TN: 2018 Sandlands Red Table Wine (USA, California, Central Valley, Lodi)

• 2018 Sandlands Red Table Wine - USA, California, Central Valley, Lodi (7/10/2020)
    Fascinating wine that transformed from a relatively simple, fruity quaff to a spicy, fruity, earthy combination over the course of two hours. Drink it too fast, and it could be easily dismissed. Only one bottle left to age, but I will try to exercise patience, as it seems a promising beginning.

Posted from CellarTracker

Yup drank my two already! [drinkers.gif] Fun and tasty stuff! Cracked the Merlot for tonight…

Thanks for the note. I still haven’t cracked open my 2017s so will have to dig some out of storage.

I don’t know where I stashed my 2017s. So they are safe for now.

Just in case there is confusion the 2017 and 2018 are completely different wines. Below is copied from the release e-mails for each.

2018 Lodi Red Table Wine – 8 barrels produced.
An intentional blend of three varieties and three vineyards in three equal parts, this wine is composed of Cinsault from the Bechthold Vineyard (1886), Carignane from Spenker Ranch (1900) and Zinfandel from Kirschenmann Vineyard (1915), our home ranch in Victor.
Black tea, violets, red cherry. Crisp, silky finish. 13.3% alc.

2017 Red Table Wine – Contra Costa County – 12 barrels produced.
The vineyard was planted in the 1920s in what is classified as Dehli blow sand (decomposed granite that has been deposited by wind and water).
India ink, cranberry, ripe peach, cranberry, chalky, structured tannins.
12.9% alc.
Our 2017 Contra Costa County Red Table Wine will feel familiar to you as it is a blend of 65% Carignane and 35% Mataro from the same vineyard in Contra Costa that which we have made wine since 2010.

Well at least now I know why I cannot find my 2017. I bought it, but never put it in inventory.

Same - which adds to my joy of a second Sandlands release this year (at least that was the plan at the first release I thought)

Jerk
Now you made me look up where I stashed mine. [wink.gif]
(Thanks for the note)
[cheers.gif]

I figured out where I stashed my 2017s. I will need a backhoe and a team of stevedores to get to them.

#offline

David-
Thank you for the note. 2018 was our first shot at making this wine. The Red table wines are meant to be representative of the old vines of the regions they come from. Lodi RTW is a wine that I plan to make as one of the cornerstones of Sandlands, in 2019 it will be our largest production wine we have made at 350 cases. The plan is to make this wine with the same percentages from the same vineyards year in tear out showcasing the three red varieties that Lodi was once known for- Zinfandel, Carignane and Cinsault. I believe the 2018 can be drunk now but I also can’t wait to see it 10+ years from now.

1 Like

Thanks Tegan. Looking forward to following this wine across vintages.

I opened one of these last night after opening a 2012 Cayuse Camaspelo. I found it rather pleasant though my wife was not s pleased after the Cayuse. I think she would have liked it more of it had been the first wine of the night.
Unfortunately I only bought one bottle, I will try to stock up a little more with the 2019.

Had the 2019 last night and it was wonderful. Left a little bit for today and it showed equally strong 24 hrs later.