A Happy 4th of July - TN: 09 Shafer Hillside & 01 Harlan Estate

Will any of you on the Board be commemorating Independence Day on the Board today, at least those who normally do so? I will and will be drinking some big Napa cabs: a 2009 Hillside Select and a 2001 Harlan Estate with steak and fries.

This is an extraordinary time and many feel little reason to celebrate. I love this country so I will celebrate this evening even though we are in such a funk. I acknowledge that we have an ongoing history of sins and transgression that should not be defended. But I also recognize the good things in our history as well. I pray we find a way to unify, show kindness for one another especially to those in deep need, and show each other some patience and grace.

EDITED - Tasting notes added:

2001 Harlan Estate: Decanted for two-plus hours; dark, dark red with a nose of plum and coffee; taste added red berries, and some chocolate, so the overall flavor was more of a cherry mocha. A lot of fruit but not heavy-handed. Became more integrated and balanced in the glass. Some minerals in the superb finish. For me, Claret-like.

2009 Shafer Estate - Decanted for three hours; nose of lovely, deep purple color, blackberry, and raspberry. Taste added some vanilla, and a bit of herbs, finish was a little disjointed. The parts were good; the whole was less than the parts. This was a good bottle but did not compare well to the Harlan.

We finished the Harlan and saved the remainder of the Shafer for tomorrow. The Harlan started and finished in a terrific spot; delicious.

Great post. I feel the same.

To celebrate:
2013 Ultramarine Blanc Noir
2010 Aubert Lauren
2004 Meo Canuzet Nuits Murgers (Freedom without the French help?)

With a small outdoor group! God Bless (and help) America

Going with Zinfandel. Marinelli Jackass Hill. Irony intended

Scherrer '18 OMV and Once & Future '17 Franks Block. Both (as expected) excellent!

‘13 Williams Selyem Estate Mag
‘18 Limerick Lane RRV
‘08 Keating Montecillo Cab

Burgers, Hot Dogs and Flannery Hot Smoked Beer Sausages.