BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

Re: The way too early look at 2020 in Willamette Valley

#51 Post by Jim Anderson » July 31st, 2020, 1:50 pm

Brian Glas wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 12:03 pm
R M Kriete wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 11:58 am
Why is this thread giving me the urge to watch the PGA Championship next week?
LOL I would rather watch a round of golf between Marcus, Jim, Todd, and Vincent.
Back in the day of less winemaking I could play a little bit. Usually broke 90 (shot 91 at Pacific Dunes once and was pretty happy with that) and had a birdie putt on 18 once to shoot 79, but I not only missed it I 3-putted. Not sure what my golf game would look like these days. I know my drinking game is strong.
Co-owner, Patricia Green Cellars

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

Re: The way too early look at 2020 in Willamette Valley

#52 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » July 31st, 2020, 9:40 pm

Richard T r i m p i wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 1:49 pm
Marcus Goodfellow wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 11:28 am
Rich...I’m a bit frustrated as I spent half an hour answering you, hit save draft to tale my three year old to the potty and now can’t get the draft. It’s not showing in the “manage drafts” tab at all.
Oof! Thanks for your thoughts.

I know and appreciate that you and others are increasingly focused on honing your skills in the vineyard and making your wines long before there's anything close to harvest-ready grapes. IIRC, back in 2007 there was still a lot of economic tugging towards riper styles. A recipe for agita in that vintage.

I'm still a big fan of 2007....but there were lots of missed putts. As a dramatic change of pace, many producers were subsequently overjoyed with 2008. A vintage that Bob Wood claimed his dog could make great wines from. It's taken a long time (and still waiting) to figure out which producers made par or birdies on that one.

RT
There were quite a few misses in 2007. But even then, there were quite a few new producers, short on experience(including myself) and a lot of bigger producers have to ferment in waves, emptying a finished ferment in order to fill it again. That makes picking optimally a big challenge.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Return to “Wine Talk”