Premox Update - Chablis Edition

Pulled a couple of older chablis to have around the house to drink over the last week.

Sadly, both were oxidized – 2005 Dauvissat Vaillons and 2004 Fevre Fourchaume.

The last bottle of each wine in my cellar.

[cry.gif]

Sorry to hear.

While on the topic, I can add a few positive data points. I opened three 2011 Fevre Grand Crus - Vaudesir, Preuses, and Clos this past weekend for some friends. They were all excellent. Still fresh, youthful, and structured. Lots of life left in them and no signs of premature aging. As good as they were, I’d even say they were too young, or I’d prefer them with some more age at least. The Vaudesir was probably the most ready.

Also, not Chablis, but we opened a 2011 Bouchard Corton Charlemagne which was also excellent. Bigger, richer, and showier than the Chablis, but also fresh and full of life.

All Diam.

Dauvissat '08’s are problematic. Foret last week was flat as a biscuit.

I drank a 08’ Le Clos from Dauvisssat a while back and it was perfect. I think a lot of premox is more of a storage issue

Not. My storage is perfect, and bottles purchased when they arrived from the Dauvisat distributor. It’s a premox issue, with all the factors that play into the phenomenon of premox. Imperfect storage is a possible factor, but one of the lesser issues.

Didn’t Fevre move to Diam corks in 2008 or so? I’ve had several 2009 Fevre Fourchames that all drank very well.

I like to think my storage is amazing – under 55 degrees, all bottles bought on release from a very reputable retailer in Austin.

Mostly, I’ve been very lucky on the premox front with few bottles having succumbed. I just hit the Exacta with those two bottles.

(knock on wood that the problem isn’t lurking in my cellar with the other Chablis/White burgs I have left)

Craig,

Sent an '08 Clos back at a restaurant in Burgundy two years ago. Their cellar is perfect and are close to the source.

Cheers
Jeremy

Had the 2011 Fevre Prueses today and had a similar take. Was hoping the 2011 would be much further along the development curve. Do wines under Diam eventually reach full maturity you just have to wait longer?

I haven’t found DIAM to slow aging. It’s just more consistent.

I like that! Maybe I should have said much less mature than all of the 2011 Dauvissat I have had, which hasn’t shown very well for the vintage. Need to find more Fevre!

Slow ageing isn’t a negative. Inconsistent ageing is because you never know where a bottle will be when you open it.

Article on premox Solving the premox problem: Olivier Lamy | FINE+RARE

2 Likes

I found this article quite interesting. I note that a recent purchase of Chablis from Pattes Loup was under a waxed capsule (lovely wine by the way). Jim

Julien Brocard also using wax.