TN: 1998 Domaine Duclaux (Famille Quiot) Châteauneuf-du-Pape

• 1998 Domaine Duclaux (Famille Quiot) Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (7/17/2020)
    [Tasted Double Blind] Pours fairly light in the glass, transparent, pale garnet with medium bricking. The nose is immediately appealing and rustic, undoubtedly some brett which added rather than detracted. As it opens in the glass the brett subsides and a wonderful array of secondary and tertiary aromas blast from the glass. Seared pork, cured meat, shrubby herbs, dried mixed berries, dried orange peel, leather, and pipe tobacco round out the complex nose. The palate is appealing, though just starting to show signs of tiring. It enters on sweet red fruit, with elevated acid and very little tannin. A fair bit of leather shows up on the long finish. All in all a wonderful wine, drinking fabulously today. A case study in traditionally styled Châteauneuf-du-Pape. After tasting double blind I guessed traditionally styled '98 Châteauneuf-du-Pape. Not bad! (93 pts.)

Obviously I quite enjoyed this wine but had never even heard of the producer. I tried searching here for more information but only found Duclaux Cote Rotie, which appears to be unrelated. Looked on wine-searcher too see if I could find any, and there doesn’t appear to be a ton of it in North America. I’m mostly curious to see what folks opinion is of the producer and if they’ve remained this traditionally styled with their current releases.

I’ve only had the Cote Rotie and it must have been a long time ago, maybe the 99 or 03?

I may be mistaken, but I believe that the Cote Rotie guy is a completely different entity from the CdP guy.

I haven’t had the wines, but according to the interwebs, They are the same family that owns Vieux Lazaret and some other properties (but not the Duclaux in the NR). Some info here:

http://www.drinkrhone.com/wines/Châteauneuf-du-Pape/DOMAINE%20DUCLAUX/

And here:

http://www.famillequiot.com/index.php?entrer=1&langue=en

WTSO had the 2012 Domaine Duclaux (Famille Quiot) Châteauneuf-du-Pape for $20. I initially bought 3 and then made a couple more purchases such that I bought 18 bottles in total, but 2 bottles ended up being 2012 Jérôme Quiot Châteauneuf-du-Pape Les Gemarelles. I’m holding 9 bottles now, plus the Gemarelles, because the last bottle opened made me think it was in a dumb phase. I’ve scored this wine 89-91 points, and hoping that it improves with age.

Thanks for the pointers. Doesn’t really give me a lot of confidence they’re still being made in this style.