Becheur 2018 Cabernet

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Message
Author
MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 567
Joined: July 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Becheur 2018 Cabernet

#1 Post by MatthewT » July 4th, 2020, 10:13 am

I got a case of this...

https://becheur.com/product/18ocs/

Anyone else?
I'm a Turk

User avatar
Mark Morrissette
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 266
Joined: January 27th, 2017, 7:26 am
Location: Falmouth, Maine

Re: Becheur 2018 Cabernet

#2 Post by Mark Morrissette » July 4th, 2020, 10:17 am

Yep. In for a case. Michael has not disappointed yet.

Michael B.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6
Joined: April 23rd, 2018, 11:32 am
Location: Hotlanta, GA

Re: Becheur 2018 Cabernet

#3 Post by Michael B. » July 4th, 2020, 10:27 am

Any idea on the source for this? Description sounds like Vine Hill Ranch.
Michael Brochstein

User avatar
Peter Kleban
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 13718
Joined: February 14th, 2010, 8:21 pm
Location: Vacationland (AKA Maine, USA)

Re: Becheur 2018 Cabernet

#4 Post by Peter Kleban » July 4th, 2020, 11:06 am

Just ordered a six-pack (to complement the six-pack of PN I ordered yesterday). I've had five different cuvées or vintages of his wines so far. Really liked them all. Subtle but interesting.
Bob Wood:
"Peter..your well-reasoned words were a waste of time."
WsOTY:
Paetra Pinot Blanc Coast Rng '18
Terrien Chard '15
Dirty & Rowdy Evangelho '17
Giacosa Arneis '16
Bêcheur Chard Anderson Vly '18
Felettig Morey St. Denis VV '14
Bêcheur PN '14
Felletig Chambolle-Mus VV '14
Pépière Muscadet VV Briords '09
Volpaia Chianti Classico '18

ray ormand
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 297
Joined: September 18th, 2009, 10:58 am

Re: Becheur 2018 Cabernet

#5 Post by ray ormand » July 4th, 2020, 3:05 pm

How can you go wrong with Terrien? I ended up with 6 bottles at $13 each/free shipping/no tax. Oakville 2018 Cabernet; no brainer. I was expecting a higher price to start as he did with the previous offer. By the time I was finishing stumbling and bumbling--trying to create an account when I already had one--the price had gone from $2 to $13. Still, amazing. Can hardly wait to see what's next. Becheur and de Negoce: Is this heaven?

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 567
Joined: July 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Re: Becheur 2018 Cabernet

#6 Post by MatthewT » July 4th, 2020, 3:25 pm

ray ormand wrote:
July 4th, 2020, 3:05 pm
How can you go wrong with Terrien? I ended up with 6 bottles at $13 each/free shipping/no tax. Oakville 2018 Cabernet; no brainer. I was expecting a higher price to start as he did with the previous offer. By the time I was finishing stumbling and bumbling--trying to create an account when I already had one--the price had gone from $2 to $13. Still, amazing. Can hardly wait to see what's next. Becheur and de Negoce: Is this heaven?
I had same account issues. I just used a different email address and got it at $3/bottle champagne.gif

I've bought all the Terrien stuff except the last Pinot cause I'm not a huge Pinot drinker and price never got to my liking for something blind. I'm guessing this Cab is worth 30/bottle at least prob 40. I'd have paid up to 30.

Agree, between Terrien and de Negoce I'm going to save a lot of money the next 12 months.
I'm a Turk

ray ormand
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 297
Joined: September 18th, 2009, 10:58 am

Re: Becheur 2018 Cabernet

#7 Post by ray ormand » July 4th, 2020, 4:33 pm

Matthew-I hear you brother, but I'm thinking this Cab is more like $100 in the inflated Napa universe.

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 567
Joined: July 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Re: Becheur 2018 Cabernet

#8 Post by MatthewT » July 4th, 2020, 4:36 pm

For sure. I didn't mean retail 30/40. Meant great QPR at 30/40.
I'm a Turk

User avatar
Brent S
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 139
Joined: August 8th, 2019, 9:59 am

Re: Becheur 2018 Cabernet

#9 Post by Brent S » July 4th, 2020, 7:10 pm

Happy I bought. If I’m not crazy about them-gifts!
Brent Sprenkle

NickRut
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 877
Joined: June 10th, 2016, 5:00 pm

Re: Becheur 2018 Cabernet

#10 Post by NickRut » July 4th, 2020, 7:33 pm

What controls the price? Up to north of $30 a bottle.
Rutkowski

Vince L.
Posts: 236
Joined: March 26th, 2020, 10:37 pm
Location: LAX

Re: Becheur 2018 Cabernet

#11 Post by Vince L. » July 4th, 2020, 7:42 pm

NickRut wrote:
July 4th, 2020, 7:33 pm
What controls the price? Up to north of $30 a bottle.
I think the public and ultimately him.

The first page states:
Dynamic pricing: airlines and hotels use it to fill seats and beds, but why not wineries? Dynamic pricing lowers the price you pay by reducing sales costs for us.

So here’s how it works: the price goes up or down with demand. If the price is higher than you like then name your price and you’ll receive a token if it drops to your desired price. The token works for 24 hours and as long as inventory holds out, you may want to wait and submit an even lower price.

Once the wine sells out, if you paid more than the average you will receive a coupon for the difference. For example, if you bought 6 bottles at $40 and the average price ends up being $20, you will get a coupon for $120.
The first Chardonnay's price graph was similar to the current one; early bird gets the worm ( < $8, the first 5 cases was sold for under that amount) then the price went up as people purchased. Ultimately the price will come down if people stop buying but up to a certain point I think. The 2nd Offer, a PN was sold high and then gradually went down and normalized as he said the site crashed with people trying to get the worm early.
l 3 r t

User avatar
Mark Morrissette
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 266
Joined: January 27th, 2017, 7:26 am
Location: Falmouth, Maine

Re: Becheur 2018 Cabernet

#12 Post by Mark Morrissette » July 5th, 2020, 6:08 am

Just to emphasize the point made above: if you pay above the average price, you get a credit for your next purchase for the difference between what you paid and the average price.

From the website: "Once the wine sells out, if you paid more than the average you will receive a coupon for the difference. For example, if you bought 6 bottles at $40 and the average price ends up being $20, you will get a coupon for $120."

JonathanG
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 443
Joined: August 7th, 2019, 10:45 pm
Location: SF Bay Area - Mid Peninsula

Re: Becheur 2018 Cabernet

#13 Post by JonathanG » July 5th, 2020, 3:24 pm

You think this one will be better than the de Negoce ones? With current pricing at $35 and average at $25, its a fair bit more than the OG series of cabs. Curious your thoughts on it, as I'm still on the fence.
J0|\|@+h@n Gr@h@m

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 567
Joined: July 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Re: Becheur 2018 Cabernet

#14 Post by MatthewT » July 5th, 2020, 5:35 pm

Feels like this offering in particular is a higher end wine. Small number of cases. I have more confidence this will be amazing than any of the single de negoce's. He is procuring dozens of wines. This is more limited and much smaller in scope.
I'm a Turk

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 567
Joined: July 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Re: Becheur 2018 Cabernet

#15 Post by MatthewT » July 6th, 2020, 1:39 pm

Seems like could be this but they haven't even released 2017 yet so not sure how they'd be dumping 2018 barrels.

https://paradigmwinery.com/heritage/

Fits a lot of what he said. West of 29, nice family owns it, female winemaker.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 00002&z=13
I'm a Turk

User avatar
Mark Morrissette
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 266
Joined: January 27th, 2017, 7:26 am
Location: Falmouth, Maine

Re: Becheur 2018 Cabernet

#16 Post by Mark Morrissette » July 6th, 2020, 2:34 pm

That seems like a good guess Matthew.

The the Google map is also really helpful. I looked at that, and looked for a vineyard that is "arrayed skirt-like, bordering the woodlands of the steeper slopes above." This might be wishful thinking, but Martha's Vineyard seems to fit that description quite well. And, Heitz Wine Cellars makes Martha's Vineyard cab, and has a female winemaker....

Again, that may be wishful thinking, but looking at that map, I think am going to pretty darn happy regardless of which specific vineyard it comes from.

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 567
Joined: July 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Re: Becheur 2018 Cabernet

#17 Post by MatthewT » July 6th, 2020, 2:52 pm

There is little question this wine will be tremendous value at 30 or 40 a bottle. I don't think Martha's Vineyard. 2014 latest release. Seems odd they'd be pushing barrels of 2018 out the door. But I also have no idea how the bulk market works.
I'm a Turk

Steve Crawford
Posts: 1864
Joined: August 28th, 2013, 3:29 pm
Location: NC

Re: Becheur 2018 Cabernet

#18 Post by Steve Crawford » July 6th, 2020, 3:31 pm

Mark Morrissette wrote:
July 6th, 2020, 2:34 pm
That seems like a good guess Matthew.

The the Google map is also really helpful. I looked at that, and looked for a vineyard that is "arrayed skirt-like, bordering the woodlands of the steeper slopes above." This might be wishful thinking, but Martha's Vineyard seems to fit that description quite well. And, Heitz Wine Cellars makes Martha's Vineyard cab, and has a female winemaker....

Again, that may be wishful thinking, but looking at that map, I think am going to pretty darn happy regardless of which specific vineyard it comes from.
does vhr not fit the bill?

NickRut
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 877
Joined: June 10th, 2016, 5:00 pm

Re: Becheur 2018 Cabernet

#19 Post by NickRut » July 6th, 2020, 4:02 pm

I’m not happy the price keeps going up.

Did anyone try the Pinot?
Rutkowski

User avatar
Mark Morrissette
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 266
Joined: January 27th, 2017, 7:26 am
Location: Falmouth, Maine

Re: Becheur 2018 Cabernet

#20 Post by Mark Morrissette » July 6th, 2020, 4:22 pm

Steve Crawford wrote:
July 6th, 2020, 3:31 pm
Mark Morrissette wrote:
July 6th, 2020, 2:34 pm
That seems like a good guess Matthew.

The the Google map is also really helpful. I looked at that, and looked for a vineyard that is "arrayed skirt-like, bordering the woodlands of the steeper slopes above." This might be wishful thinking, but Martha's Vineyard seems to fit that description quite well. And, Heitz Wine Cellars makes Martha's Vineyard cab, and has a female winemaker....

Again, that may be wishful thinking, but looking at that map, I think am going to pretty darn happy regardless of which specific vineyard it comes from.
does vhr not fit the bill?
Good point, yes it definitely would too. Seems like no bad choices here!

Like Matthew, I have no idea how the bulk wine market works, but (read: won't stop me from guessing) I would not think the most recent vintage release would have anything to do with it. If the winery wants to make, say, 500 cases, and they they have enough barrels to make 700, I would think they would want to get rid of the barrels before they bottle (which sounds like the case for Becheur), age, and release their wines. That could be several years before they do their own release. (But, I am just guessing too [cheers.gif] )

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 567
Joined: July 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Re: Becheur 2018 Cabernet

#21 Post by MatthewT » July 6th, 2020, 5:55 pm

That's a good point. Really has nothing to do when they release their own wine. Shits in a barrel and needs to be moved.
I'm a Turk

User avatar
Mason H
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 203
Joined: June 30th, 2010, 10:13 am
Location: Charleston, SC

Re: Becheur 2018 Cabernet

#22 Post by Mason H » July 7th, 2020, 12:54 pm

Looks like the price has stalled out at $35.60. Does the wine stay live until it's sold out, or can it be replaced with remaining bottles in stock?

It looks like Vine Hill Ranch based on the description. Saying it's not old-school counts Martha's out. I suppose Far Niente fits the bill as well for location and a female winemaker.
Last edited by Mason H on July 7th, 2020, 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mason Hewitt

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 567
Joined: July 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Re: Becheur 2018 Cabernet

#23 Post by MatthewT » July 7th, 2020, 12:57 pm

It's really the most bizarre business model that I don't think he's fleshed out yet.

The last offering, the Pinot, had like 1200 of the 1800 bottles left when it went off sale. The price stalled similar to the way this price has stalled and sales virtually halted. So even though nobody is buying it, he's not lowering the price.

I'd love to know what he's going to do with the 1200 bottles of Pinot he never sold! I just assumed it would go down in price till he sold all. Nope.
I'm a Turk

User avatar
Mason H
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 203
Joined: June 30th, 2010, 10:13 am
Location: Charleston, SC

Re: Becheur 2018 Cabernet

#24 Post by Mason H » July 7th, 2020, 12:58 pm

MatthewT wrote:
July 7th, 2020, 12:57 pm
It's really the most bizarre business model that I don't think he's fleshed out yet.

The last offering, the Pinot, had like 1200 of the 1800 bottles left when it went off sale. The price stalled similar to the way this price has stalled and sales virtually halted. So even though nobody is buying it, he's not lowering the price.

I'd love to know what he's going to do with the 1200 bottles of Pinot he never sold! I just assumed it would go down in price till he sold all. Nope.
Interesting. I was going to pull the trigger if it got below $30. Maybe I should now...
Mason Hewitt

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 567
Joined: July 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Re: Becheur 2018 Cabernet

#25 Post by MatthewT » July 7th, 2020, 1:02 pm

Mason H wrote:
July 7th, 2020, 12:58 pm
MatthewT wrote:
July 7th, 2020, 12:57 pm
It's really the most bizarre business model that I don't think he's fleshed out yet.

The last offering, the Pinot, had like 1200 of the 1800 bottles left when it went off sale. The price stalled similar to the way this price has stalled and sales virtually halted. So even though nobody is buying it, he's not lowering the price.

I'd love to know what he's going to do with the 1200 bottles of Pinot he never sold! I just assumed it would go down in price till he sold all. Nope.
Interesting. I was going to pull the trigger if it got below $30. Maybe I should now...
I think you can wait but it won't go much lower unless he changes the algo. Sales have virtually stopped already and it's not going down. He will keep it for sale for many weeks (The Pinot was on sale for like 5 or 6 weeks?). Can wait till people get the bottles and review it, too.

But I'm guessing it's a fantastic wine and w/ free shipping the current price is totally fair.
I'm a Turk

Jeff_M.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 690
Joined: July 18th, 2019, 7:39 am
Location: SoCal

Re: Becheur 2018 Cabernet

#26 Post by Jeff_M. » July 7th, 2020, 1:41 pm

In for 6, price went up $1 per bottle after my purchase.
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates
2007 Yangarra Estate High Sands Grenache
1986 Spottswoode Cabernet

User avatar
Mason H
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 203
Joined: June 30th, 2010, 10:13 am
Location: Charleston, SC

Re: Becheur 2018 Cabernet

#27 Post by Mason H » July 7th, 2020, 1:56 pm

MatthewT wrote:
July 7th, 2020, 1:02 pm
Mason H wrote:
July 7th, 2020, 12:58 pm
MatthewT wrote:
July 7th, 2020, 12:57 pm
It's really the most bizarre business model that I don't think he's fleshed out yet.

The last offering, the Pinot, had like 1200 of the 1800 bottles left when it went off sale. The price stalled similar to the way this price has stalled and sales virtually halted. So even though nobody is buying it, he's not lowering the price.

I'd love to know what he's going to do with the 1200 bottles of Pinot he never sold! I just assumed it would go down in price till he sold all. Nope.
Interesting. I was going to pull the trigger if it got below $30. Maybe I should now...
I think you can wait but it won't go much lower unless he changes the algo. Sales have virtually stopped already and it's not going down. He will keep it for sale for many weeks (The Pinot was on sale for like 5 or 6 weeks?). Can wait till people get the bottles and review it, too.

But I'm guessing it's a fantastic wine and w/ free shipping the current price is totally fair.
Definitely fair pricing, if not really demand based. I bought 6 and $36.60.
Mason Hewitt

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 567
Joined: July 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Re: Becheur 2018 Cabernet

#28 Post by MatthewT » July 7th, 2020, 2:00 pm

I agree, there is no real dynamic pricing outside of the first 30 min and I have no clue what his end game is. With the Pinot, it wasn't to sell out or even come close.
I'm a Turk

NickRut
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 877
Joined: June 10th, 2016, 5:00 pm

Re: Becheur 2018 Cabernet

#29 Post by NickRut » July 7th, 2020, 2:55 pm

The algo is goofy or it’s designed to take 8-10 weeks to sell through. It goes down very very slowly from what I can gather.
Rutkowski

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 567
Joined: July 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Re: Becheur 2018 Cabernet

#30 Post by MatthewT » July 7th, 2020, 3:02 pm

But the Pinot had 2/3 of inventory left when he took it off sale. And the last few weeks virtually none sold but the price stayed same +/- $1 or $2. It's...odd
I'm a Turk

User avatar
Corey N.
Posts: 27131
Joined: November 18th, 2010, 8:36 pm
Location: Certainly NOT Orlando

Re: Becheur 2018 Cabernet

#31 Post by Corey N. » July 7th, 2020, 6:19 pm

As a consumer, I hate the dynamic pricing. Unless I’m in the first wave, I’m going to feel like I overpaid. By no means am I criticizing; it’s not my business how to price the wine, but I’ve passed on two offers because I didn’t want to be the sucker that overpaid.
WOTY: 2013 d’Yquem

Nøv¡¢k

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 567
Joined: July 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Re: Becheur 2018 Cabernet

#32 Post by MatthewT » July 7th, 2020, 6:41 pm

I actually think it has amazing potential. I just don't think he's doing it right. Nobody knows the rules. Does he want the wine to sell out? Is it really dynamic pricing? Both the Pinot and the Cab have basically stayed w/in $2 or $3 after the first few days no matter how few bottles are purchased. If it really went down, say $1 an hour when nobody buys a bottle, it has real potential. And he'd sell out of course.
I'm a Turk

NickRut
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 877
Joined: June 10th, 2016, 5:00 pm

Re: Becheur 2018 Cabernet

#33 Post by NickRut » July 7th, 2020, 8:09 pm

MatthewT wrote:
July 7th, 2020, 3:02 pm
But the Pinot had 2/3 of inventory left when he took it off sale. And the last few weeks virtually none sold but the price stayed same +/- $1 or $2. It's...odd

Very odd. It does look like the Pinot started high then dipped while this started low. Maybe he’s getting the algorithm right.

Will likely grab some at some point regardless. Thinking VHR from the context clues.
Rutkowski

Vince L.
Posts: 236
Joined: March 26th, 2020, 10:37 pm
Location: LAX

Re: Becheur 2018 Cabernet

#34 Post by Vince L. » July 7th, 2020, 8:15 pm

NickRut wrote:
July 7th, 2020, 8:09 pm
MatthewT wrote:
July 7th, 2020, 3:02 pm
But the Pinot had 2/3 of inventory left when he took it off sale. And the last few weeks virtually none sold but the price stayed same +/- $1 or $2. It's...odd

Very odd. It does look like the Pinot started high then dipped while this started low. Maybe he’s getting the algorithm right.

Will likely grab some at some point regardless. Thinking VHR from the context clues.
Pinot crashed his website so he had to start high and go low which is the opposite of the first one and this one.
l 3 r t

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 567
Joined: July 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Re: Becheur 2018 Cabernet

#35 Post by MatthewT » July 7th, 2020, 8:25 pm

Vince L. wrote:
July 7th, 2020, 8:15 pm
NickRut wrote:
July 7th, 2020, 8:09 pm
MatthewT wrote:
July 7th, 2020, 3:02 pm
But the Pinot had 2/3 of inventory left when he took it off sale. And the last few weeks virtually none sold but the price stayed same +/- $1 or $2. It's...odd

Very odd. It does look like the Pinot started high then dipped while this started low. Maybe he’s getting the algorithm right.

Will likely grab some at some point regardless. Thinking VHR from the context clues.
Pinot crashed his website so he had to start high and go low which is the opposite of the first one and this one.
Yah, that's only reason. And I figured that's why the sale "failed", that it busted the algo. But now it seems he just doesn't really care if it sells or not. Guessing he'll keep tweaking it.
I'm a Turk

User avatar
Glen Gold
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 887
Joined: February 25th, 2014, 8:53 pm

Re: Becheur 2018 Cabernet

#36 Post by Glen Gold » July 7th, 2020, 8:45 pm

Looks like the pinot is still available. The cab dropped ten cents while I was reading the description.
Avatar = Jeremy from Peep Show.

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 567
Joined: July 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Re: Becheur 2018 Cabernet

#37 Post by MatthewT » July 7th, 2020, 9:04 pm

That's so weird re Pinot. Says 12 bottles left. But there were like 1000 when the offer ended last week.
I'm a Turk

User avatar
Brent S
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 139
Joined: August 8th, 2019, 9:59 am

Re: Becheur 2018 Cabernet

#38 Post by Brent S » July 8th, 2020, 9:05 pm

Just received An email that my order will be delivered tomorrow. That’s fast.
Brent Sprenkle

Steve Crawford
Posts: 1864
Joined: August 28th, 2013, 3:29 pm
Location: NC

Re: Becheur 2018 Cabernet

#39 Post by Steve Crawford » July 9th, 2020, 1:11 am

Mason H wrote:
July 7th, 2020, 12:54 pm
Looks like the price has stalled out at $35.60. Does the wine stay live until it's sold out, or can it be replaced with remaining bottles in stock?

It looks like Vine Hill Ranch based on the description. Saying it's not old-school counts Martha's out. I suppose Far Niente fits the bill as well for location and a female winemaker.
the two disqualifiers would be I doubt far niente bulks much out, their production is apples to oranges compared to VHR. as well as a 'family' owning the land. i don't think this would be a true statement or have been since 2003.

one possibility which hasn't been mentioned is Kelham. not sure if Ham is still the winemaker or if it's a female now.

Michael Feldman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 124
Joined: October 28th, 2014, 7:24 pm
Location: Lehigh Valley

Re: Becheur 2018 Cabernet

#40 Post by Michael Feldman » July 9th, 2020, 5:22 am

JonathanG wrote:
July 5th, 2020, 3:24 pm
You think this one will be better than the de Negoce ones? With current pricing at $35 and average at $25, its a fair bit more than the OG series of cabs. Curious your thoughts on it, as I'm still on the fence.
I too am curious as to why the posters here would pay $20plus a bottle more for a “mystery” Cabernet ( than Cameron Hughes’ De Negoce ).
Please clarify.

Michael B.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6
Joined: April 23rd, 2018, 11:32 am
Location: Hotlanta, GA

Re: Becheur 2018 Cabernet

#41 Post by Michael B. » July 9th, 2020, 5:49 am

Michael Feldman wrote:
July 9th, 2020, 5:22 am
JonathanG wrote:
July 5th, 2020, 3:24 pm
You think this one will be better than the de Negoce ones? With current pricing at $35 and average at $25, its a fair bit more than the OG series of cabs. Curious your thoughts on it, as I'm still on the fence.
I too am curious as to why the posters here would pay $20plus a bottle more for a “mystery” Cabernet ( than Cameron Hughes’ De Negoce ).
Please clarify.
Speaking only for myself, while I didn't pay over $20, I would think the pedigree of the location would make that a decent risk.
Michael Brochstein

Steve Crawford
Posts: 1864
Joined: August 28th, 2013, 3:29 pm
Location: NC

Re: Becheur 2018 Cabernet

#42 Post by Steve Crawford » July 9th, 2020, 6:27 am

Michael Feldman wrote:
July 9th, 2020, 5:22 am
JonathanG wrote:
July 5th, 2020, 3:24 pm
You think this one will be better than the de Negoce ones? With current pricing at $35 and average at $25, its a fair bit more than the OG series of cabs. Curious your thoughts on it, as I'm still on the fence.
I too am curious as to why the posters here would pay $20plus a bottle more for a “mystery” Cabernet ( than Cameron Hughes’ De Negoce ).
Please clarify.
2018 cab from western oakville. if you don't think that's worth 20 dollars, then yea it's not worth the discussion.

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 567
Joined: July 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Re: Becheur 2018 Cabernet

#43 Post by MatthewT » July 9th, 2020, 6:36 am

Michael Feldman wrote:
July 9th, 2020, 5:22 am
JonathanG wrote:
July 5th, 2020, 3:24 pm
You think this one will be better than the de Negoce ones? With current pricing at $35 and average at $25, its a fair bit more than the OG series of cabs. Curious your thoughts on it, as I'm still on the fence.
I too am curious as to why the posters here would pay $20plus a bottle more for a “mystery” Cabernet ( than Cameron Hughes’ De Negoce ).
Please clarify.
I answered. This is a small batch Cab (less than 125 cases) and has the makings of something special. There is room in my cellar for De Negoce and this. Who knows which one will be the better QPR.
I'm a Turk

Jeff_M.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 690
Joined: July 18th, 2019, 7:39 am
Location: SoCal

Re: Becheur 2018 Cabernet

#44 Post by Jeff_M. » July 9th, 2020, 7:26 am

Surprised that they shipped my order during a summer heatwave even though its going out via GSO. Wish they would have done a weather hold until cooler weather is here in CA.
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates
2007 Yangarra Estate High Sands Grenache
1986 Spottswoode Cabernet

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 567
Joined: July 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Re: Becheur 2018 Cabernet

#45 Post by MatthewT » July 9th, 2020, 7:58 am

He says at bottom will be shipping only to western states. Must have ice packs. Mine is coming overnight to San Diego and I don't think heat will be an issue even w/o ice packs.
I'm a Turk

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 567
Joined: July 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Re: Becheur 2018 Cabernet

#46 Post by MatthewT » July 9th, 2020, 10:54 am

Delivered! Decanting already. I know bottle shock, etc. But I need to see how good this is to know if I buy a 2nd case. Will report back.
I'm a Turk

User avatar
Mark Morrissette
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 266
Joined: January 27th, 2017, 7:26 am
Location: Falmouth, Maine

Re: Becheur 2018 Cabernet

#47 Post by Mark Morrissette » July 9th, 2020, 10:59 am

MatthewT wrote:
July 9th, 2020, 10:54 am
Delivered! Decanting already. I know bottle shock, etc. But I need to see how good this is to know if I buy a 2nd case. Will report back.
Looking forward to your report!

User avatar
Brent S
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 139
Joined: August 8th, 2019, 9:59 am

Re: Becheur 2018 Cabernet

#48 Post by Brent S » July 9th, 2020, 11:11 am

Wine showed up. Super generic. Just says becheur on the front with a bottle number at the bottom (14772) and nothing on the back except the government warning. How do I even know this is the 2018 cab?
Brent Sprenkle

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 567
Joined: July 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Re: Becheur 2018 Cabernet

#49 Post by MatthewT » July 9th, 2020, 11:12 am

Yah, I thought that was pretty funny. But I tried it. It's the cab. And it's really really good.
I'm a Turk

User avatar
Brent S
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 139
Joined: August 8th, 2019, 9:59 am

Re: Becheur 2018 Cabernet

#50 Post by Brent S » July 9th, 2020, 11:40 am

Guess we need to take a pen and clearly write “2018 Oakville Cab” on the label so we remember.
Brent Sprenkle

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”