Has KLWM Lost Their Collective Minds?

This Coche ‘17 release pricing is beyond absurd! $5,500 for ‘14 Corton Charlemagne and $2,750 for a ‘17 Hospice Corton rouge bottling.

Raveneau '17 release pricing is no better. $275 for Butteaux when the ex-cellar price is still only ~€30.

Maybe you get 10 shares of Tesla stock with each purchase and they forgot to mention it?

Edited to include Raveneau pricing.

I wonder how much of that is tariff.

I tend to find Kermit Lynch pricing pretty absurd, from bottom to top.

My understanding is that Corton Charlemagne ex-cellar is under $500/bottle, so 25% tariff would represent no more than $125.

For context, they’re asking $850 for the ‘17 Enseigneres and I have a friend who bought that bottle at a merchant in Europe for 90 euros (implying that the ex-cellar on that is 40-50 euros max)

My guess is that he is paying a fraction of that. It is a cash cow, and I suspect pays for other parts of his business.

Received some additional info that one of Coche’s agents was selling 2014 Corton Charlemagne for 1,250 euro and 2017 Hospice Corton Rouge for 350 euros wholesale…so again domaine pricing would be substantially lower.

Is that Kermit Lynch or K&L? assuming the former.

Kermit Lynch direct pricing

If you want to vomit in your mouth read their IG post from two days ago about burgundy prices.

If they can find buyers, then I’d argue, no, they’re not out of their minds. I also suspect that they have some experience in reading the market and demand (to be clear, that last part is sarcastic).

Then again, New Coke…

That feels like a purposefully timed post…”hey we’re about to be super greedy with Coche pricing, let’s preemptively explain that away”. I noticed the post had 279 likes, were all of those likes by Martin Shkreli from prison?

In the last 7 years the favorable on release price for Coche CC has increased ~650% (based on this $5,500 price) and DRC La Tache has increased ~67% over the same time period (again, the favorable first tranche pricing). Plenty of importers could raise their price on other marquee domaines to extract the last possible penny, but it screws over long term buyers and pisses people off. I get it if Coche is raising the price, but from everything I’ve heard, that’s not what’s happening.

Well, if you’re struggling to shell out $60,000 for a nice case (after case discount) I guess it’s time to admit you just can’t AFFORD Coche Corton Charlemagne :wink:!!

[truce.gif]

Buy a case of Viré-Clessé and a box of wooden matches, problem solved.

Burgundy has fallen off the deep end price-wise. There’s plenty of other great wine out there and always more to discover. Perhaps pull an Ivanka and “Find something new”.

champagne.gif

New? You have a substitute for GC burgundy?

We can debate whether burgundy prices are crazy all day long, but clearly the winner of greedy pricing goes to Kermit Lynch. I think KLWM can still survive without making 11x+ their cost on Coche CC. My understanding is no other importer is asking to make anywhere near that kind of margin, including the importers of DRC, Leroy, Rousseau, etc.

Why should Kermit Lynch subsidize your purchase of $5,000 wine below its market value? Why’s he greedy for asking market price, but you’re not greedy for wanting it below market price? Seems to me it was the old practice of selling it cheap and letting his customers make a quick buck flipping that belongs in the “losing his mind” category.

So, you are suggesting that KLWM customers have lost their collective minds. I can go along with that. It works for the Kosta Brown question equally well. Kind of a Tulip Mania, with way too much money sloshing around to feed it.

Why should Coche sell it to KL for 500 euros or less—seems they’re subsidizing KL’s greed. I have so much to say in response to this ridiculous post, but instead, I’m going to go scream into my pillow