TN: 2012 West of Temperance Aglianico (USA, California)

• 2012 West of Temperance Aglianico - USA, California (7/16/2020)
    Slightly shy nose. Somewhere between deep and light colored, similar to a Grenache in hue. There’s a slight spicy, peppery note on the palate. Nothing is out of line, just pure elegance all the way through. Very enjoyable. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

So ready to go now? I generally think Aglianico needs at least a decade but that’s based largely on taurasi and not sure how to translate that to other regions.

I though it drank beautifully now, but I’ve not had much experience with this grape and don’t know how long it can go. It was very elegant and well balanced.

Liked the ‘12 and ‘13, loved the ‘14. These guys have Cali Aglianico nailed down.

How many California Aglianico wines have you tried? It’s not easy to find. I only have this and Hobo and plan to eventually try the Ryme. I may have had the Terra d’oro but honestly don’t recall.

Yes, it’s a hard to find in California and the ones I have had never seemed to match the Italian versions, but these WoT wines have captured some of the old world while being a bit rounder and definitely more approachable in the short term.

I really enjoyed the Unti Aglianico. I’ve not come across WoT before but will definitely give them a go, thanks for the note!