Becheur 2018 Cabernet

I got a case of this…

Anyone else?

Yep. In for a case. Michael has not disappointed yet.

1 Like

Any idea on the source for this? Description sounds like Vine Hill Ranch.

Just ordered a six-pack (to complement the six-pack of PN I ordered yesterday). I’ve had five different cuvées or vintages of his wines so far. Really liked them all. Subtle but interesting.

How can you go wrong with Terrien? I ended up with 6 bottles at $13 each/free shipping/no tax. Oakville 2018 Cabernet; no brainer. I was expecting a higher price to start as he did with the previous offer. By the time I was finishing stumbling and bumbling–trying to create an account when I already had one–the price had gone from $2 to $13. Still, amazing. Can hardly wait to see what’s next. Becheur and de Negoce: Is this heaven?

I had same account issues. I just used a different email address and got it at $3/bottle champagne.gif

I’ve bought all the Terrien stuff except the last Pinot cause I’m not a huge Pinot drinker and price never got to my liking for something blind. I’m guessing this Cab is worth 30/bottle at least prob 40. I’d have paid up to 30.

Agree, between Terrien and de Negoce I’m going to save a lot of money the next 12 months.

Matthew-I hear you brother, but I’m thinking this Cab is more like $100 in the inflated Napa universe.

For sure. I didn’t mean retail 30/40. Meant great QPR at 30/40.

Happy I bought. If I’m not crazy about them-gifts!

What controls the price? Up to north of $30 a bottle.

I think the public and ultimately him.

The first page states:

Dynamic pricing: airlines and hotels use it to fill seats and beds, but why not wineries? Dynamic pricing lowers the price you pay by reducing sales costs for us.

So here’s how it works: the price goes up or down with demand. If the price is higher than you like then name your price and you’ll receive a token if it drops to your desired price. The token works for 24 hours and as long as inventory holds out, you may want to wait and submit an even lower price.

Once the wine sells out, if you paid more than the average you will receive a coupon for the difference. For example, if you bought 6 bottles at $40 and the average price ends up being $20, you will get a coupon for $120.

The first Chardonnay’s price graph was similar to the current one; early bird gets the worm ( < $8, the first 5 cases was sold for under that amount) then the price went up as people purchased. Ultimately the price will come down if people stop buying but up to a certain point I think. The 2nd Offer, a PN was sold high and then gradually went down and normalized as he said the site crashed with people trying to get the worm early.

Just to emphasize the point made above: if you pay above the average price, you get a credit for your next purchase for the difference between what you paid and the average price.

From the website: “Once the wine sells out, if you paid more than the average you will receive a coupon for the difference. For example, if you bought 6 bottles at $40 and the average price ends up being $20, you will get a coupon for $120.”

You think this one will be better than the de Negoce ones? With current pricing at $35 and average at $25, its a fair bit more than the OG series of cabs. Curious your thoughts on it, as I’m still on the fence.

Feels like this offering in particular is a higher end wine. Small number of cases. I have more confidence this will be amazing than any of the single de negoce’s. He is procuring dozens of wines. This is more limited and much smaller in scope.

Seems like could be this but they haven’t even released 2017 yet so not sure how they’d be dumping 2018 barrels.

Fits a lot of what he said. West of 29, nice family owns it, female winemaker.

That seems like a good guess Matthew.

The the Google map is also really helpful. I looked at that, and looked for a vineyard that is “arrayed skirt-like, bordering the woodlands of the steeper slopes above.” This might be wishful thinking, but Martha’s Vineyard seems to fit that description quite well. And, Heitz Wine Cellars makes Martha’s Vineyard cab, and has a female winemaker…

Again, that may be wishful thinking, but looking at that map, I think am going to pretty darn happy regardless of which specific vineyard it comes from.

There is little question this wine will be tremendous value at 30 or 40 a bottle. I don’t think Martha’s Vineyard. 2014 latest release. Seems odd they’d be pushing barrels of 2018 out the door. But I also have no idea how the bulk market works.

does vhr not fit the bill?

I’m not happy the price keeps going up.

Did anyone try the Pinot?

Good point, yes it definitely would too. Seems like no bad choices here!

Like Matthew, I have no idea how the bulk wine market works, but (read: won’t stop me from guessing) I would not think the most recent vintage release would have anything to do with it. If the winery wants to make, say, 500 cases, and they they have enough barrels to make 700, I would think they would want to get rid of the barrels before they bottle (which sounds like the case for Becheur), age, and release their wines. That could be several years before they do their own release. (But, I am just guessing too [cheers.gif] )