Bordeaux 2010 - 10 years - 61 reds

Bordeaux 2010 after 10 years. 61 reds, incl. almost all big names, tasted blind. Average score 92.1 and lower than the more open and charming 2009 vintage last year (93.4). A few observations: A) It’s not yet the harmonious, complex, classic, clean vintage. Especially the masculine appellations of the left bank need at least 5 more years to just open up, potentially longer to soften. B) Left bank trumps right bank thanks to less detectable alcohol, cleaner lines and the two best wines of the vintage (Mouton, Margaux). C) Pomerol shines bright with many strong wines which can all mask the high alcohol levels (best AOC slightly ahead of Pauillac). D) As in 2009, there are several right banks already past peak, incl. big names (Duffau Lagarosse, Ausone). All in all, 2010 is a very good vintage with pockets of greatness but today 2009 shows more open and hence complex.

The full story and tasting notes on Cellartracker:
https://www.cellartracker.com/event.asp?iEvent=44700&searchId=4E15BA45%23selected%253DW1959093_1_Kc47dd2c270e429720ed416fdd3f4e654&UISource=list

Some additional information based on the average scores of 5 participants (all wines tasted blind)

Appelation Ranking
Rank / Appellation / Avg. Score / #1 Votes
1 Pomerol 95.2 / 3
2 Pauillac 95.1 / 2
3 Margaux 93.3 / 0
4 St. Emillion 92.7 / 0
5 St. Julien 92.7 / 0
6 St. Estephe 92.6 / 0
7 Pessac-Leognan 92.0 / 0

Left vs Right Bank
Rank / Left or Right / Avg. Score / #1 Votes
1 Right Bank 93.12 / 3
2 Left Bank 93.05 / 2

Top 10 Wines
Rank / Wine / Avg. Score
1 Mouton Rothschild 98.8
2 Margaux 98.4
3 Le Pin 97.8
4 Vieux Chateau Certain 97.2
5 Cheval Blanc 96.0
5 Clos Manou 96.0
5 Latour 96.0
8 Eglise Clinet 95.8
9 Lafleur 95.4
9 Angelus 95.4

Worst 10 Wines
Rank / Wine / Avg. Score
52 Clauzet 90.4
52 La Mondotte 90.4 (some oxidation)
54 Pavie Maquin 90.3 (some oxidation)
54 La Sergue 90.3
56 Pape Clement 89.2 (over-oaked and overdone)
57 Domaine de Chevalier 89.0 (probably a bad bottle)
58 Moulin Haut Laroque 88.8
59 Dubois Grimons 87
60 Duffau Lagarosse 86.7 (oxidized)
61 Larrivet de Haut Brion (badly corked)

Thanks Andy. I didn’t realize you’re Cailles on CT. Big fan of your tasting notes!

Thanks for sharing, some great notes. I know you’ve made decanting recommendations should one feel the urge to pop a cork now, but how long were the wines decanted for this tasting? Looks like this will be a good event to recreate in 2035!

Clos Manou! Wow! I’m sure Robert is going to run out to get cases.

Thanks for posting. Sounds like a great tasting. You managed to task a ton of wines I don’t own, even though I own a bunch of 2000s!

Lol, I did check WineSearcher. And Leve. It’s a Leve 88 so I would prolly love it. Never tried it before.

Extremely well-done notes. Helpful reference on some wines I have. I knew that I should have bought more 2010 VCC.

I have 2005 Clos Manou and as best I can recall (I’ve only opened one) it seemed pretty damn modern. Maybe my recollection is off and maybe the vintage made all the difference.

Thx! Wines were not decanted (just opened 2-4 hours prior to the tasting which hardly moves the needle). That’s why one or the other left bank wines got rather subpar ratings (think Montrose, St. Juliens or Mission/Haut Brion) - they were just closed and in the 20 minutes time you have to assess the wines in such a large tasting (held over two days), some just did not open at all, no matter how much you swirled.

Clos Manou was clearly a big surprise. Right time, right bottle, damn delicious. Clearly not sure if it could repeat that performance. Modern? Yes, it’s certainly no Leoville Barton :slight_smile:, but style wise it was not far off a classic Pauillac with a bit of well-measured luxurious oak aromas. So modern but no slutty hyper-extraction bomb either. (…but as said, I’m really not an expert on this winery)

Darn, I have never heard of Clos Manou, glad that I learnt something today.

Thanks for the report.

Clos Manou makes the prephylloxera Cuvee 1850 - could be up your alley

What a monumental tasting! Thanks for the fantastic notes and wonderful organization of the the tasting info.