California Cult

I recently had my very first experience with the so called ‘Cali Cult’ cab in 2007 Bond St. Eden. It was good, but bit oaky and too rich/jammy for me to justify the price tag. I actually preferred the taste of my usual go to California cabs like Mondavi Reserves and Heitz. This got me thinking-how are other so called cults compare to Bond? Ones that I’m curious to know are Colgin, Dana Estates, Schrader, Maybach, Scarecrow, and MacDonald as I’ve been wanting to try them as well. Thanks all!

most are big wines

They all suck don’t waste your money.

Overpriced, over-ripe, over-extracted, over-oaked, over-everything. The only thing lacking about them is the subtlety.

macdonald does not belong in that grouping

1 Like

Nor Piper.

I am not sure who else is on the cult list in order to discuss further.

Spottswoode is great, is it a cult wine?

I wouldn’t call it a cult wine. While some of these ‘cult’ wineries now have a track record going on 30 years, I wouldn’t classify any winery created in the 80’s as ‘cult.’

2007 was a ripe vintage, so that probably wasn’t the best example of Bond or any of the other wines. I’d suggest you try a 2010 or 2011 so you can reach your own conclusions.

MacDonald is definitely a different beast, in a good way. I find it to be one of the few wines that can make both Napa lovers and Napa haters happy. Also VHR, Beta, and Abreu.

Abreu and Araujo-era Eisele wines are worth the tariff.

I adore Spottswoode and Piper (admittedly not a long history with Roy, but thus far blown away).

MACDONALD does not belong in that group, nor does some of the older Colgin. The 2007 vintage was made for Parker, hence the high and not warranted regard. The dude gargled with Mega-Purple.
If you get a chance, get hold of some Bryants from the early 2000s. I recommend the 2002. Spottswoode with some age and correct handling could be amazing.
The term ‘Cult’ is a trigger, as seen a few posts above. There are some truly other-worldly wines out there, one just needs to find them.
There is always…Pavie. lol (right Brent?) newhere

1 Like

They are great expressions of real-estate terroir.

+1

I don’t know, Great, but gotten very pricey for me. [scratch.gif]

Yes
I am also a big fan of Scarecrow—big but with depth and elegance.

is there a rough in/out of California Cult? I would have guessed they are:
Screaming Eagle
Harlan
Scarecrow
Bryant
Schrader
Colgin?
Macdonald?
Abreu?

Interesting that I actually had this conversation with a respected California Cabernet winemaker today. He thinks there’s only one “cult” cab left, Screagle. There are lots of expensive wines, but none left that are cult status.

1 Like

That sounds sensible.

You want a lean Cab, check out Ceritas. But a cult in another way, I suppose. [wink.gif]

That’s good to know. Do you think that’s the case for other ripe vintages? Or more so that their style changed because of way Parker rated them? Would be interested to know how 07 compares to say 12 and 13.