 pm

I also noticed this and found it interesting as well.

EDIT: The answer seems not too complex; all the back years are available at near release price

https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/saxu ... ones/1/usa
I'm a Turk

Bill Gibbs
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 592
Joined: October 28th, 2012, 8:08 pm
Location: Moorpark / Paso Robles, CA

Re: What's wrong with Saxum?

#10 Post by Bill Gibbs » July 18th, 2020, 2:59 pm

The answer seems not too complex; all the back years are available at near release price
I think this is a bit simplistic. Many are available for not much over today's release price, which is considerably higher than the original release prices in many cases. Also, special vintages draw a much higher price, like any Saxum 2007. While 2007 JBV was the best, Bone Rock, Heart Stone, etc., weren't far behind.
I think the waiting list progress is the best indication of current demand.

User avatar
Al Osterheld
Posts: 6856
Joined: March 15th, 2009, 5:47 am
Location: SF Bay

Re: What's wrong with Saxum?

#11 Post by Al Osterheld » July 18th, 2020, 3:53 pm

They are wildly successful. They make more wine than in the early days, the prices are higher, they offer a decent volume to the higher tiers (at least they did), and there aren't many producers making similar wines as well. So, people try to maintain their tier or move up by taking their allocation and selling to others (friends, Commerce Corner, etc.). Except for certain years/wines, they don't generate enough of a mark-up to mainly go to auction. People aren't selling because they don't like the wine, they could just not buy it. They are trying to maintain their status.

It's a bigger, riper style than most of the wines I buy but very well-made when I want to scratch that itch. I was on the list starting with the 2002 vintage (bought early vintages before it was all mailing list) and ended with the 2013 vintage because I bought a lot faster than I drank. I still have quite a lot, drank a bottle of the 2005 James Berry 44 Month last weekend.

I'm also rather fond of Justin and Saxum for being a fundamental part of my Paso experiences over the years.

-Al

roybehr
Posts: 50
Joined: July 1st, 2018, 9:42 pm

Re: What's wrong with Saxum?

#12 Post by roybehr » July 18th, 2020, 4:00 pm

My experience is that this has long been the case with Saxum. It took me 8 years to get on the list (about a year ago), but in the interim, it was always pretty easy to find people willing to share their allocation at cost, except for Rocket Block. Maybe it's because there are so many different bottlings that few people can use their entire allocation? And maybe people feel like they want to maximize their purchases in order to get allocated Rocket Block? Just a theory.

I have usually found the same to be the case with regular bottlings of SQN. It takes forever to get on the list, but it's easy to find people who want to share their regular bottlings at cost, so they can keep buying the EBAs and the oddities that are produced in small quantities.

User avatar
MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1646
Joined: July 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Re: What's wrong with Saxum?

#13 Post by MatthewT » July 18th, 2020, 4:01 pm

roybehr wrote:
July 18th, 2020, 4:00 pm
My experience is that this has long been the case with Saxum. It took me 8 years to get on the list (about a year ago), but in the interim, it was always pretty easy to find people willing to share their allocation at cost, except for Rocket Block. Maybe it's because there are so many different bottlings that few people can use their entire allocation? And maybe people feel like they want to maximize their purchases in order to get allocated Rocket Block? Just a theory.

I have usually found the same to be the case with regular bottlings of SQN. It takes forever to get on the list, but it's easy to find people who want to share their regular bottlings at cost, so they can keep buying the EBAs and the oddities that are produced in small quantities.
yah, this makes a ton of sense.
I'm a Turk

mattbillet
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 362
Joined: June 15th, 2009, 6:55 am

Re: What's wrong with Saxum?

#14 Post by mattbillet » July 18th, 2020, 4:15 pm

When I brought my son and his now wife to Paso Robles for the Hospice and a Berserker event we had the opportunity to visit the cellar/cave. (Thanks Bill) I have to say that Saxum really made them step back and say WOW! They aren't new to wine. And, generally my son tends toward old school, aged and European wines generally (Piedmont, Montalcino, Hermitage, Burgundy). But, Saxum and Justin Smith made a huge impression of what the Central Coast has to offer. Unless it is from a lesser vintage (or more exactly... an early drinking vintage) by our standards Saxum is more a wine for 10+ or even really a 15+ year drinking window. The 05's in particular were wonderful! These are not wines I would sell! And, even though they seem to be getting a little more expensive, I would have to argue that for their inherent quality that Justin has shown a generous level of restraint on pricing! This is one mailing list membership I am sure my son fully expects to inherit/take over.

I can only say that as it is inevitable as we get older that we can't at some point keep buying wines that we love to drink with 15 years of bottle age... we find ourselves dropping off of lists! But, there are a number of great Central Coast producers including Torrin, Linne Colado, Villa Creek, Tablas Creek, Alban ... and Daou (and Tercero... although Larry prefers to be a Santa Barbara designated wine). And, Justin is just a profoundly decent human being!

So, everything is just great with Saxum!

User avatar
lleichtman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1677
Joined: June 28th, 2014, 6:28 pm
Location: Santa Fe NM

Re: What's wrong with Saxum?

#15 Post by lleichtman » July 18th, 2020, 4:27 pm

Saxum like so many CA wineries is trying to increase sales since tasting rooms are closed and they need the increased traffic. Nothing wrong with Saxum that I can't tell. Allocation comes at regular intervals.
Lawrence G. Leichtman

User avatar
M. Dildine
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 22227
Joined: February 8th, 2009, 5:09 pm
Location: Alta California

Re: What's wrong with Saxum?

#16 Post by M. Dildine » July 18th, 2020, 4:35 pm

lleichtman wrote:
July 18th, 2020, 4:27 pm
Saxum like so many CA wineries is trying to increase sales since tasting rooms are closed and they need the increased traffic. Nothing wrong with Saxum that I can't tell. Allocation comes at regular intervals.
Saxum has no tasting room and no need to increase sales (they sell every bottle they make and have a long waiting list).

They have a unique product, a great vineyard site and dedicated customers.
Cheers,

Mike

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6975
Joined: August 28th, 2010, 3:35 pm

Re: What's wrong with Saxum?

#17 Post by Michael Martin » July 18th, 2020, 4:42 pm

Saxum sells out and has a waiting list years long. Wait, what was the question?

User avatar
etomasi
Posts: 1050
Joined: November 22nd, 2013, 11:48 am
Location: Washington, DC

Re: What's wrong with Saxum?

#18 Post by etomasi » July 18th, 2020, 5:53 pm

I'm on the waiting list for the last 5 or six years, but there is no way I could take the full allocation every time. So honestly, I will probably pass when/if I get in. I like Saxum under the right circumstances, but I could never drink more than a couple bottles a year. I find that they really don't go well with most of the food I cook.
---
Eric Tomasi
CT: Ericindc

User avatar
Gray G
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 646
Joined: August 20th, 2009, 10:25 am

Re: What's wrong with Saxum?

#19 Post by Gray G » July 18th, 2020, 5:59 pm

What's wrong with some people?
my friends call me Gary, so much time, so little wine, Albanista, K Vinters rocks! MCK, Cattle King, love Gri3v3 Family wines Double Eagle baby! flavors please, non-religious freedom :) egalitarian, non-socialist, non-ITB, paid subscriber of online chat, Going Beserk everyday! "life's not black and white but black and grey"- Graham Greene

User avatar
MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1646
Joined: July 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Re: What's wrong with Saxum?

#20 Post by MatthewT » July 18th, 2020, 6:30 pm

lol i didn't even start this thread but the sensitivity around here when it comes to questions about mailing lists is hilarious. was a fair question and i think answered really well by roybehr. Big allocations and people want to "impress" the producer to get the prize wine that's hard to get w/o buying your full allocation. So they are offering it up for sale.
I'm a Turk

User avatar
Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5798
Joined: June 3rd, 2009, 11:05 am
Location: flight Level 3 seven thousand. NYC Metro

Re: What's wrong with Saxum?

#21 Post by Dan Hammer » July 18th, 2020, 7:16 pm

I tasted the 2013 Saxum Paderewski with Jay Hack at an offline in 2018. You tell me where you can purchase something that delicious for $98.
It compares to Maybach and MACDONALD at almost twice the price.

For those of you not on the list, head over to Commerce Corner and buy a few bottles.
This space for rent.

User avatar
MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1646
Joined: July 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Re: What's wrong with Saxum?

#22 Post by MatthewT » July 18th, 2020, 7:36 pm

What's this MACDONALD you speak of? Do you have a link?
I'm a Turk

User avatar
William Segui
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2718
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:36 pm

Re: What's wrong with Saxum?

#23 Post by William Segui » July 18th, 2020, 7:51 pm

I often buy Saxum off the CC while I wait on the waitlist

User avatar
MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1646
Joined: July 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Re: What's wrong with Saxum?

#24 Post by MatthewT » July 18th, 2020, 8:00 pm

All I learned from this thread is I need to try Saxum. Where do I start? Seems like a 10+ year old something?
I'm a Turk

User avatar
Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3488
Joined: January 5th, 2015, 3:38 pm
Location: Phoenix

Re: What's wrong with Saxum?

#25 Post by Rich Brown » July 18th, 2020, 9:06 pm

MatthewT wrote:
July 18th, 2020, 8:00 pm
All I learned from this thread is I need to try Saxum. Where do I start? Seems like a 10+ year old something?
I heard a rumor that the next De Negoce wine is actually made by Saxum! ;)

mattbillet
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 362
Joined: June 15th, 2009, 6:55 am

Re: What's wrong with Saxum?

#26 Post by mattbillet » July 18th, 2020, 9:19 pm

Justin is an extremely decent and kind individual. Waiting lists are inescapable for wines of this caliber beyond his control. That said when you are a member with an allotment, they are very flexible and decent about sorting things out.
I tend to purchase a certain group of wines and have been consistent with that for years. I think this is a relationship of mutual respect. They routinely offer me wines that I accept all of the time, and others I don't. I have asked for and received mags
at different times (G2 etc.). I think with decent advanced notice if you specifically wanted a magnum for celebrating a special occasion that they are happy to help out wherever they can. That said there is a certain respect for privacy and the fact that Justin's family live around that cave is an important thing to keep in mind. He is a very real person with an incredibly great sense for Paso Robles best vineyard sites and how to "farm them", and an incredible selection of family and neighbor owned vineyards. A lot of the initial core
of Paso Winemakers all grew up together, help each other, genuinely like each other and play a role as a community!

I like to think and feel that way at times about this community. So, my theory is that since there is this long waiting list to acquire these wines, a number of very decent members of this community order their whole allotment and resell them at really no significant profit so that all of the individuals who are really here to find out about these wines, will also have the opportunity to hang onto them for a couple years until you actually drink them!

User avatar
Mike Reff
Posts: 1309
Joined: June 5th, 2009, 2:51 am
Location: Croton on Hudson NY

Re: What's wrong with Saxum?

#27 Post by Mike Reff » July 19th, 2020, 10:29 am

Chiming in, I have been on the list for years, and usually can only take about three or four bottles of year due to financial constraints. Thus, for this year I would probably do the same, but thought might as well offer some to someone who would like to purchase. The prices are more than fair in my opinion.
"My very favorite miserable New Yorker" - Jonathan Sirot
"all you are is a sorry ass little big mouthed punk who thinks he is hot sh*t" - Jonathan Sirot

User avatar
Jeff_M.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 822
Joined: July 18th, 2019, 7:39 am
Location: SoCal

Re: What's wrong with Saxum?

#28 Post by Jeff_M. » July 19th, 2020, 10:29 am

The last two offers this year, I was able to use someone's allocation who was passing or not buying their full allotment. I am grateful for those who have shared the opportunity for me to add some bottles while I wait for my direct chance off the waitlist. By the time I get added I should have some Saxum bottles ready to drink.

Because the wait list is so long people don't want to lose their spot.

There was a similar amount of postings for Scarecrow in March for people who wanted to pass on the 17' vintage but didn't want to lose their spot on the list so they can buy the 18' vintage next year.
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates
2007 Yangarra Estate High Sands Grenache
1986 Spottswoode Cabernet
2012 Hartford Court Arrendell Vineyard Pinot Noir

markjchambers
Posts: 267
Joined: April 19th, 2019, 6:55 am

Re: What's wrong with Saxum?

#29 Post by markjchambers » July 21st, 2020, 11:13 am

I agree with the general sentiment. Since they make so many different wines, taking your full allocation can easily exceed $2K. 10 years ago, my allocation was a case in the Spring and a case in the Fall. Now they have almost doubled the number of different wines they make and my allocation is 3-4 cases per year - way too much. Bedrock and Carlisle and a few others will keep your allocation even if you order less than you are offered, but others will cut you if you don't take everything. I'm not sure where Saxum falls on this spectrum.

User avatar
Andrew Dodd
Posts: 208
Joined: January 5th, 2013, 2:53 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: What's wrong with Saxum?

#30 Post by Andrew Dodd » July 21st, 2020, 12:15 pm

lleichtman wrote:
July 18th, 2020, 4:27 pm
Saxum like so many CA wineries is trying to increase sales since tasting rooms are closed and they need the increased traffic.
But this logic doesn't make sense as the winery has always been closed to the public.
As an estate they literally don't sell a drop of wine via a tasting room they don't have.

I'm sure restaurant sales are down, but that was probably a small portion of the business that could made up for in retail/mailing list sales.

Unsure why more is on the market, will be keeping mine :)

User avatar
Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5798
Joined: June 3rd, 2009, 11:05 am
Location: flight Level 3 seven thousand. NYC Metro

Re: What's wrong with Saxum?

#31 Post by Dan Hammer » July 21st, 2020, 7:58 pm

Andrew Dodd wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 12:15 pm


But this logic doesn't make sense as the winery has always been closed to the public.
As an estate they literally don't sell a drop of wine via a tasting room they don't have.

I'm sure restaurant sales are down, but that was probably a small portion of the business that could made up for in retail/mailing list sales.

Unsure why more is on the market, will be keeping mine :)
On the Bedrock Zoom a few weeks back, he said his business was down big time due to restaurant closures. This makes up a major portion of the business. List buyers aren't a big percentage.
This space for rent.

User avatar
Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3271
Joined: March 10th, 2010, 8:24 pm
Location: Cleveland

Re: What's wrong with Saxum?

#32 Post by Robert M yers » July 21st, 2020, 8:37 pm

markjchambers wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 11:13 am
I agree with the general sentiment. Since they make so many different wines, taking your full allocation can easily exceed $2K. 10 years ago, my allocation was a case in the Spring and a case in the Fall. Now they have almost doubled the number of different wines they make and my allocation is 3-4 cases per year - way too much. Bedrock and Carlisle and a few others will keep your allocation even if you order less than you are offered, but others will cut you if you don't take everything. I'm not sure where Saxum falls on this spectrum.
Mark nailed it here I think. Nothing wrong, just a lot of $100 wines to go around. it’s ultimately why I stopped buying and Am now trying to sell some, how am I going to drink 150 bottles of Saxum! Good problems of course but the cellar was just getting to one sided.

User avatar
Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3271
Joined: March 10th, 2010, 8:24 pm
Location: Cleveland

Re: What's wrong with Saxum?

#33 Post by Robert M yers » July 21st, 2020, 8:38 pm

Dan Hammer wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 7:58 pm
Andrew Dodd wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 12:15 pm


But this logic doesn't make sense as the winery has always been closed to the public.
As an estate they literally don't sell a drop of wine via a tasting room they don't have.

I'm sure restaurant sales are down, but that was probably a small portion of the business that could made up for in retail/mailing list sales.

Unsure why more is on the market, will be keeping mine :)
On the Bedrock Zoom a few weeks back, he said his business was down big time due to restaurant closures. This makes up a major portion of the business. List buyers aren't a big percentage.
Sell us the wines at restaurant wholesale prices and I bet business would uptick?

User avatar
MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1646
Joined: July 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Re: What's wrong with Saxum?

#34 Post by MatthewT » July 21st, 2020, 8:48 pm

Robert M yers wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 8:38 pm
Dan Hammer wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 7:58 pm
Andrew Dodd wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 12:15 pm


But this logic doesn't make sense as the winery has always been closed to the public.
As an estate they literally don't sell a drop of wine via a tasting room they don't have.

I'm sure restaurant sales are down, but that was probably a small portion of the business that could made up for in retail/mailing list sales.

Unsure why more is on the market, will be keeping mine :)
On the Bedrock Zoom a few weeks back, he said his business was down big time due to restaurant closures. This makes up a major portion of the business. List buyers aren't a big percentage.
Sell us the wines at restaurant wholesale prices and I bet business would uptick?
Funny, I had similar thoughts. If they just cut out all the middle men, it would be more efficient! So many channels.
I'm a Turk

User avatar
David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7788
Joined: August 16th, 2009, 6:03 pm
Location: Maryland

Re: What's wrong with Saxum?

#35 Post by David Glasser » July 22nd, 2020, 5:30 am

Robert M yers wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 8:37 pm
markjchambers wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 11:13 am
I agree with the general sentiment. Since they make so many different wines, taking your full allocation can easily exceed $2K. 10 years ago, my allocation was a case in the Spring and a case in the Fall. Now they have almost doubled the number of different wines they make and my allocation is 3-4 cases per year - way too much. Bedrock and Carlisle and a few others will keep your allocation even if you order less than you are offered, but others will cut you if you don't take everything. I'm not sure where Saxum falls on this spectrum.
Mark nailed it here I think. Nothing wrong, just a lot of $100 wines to go around. it’s ultimately why I stopped buying and Am now trying to sell some, how am I going to drink 150 bottles of Saxum! Good problems of course but the cellar was just getting to one sided.
I went through this about 20 years ago and eventually threw off the shackles of mailing list wines that required ever increasing purchases to stay on the list. It was like going through the Kubler-Ross stages of grief:

Denial
Four cases a year from one producer isn't really that much.

Anger
WTF with these allocations/prices!?!

Bargaining
Emails or calls to ask about skipping just this release. No dice? OK, I'll sell some to stay on the list.

Depression
Crap, I'll never drink all this and if I tried, wouldn't have enough days in the week to drink anything else.

Acceptance
Order what I want. If I'm dropped or lose access to the cherries, that's more money and slots for variety.


User avatar
Mike Reff
Posts: 1309
Joined: June 5th, 2009, 2:51 am
Location: Croton on Hudson NY

Re: What's wrong with Saxum?

#36 Post by Mike Reff » July 22nd, 2020, 5:33 am

I have been on Saxum for seven years after Jay Hack hypnotized me on their wines at a Berserkerfest at Peking Duck House...


I have only bought a smattering of what they offer about 4-6 bottles a year. I am very happy with being allocated each year but hardly take my full allocation.
"My very favorite miserable New Yorker" - Jonathan Sirot
"all you are is a sorry ass little big mouthed punk who thinks he is hot sh*t" - Jonathan Sirot

User avatar
Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 10454
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 2:55 am
Location: in between coastal SC and south FL

Re: What's wrong with Saxum?

#37 Post by Scott Brunson » July 22nd, 2020, 10:29 am

M. Dildine wrote:
July 18th, 2020, 9:43 am
Not much in my mind, I have a '16 G2 tee'd up for this evening.

They are not cheap, but are consistently spectacular.
How was it?
I gave my brother a bottle for his birthday but he has not popped the bottle yet.
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

Nick Gangas
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7622
Joined: August 7th, 2009, 6:27 pm

Re: What's wrong with Saxum?

#38 Post by Nick Gangas » July 22nd, 2020, 10:40 am

I did receive an offer for the first time this year at my restaurant. I assumed because all the expensive fancy pants restaurants were passing due to the Covid. I jumped in with some James Berry for the wine list.

User avatar
M. Dildine
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 22227
Joined: February 8th, 2009, 5:09 pm
Location: Alta California

Re: What's wrong with Saxum?

#39 Post by M. Dildine » July 22nd, 2020, 11:47 am

Scott Brunson wrote:
July 22nd, 2020, 10:29 am
M. Dildine wrote:
July 18th, 2020, 9:43 am
Not much in my mind, I have a '16 G2 tee'd up for this evening.

They are not cheap, but are consistently spectacular.
How was it?
I gave my brother a bottle for his birthday but he has not popped the bottle yet.
Scott, it was outstanding. Distinctive, delicious and absolutely ready to go, IMO.
Cheers,

Mike

User avatar
Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19825
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 6:16 pm
Location: Coos Bay, OR

Re: What's wrong with Saxum?

#40 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » July 22nd, 2020, 12:03 pm

I successfully shared my allocation this past release as I just lost my FT job. Pandemic lead to cessation of elective surgery and that was my death knell.

I have 125-150 in the cellar and this seems the proper amount too.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

markjchambers
Posts: 267
Joined: April 19th, 2019, 6:55 am

Re: What's wrong with Saxum?

#41 Post by markjchambers » July 22nd, 2020, 12:26 pm

David Glasser wrote:
July 22nd, 2020, 5:30 am
Robert M yers wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 8:37 pm
markjchambers wrote:
July 21st, 2020, 11:13 am
I agree with the general sentiment. Since they make so many different wines, taking your full allocation can easily exceed $2K. 10 years ago, my allocation was a case in the Spring and a case in the Fall. Now they have almost doubled the number of different wines they make and my allocation is 3-4 cases per year - way too much. Bedrock and Carlisle and a few others will keep your allocation even if you order less than you are offered, but others will cut you if you don't take everything. I'm not sure where Saxum falls on this spectrum.
Mark nailed it here I think. Nothing wrong, just a lot of $100 wines to go around. it’s ultimately why I stopped buying and Am now trying to sell some, how am I going to drink 150 bottles of Saxum! Good problems of course but the cellar was just getting to one sided.
I went through this about 20 years ago and eventually threw off the shackles of mailing list wines that required ever increasing purchases to stay on the list. It was like going through the Kubler-Ross stages of grief:

Denial
Four cases a year from one producer isn't really that much.

Anger
WTF with these allocations/prices!?!

Bargaining
Emails or calls to ask about skipping just this release. No dice? OK, I'll sell some to stay on the list.

Depression
Crap, I'll never drink all this and if I tried, wouldn't have enough days in the week to drink anything else.

Acceptance
Order what I want. If I'm dropped or lose access to the cherries, that's more money and slots for variety.

Well said. I have gone through the stages with most of my lists. Some, like Alban and Rochioli, dropped me. Some, like Carlisle and Bedrock, seem to be OK with it. The jury is still out on Cayuse. The only lists where I haven't come to the "Acceptance" stage are Saxum and SQN. That is partly because I really like the wines and partly because I can readily find people who want to share my allocation.

User avatar
David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7788
Joined: August 16th, 2009, 6:03 pm
Location: Maryland

Re: What's wrong with Saxum?

#42 Post by David Glasser » July 22nd, 2020, 2:00 pm

Mark, SQN was tough to give up on and was one of the last to go for me. That I fell out of love with ripe Grenache helped. I do miss their Syrah.

Keith Koshk!n
Posts: 42
Joined: January 13th, 2019, 9:04 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: What's wrong with Saxum?

#43 Post by Keith Koshk!n » July 30th, 2020, 8:44 am

I just got an email from Saxum letting me know that I'd be moving from the waiting list and to the major leagues for the August release. Looking back at my old emails, apparently that was a six-year wait.

What should be expected from the release in a few weeks?

M@tt G.
Posts: 173
Joined: December 9th, 2015, 2:10 pm
Location: South OC

Re: What's wrong with Saxum?

#44 Post by M@tt G. » July 30th, 2020, 9:34 am

I got an email this morning also. Signed up February 2015.
G3y3r

User avatar
Jeff_M.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 822
Joined: July 18th, 2019, 7:39 am
Location: SoCal

Re: What's wrong with Saxum?

#45 Post by Jeff_M. » July 30th, 2020, 9:51 am

Keith Koshk!n wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 8:44 am
I just got an email from Saxum letting me know that I'd be moving from the waiting list and to the major leagues for the August release. Looking back at my old emails, apparently that was a six-year wait.

What should be expected from the release in a few weeks?
Best guess, anything they didn't sell from this last release and anything they have held back to sell for people newly added to the list. Gotta have something good to offer folks who've waited years for a chance to buy.
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates
2007 Yangarra Estate High Sands Grenache
1986 Spottswoode Cabernet
2012 Hartford Court Arrendell Vineyard Pinot Noir

User avatar
Rory K.
Posts: 428
Joined: January 9th, 2017, 7:19 pm
Location: Los Angeles, California

Re: What's wrong with Saxum?

#46 Post by Rory K. » July 30th, 2020, 11:51 am

I just got the notice too that I was going to get an allocation in August... I forgot I was on the wait-list. My email records indicate I've been on since 2014. I guess now I have to decide if I want to plunk down that kind of money
K i n n e a r

ITB

User avatar
Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3890
Joined: March 12th, 2013, 7:32 am

Re: What's wrong with Saxum?

#47 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » July 30th, 2020, 12:28 pm

I just received an offer as well. Looks like I first signed up in February of 2013!

I was offered the 2017 Hexe and 2018 Broken Stones. I know nothing of these wines and have moved mostly to European wines, but I may have to give these a try given all the high praise.

Steve Crawford
Posts: 1956
Joined: August 28th, 2013, 3:29 pm
Location: NC

Re: What's wrong with Saxum?

#48 Post by Steve Crawford » July 30th, 2020, 12:57 pm

Signed up 8/13, got my first allocation. Have bought second hand since 2013.
When saxum invites me to buy their wine you know they’ve jumped the shark.

User avatar
Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 10454
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 2:55 am
Location: in between coastal SC and south FL

Re: What's wrong with Saxum?

#49 Post by Scott Brunson » July 30th, 2020, 1:37 pm

Jeff_M. wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 9:51 am
Keith Koshk!n wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 8:44 am
I just got an email from Saxum letting me know that I'd be moving from the waiting list and to the major leagues for the August release. Looking back at my old emails, apparently that was a six-year wait.

What should be expected from the release in a few weeks?
Best guess, anything they didn't sell from this last release and anything they have held back to sell for people newly added to the list. Gotta have something good to offer folks who've waited years for a chance to buy.
I didn’t take my Hexe or mags so have at them. [cheers.gif]
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

User avatar
larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 8416
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 9:26 am
Location: Santa Ynez Valley, CA

Re: What's wrong with Saxum?

#50 Post by larry schaffer » July 30th, 2020, 3:09 pm

So hypothesizing, do you think Justin is making more wine and therefore increasing the total number of folks on the mailing list? Or do you think folks are dropping off, opening up spaces?

Cheers.
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”