Article on Valtelline Wines

Really excellent article by KevinDay (who he?) on Valtelline and their wines:

The photos are breathtaking. He highlights most of primo producers. He (rightfully so) places NinoNegri as wallowing in mediocrity.

He decries the lack of white wines in the Valtelline, rightfully so. Actually, Balgera (OliverMcCrum Imprts) thinks they have identified a Nebbiolo Bianco they are propagating. Another of my favorite producers.

About a 20 min read on one of my favorite areas of Italy. Truly heroic viticulture.
Tom

Thanks, Tom, this is a really nice article, proper mix of facts and enthusiasm for these wonderful wines.

I’m a huge fan of valtellina; mostly arpepe, but like others as well.

Yup, Michael… ArPePe are some of the best. On the pricey side, but worth it compared to B/B.
Tom

Really good article…thanks for sharing. Recently purchased my first bottle from Valtellina, an ArPePe Rosso di Valtellina. May have to try it this weekend and search out a Valtellina Surperior.

Those pictures are breathtaking. I am speechless. I need to go and find the wines!

Any recommendation for what to get from Arpepe’s line-up?

Rocce rosse, ultimi raggi

I would say that it’s hard go to wrong there. Warmer vintages of the Rosso di Valtellina are a very good drink but the 2007 Buon Consiglio and Vigna Regina that I had last year where both fantastic, although the latter was way more primary and in need of time in the cellar. If I am not mistaken Buon Consiglio had seen 4 years of wood (old) and Vigna Regina 4 years of cement.

Thanks, I might go with a 2015 Pettirosso Valtellina Superiore as introduction before trying the 2009 Buon Consiglio. They have a very interesting ageing regime and I find it fascinating that they release wines from the same vineyards but adjust the appellation level regarding to vintage. Imagine that in Burgundy!

Interesting for sure. My guess would be that Pettirosso will be quite different than Buon Consiglio so if you like it, good, but if you are not blown away by it it is still worth it to try the Riservas. I was blinded with the 2012 Stella Retica some time ago and it was a lot lighter and simpler wine than those 2007 Riservas, although a good drink nevertheless.

At the risk of incurring the wrath of Tom Hill, who seems to have made it a lifelong mission to praise any Nebbiolo-based wine NOT made in Barolo or Barbaresco, the problem with the ArPePe wines, at least here in the states, is their pricing. I think the wines are fine, and have enjoyed them on numerous occasions in the past. But when the Riservas like Buon Consiglio are running $90 a bottle and the Produttori Rabaja is still available at $60, the math gets a little difficult.

Hard to argue with that. In Europe it is pretty much a similar situation. I’ve bought some (the Riservas) at sub-40 € prices with good luck but generally they tend to be 50-70 €, sometimes more. Unique, fascinating wines without a doubt, but indeed there are many worthy options out there, also in Barolo.