TN: 2014 Domaine de la Pépière (Marc Ollivier) Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine Clisson

• 2014 Domaine de la Pépière (Marc Ollivier) Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine Clisson - France, Loire Valley, Pays Nantais, Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine (7/9/2020)
    Oyster shell and stones on the nose. Steely and focused on the palate, with more briny oyster shell, lemon pith, asian pear, and subtle florals, This is chiseled and deep, but with a tactile breadth and extract coupled with this focus and precision that is wonderful contrast. This is more about soil and acid than fruit, and is delicious. Power and elegance. Mouthwatering and refreshing, yet long and though provoking. Like licking rocks. Delicious. Drinking at peak with plenty of time in hand 92 (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

and such a bargain.

Fantastic wine and incredible value. Glad to see it getting some love.

Nice note. Never had a Clisson, but by coincidence I am planning to open one of my two bottles of 2014 Clos des Briords. Your note suggests that 2014 was a good vintage for Muscadet and that is encouraging. Thanks.

I’ve been drinking a 2014 Clos des Briords over the last couple of days. It is delicious. I love the brine, oyster shell, and rain on hot summer pavement minerality. Such a great vintage for Pepiere. For some stupid reason I don’t recall, I skipped the Clisson in 2014.

There was a lot on heritage auctions last night, mixed with some Closel Savennieres. Went for a song.

I don’t recall having had the 2014 Clisson, myself. Good to see the breadth of Domaine de la Pépière’s impressive wines in this vintage.

I’ve had a few times, and still have more in storage, the very good 2014 Briords.

Glad you enjoyed Todd! It seemed that nebbiolo rose you started with was underwhelming. It’s good to bury a few of these away and explore how they’ve developed after a decade or more, but that takes some discipline!

I loved the '14 Clisson on release. I never put any away. Not surprised that it’s coming along well. I prefer this bottling to Briords by a good margin.

Good to hear. I opened a 2012 Clisson last week after an exceptional showing by a 2012 Briords but the Clisson was very disappointing. Quite heavy, reminded me of the rougher sort of orange wines.

Any thoughts on how this compares to the Clos des Morines? I have a few of those. Loved the '14 Briords.