Are there any good, lower alcohol Zinfindel producers out there?

My wife and I have been drinking and enjoying Carlisle Zins for years. Unfortunately as we get older it seems our tolerance for alcohol is decreasing. It’s not necessarily we don’t like the wines, it’s our bodies just can’t process all that alcohol as quickly as before. Neither of us sleep very well after drinking a bottle much over 13.5%. It’s not just Carlisle, higher alcohol Pinots and Cabs have the same effect.

Carlisle has been pretty much our exclusive source for Zinfandel, but looking at the latest release all their Zins were coming in at 15% plus. Regretfully I just had to pass, and am now looking for an alternative winery that can deliver great Zinfandel taste, but at at lower alcohol. Are there any such producers out there? All suggestions welcome!

Drink what you like, but less so.

There’s some good recent discussions here

Super helpful, Victor.

I’ve really started to like Bucklin and their Zins and blends. I just tried to go their site and it’s not working, but I’d be surprised if they were high-proof. I also think the ancient vines are really cool. I dig their Grenache as well.

I will admit to having dropped an ice cube in a tepid glass of Carlisle Monte Rosso… with the result being quite delicious. blush

OK. He instead should drink more, and give up sleep.

Nalle winery zinfandel’s from dry creek valley are in the mid 13% range. They’ve been making zins for over 30 years.

You’re asking the winemaker to water back. You could just do it yourself.

Red and Green, of Chiles Valley.

Victor, some of us don’t have the willpower you do! :slight_smile: [cheers.gif]

Dashe does some things that are lower octane.

Thanks for the link.

Isn’t low alcohol Zinfandel an oxymoron? [stirthepothal.gif]

Thank you, it must be 20 years since we last drank a Nalle. I will check them out.

Now this is a real suggestion, thank you Victor.

Arnot-Roberts makes a Kirchenmann Zin that I believe is around 13%. Scherrer Zins (especially Shale Terrace) are in the low 14s, I believe.

Thanks David, will check them out.

Thanks Mike, I’m on the A-R list, why didn’t I think of that? :slight_smile:

La Clarine
Broc “Vine Starr”
Forlorn Hope (carbonic Zin)
Haarmeyer
Cabot

Ridge