TN: 2014 Joh. Jos. Prüm Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese

2014 Joh. Jos. Prüm Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese

Light, fresh, elegant, pure&precise and the famous slate. Of course young, but in a good way. Really a great joy to drink right now and enough acidity and dense fruit to guarantee a long Life.

Do your a favor and open a bottle tonight, it will make you happy.

93/100

43F60257-84E4-43F4-9DFF-3178F93FA7F5.jpeg

P.S. the colour says all…

EAB6854B-3697-42A8-AF26-B2C7CC5C767D.jpeg

I have to admit that I rarely ever drink a Prum this young. 2014 isn’t a vintage that I planned on keeping long term though, so why not!

Really tough generalisation
Many great MSR wines in 2014. E.g. from Julian Haart
Prüm Spätlese usually shines in cooler vintages like 2014 and 2017
And 2004 also Auslese
https://www.instagram.com/p/CCtiYCMJycl/?igshid=mc8foiqcsjbd

I am not suggesting in any way that the wines are substandard. It’s just with 200+ bottles of Prum in the cellar it’s not a great sacrifice to open a 2014 early.

The acidity is huge and I think it will age well.

We shall see. Probably not digging one out until fall though. Lots of other stuff to work through.

Edit: I just dug one out. Maybe have it next weekend.

I’m still holding on to my mixed case of '15 JJ Prum GH Auslese/Spatlese/Kabinett for at least 5+ years. Such a great producer and vintage.

Same. David posted recently on the 2015 GH Kabi, very shut down right now.

Just opened the bottle. It is very good. The acidity is quite vibrant, but there’s plenty of extract and sweetness for balance. Will wait until later for a full evaluation.

Sampled with dinner, and it is fun and fresh. There’s a bit of a watery note in the mid-palate, but the wine finishes strong. There is a very inviting lime zest note on the finish.

Whoops…color me a bad reader. I opened the Wehlener. Should have worn my glasses. I do that too often.