Pinot Noir in the Loire?

Question for the Loire freaks:

Which producers make the most compelling versions? And what qualities make them stand out?

I haven’t tried one in years. I recall them being somewhat grapey. Have things changed? TIA.

Lucien Crochet’s “Le Croix du Roy” can be excellent. I was introduced to it when a friend brought a bottle of Sancerre to serve blind and was flabbergasted when he pulled the cork and found it was red. The '13 he served was light-bodied but full of terrific fruit flavor. I tracked down some and bought a bunch.

When I went looking for even more, Dan Posner at Grapes recommended the Saint-Pourcain “Intrepide” from Dom. Des Bérioles (Jean Tessedre), at less than $15. Tessedre took over a family property a decade or so ago. As I recall, they’d previously sold off the fruit. The '12 was very good, though a bit overoaked. The importer’s website indicates he’s scaled back the new oak, which would be a good thing. Still, it was a lovely wine, and I need to track down some more recent vintages. Again, it’s in a lighter-bodied style, but it’s not short on fruit or flavor.

I’m sorry I didn’t lay in more of both for summer drinking.

I find a lot of reds from Sancerre specifically rather anemic and occasionally insipid, but we served Domaine Hippolyte-Reverdy’s Sancerre Rouge BTG for awhile and it was achingly delicate and fragile.

Domaine Vacheron makes a pretty good one, too, and a bit more “deep” and “serious”.

Agree, Vacheron rouge can be very good. We have sampled the entry level rouge and also a 2015 Belle Dame (cuvee of 50 year old vines from mostly flinty soil) which was purchased at the winery. The Belle Dame was superb.

Pinard makes a good rouge also.

Cheers,
Doug

I’ve had some rather decent ones from Alphonse Mellot (Sancerre) and Henry Pellé (Menetou Salon). Fruit forward and food friendly wines of nice freshness that probably should not be compared to Burgundy all that much.

Another vote for Vacheron

Vacheron here too. They’re the best I’ve had. I never bought because of the price, but with Burgundy pricing these days, Vacheron is now looking pretty appealing.

Not from Sancerre is Domaine de l’Ecu’s “Ange” bottling, which has been really great when I’ve had it!

Historically Sancerre was almost exclusively Pinot Noir, I think, and I would imagine we will see more and more of it again in the future as things get warmer.

I always find it fascinating how many people look for value Pinot all over the world but not the Cotes Chalonnaise.

As for the immediate question, the best Rose I have had was a Sancerre from Cotat.

Not everyone, Howard [cheers.gif] . I used to sell De Villaine, and love those wines. Which other producers do you like that make a similarly pure style?

I’m not Howard and don’t know about purity per se but the François Raquillet and François Lumpp wines I’ve enjoyed in the past few months have been elegant and utterly delicious.

I always find it fascinating how people like to thread drift. [wink.gif]

Might add Boulay Oriane to Vacheron.

I have not had that much red wine from De Villaine (and of course wish I could afford more wine from his “other” estate), but have really loved the whites from him that I have had. So, I cannot say that the styles are similar, but I have enjoyed wines I have had from Domaine des Moirots and Juillot. http://www.weygandtmetzler.com/all

Don’t I get points for discussing Cotat??? I mean, it is the only producer I discussed in this post and I am the first person to mention Cotat in this thread.

You mention the rosé, but did you ever have the Cotat reds? They can be pretty nice, too.

I’m teasing you Howard. I do it too sometimes. When someone posts and asks what bottle of wine to serve with spicy Thai crab stew and I say Singha beer.

I have had many good pinots from Chalonnaise too but I was specifically curious about the Loire.

And I do agree with you about Cotat. After Provence, Sancerre makes the best rose in the world IMO.

I have not. I would like to try them sometime. I probably would have tried this already if this was a high production wine and easy to find. But, I guess if I have to search far and wide for a pinot, it almost always will be a Burgundy.

I also vote for Vincent Pinard and Vacheron (both mentioned earlier)…And don’t forget Alphonse Mellot !

Both Christian Venier and Clos du Tue-Boeuf makes excellent pinot noir wines, including blended with gamay. Highly recommended them if you can get hold of them, especially in the less extreme warm vintages.

While not for this post but their white wines are very good as well.