Cab Producer for a Zin Fanatic

Looking to balance my Cali zin with some cab / cab blends. For someone that likes Bedrock, Bucklin, Carlisle, O&F, Turley, etc, what do you recommend for cab based wines?

Thanks in advance!

For Bedrock, have you tried Morgan’s Sonoma County or Montecillo cabs?

Well… Bedrock makes a pretty great cab, so I’d start there! :wink:

If you’re interested in the savory side of zin (as opposed to the fruity side), I’d head to check out some 2016 left bank Bordeaux. I’m drinking a 2016 Dame de Montrose right now and it is mighty fine - and bears a certain structural resemblance to a Bedrock SVD zin (flavor profile is different, obviously). Other excellent 2016s <$40 include Capbern, Lilian Ladouys, Cantemerle, Lanessan, Meyney, and Marquis de Calon. They vary in fruit-forwardness and oak treatment, but they kind of resemble the range between Bedrock and Turley. Just do a search for 2016 bordeaux on WB and you’ll find lots of opinions and rXeviews… and a lot of people saying this or that “is the QPR wine of the vintage”
champagne.gif

I like everything you listed in Zins and my tastes lean towards balanced, traditional, but bigger cabs. Of the ones I have had recently I have enjoyed:
Congruence
Liparita, pre 2011
Alexander Valley Vineyards
The recent de Negoce N.01

Some of these will be easier to get than others.

Not a cab, but in the Bordeaux style our own board member and Berserker day participant, Virage. Great Cab franc/Merlot right bank style blend.

Interesting. I had the 2016 La Dame recently, and while quite good I thought it was a bit different in style than Bedrock. Certainly more savory as you noted.

The 2016 Domaine de Chevalier, on the other hand, was very reminiscent of Bedrock Heritage especially on the nose. It’s slightly more polished and more compatible with the new world profile on my opinion.

Perhaps I’m thinking of 2018 Bedrock Zins, which are a bit more brooding and tannic. Sure, the Bedrock is more plush, but I think the ripe tannins, savory plums, higher acid (relative to napa cab) and aromatic lift give it a similar sort of outline to many Bedrock zins.

Haven’t opened any 2016 DDCs yet… I have some 375s in storage; sounds like maybe I should grab one once the facility reopens.

Check out Fred Scherrer’s cabs.

I would give Aussie Cabernet a serious look.

Dry Creek
Nickel & Nickel
Outpost
Chiarello

Why do you think you want cab and Cali? If you are set on Cali, closer to a zin profile, I would think you might like mataro and/or petite sirah/durif more than cab? I think you have Cali already figured out on producers. If you really are set on cab, I honestly believe Bordeaux is mostly a better value now for cab blends. That said, for big slutty Cali reds that don’t need much cellaring nor break the bank, I like Kenefick Ranch Chris’s Cuvee and Anderson’s Conn Valley. I’m on the de Négoce train, but have yet to open one; here is hoping. Honestly, it sounds like you are still exploring what you like? If so, I would more try to balance your New World with Old World. the MODERN LOVERS "Old World" 1972 - YouTube

Turley.

That was my first thought. Next is I. Brand. Then look for other good recs from Sonoma, Santa Clara Valley, Monterrey and San Benito Counties.

Going to take a leap off the cliff. Not going to recommend a Cab from a Zin producer. Try Switchback Ridge or Anderson Conn Valley. This coming from a Zin lover.

Thanks all for the recommendations … there are some good suggestions above.

I have bought some cab from Bedrock and Carlisle, when available, just haven’t tried it yet.

I also pick up quite a bit of syrah and petite sirah from the likes of Bedrock, Carlisle, and Turley, which I really enjoy, too.

I picked up some Virage on Berserker Day last year, and they’ve been very enjoyable.

I’ll have to look into the old world options, just been focused on US wines so far as there are so many choices.

Thanks again!