TN: 2016 Comm. G.B. Burlotto Langhe Freisa (Italy, Langhe DOC)

• 2016 Comm. G.B. Burlotto Langhe Freisa - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Langhe DOC (6/25/2020)
    It’s matured nicely, and is in a really good place now. That said, it wasn’t quite the experience I was expecting, as night #1 was all about place, and night #2, was (almost profoundly) about fruit (respectable second place, as it were). Paired quite well with a fully dressed bison burger, with bonus points for the gentle rush of the waters in the Beaver Creek filling my ears as I filled my face. Now, or the next 3-4 years at this level, I suspect. Good fun. 14,5% abv. recommended+

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for reporting on this, Tim. I usually love this wine and a lot of the “lesser” Piemonte reds. Everyone wants to go ga-ga over Barolo and Barbaresco, and while I love those too, they generally aren’t interesting and/or ready until 20 years or more. I love Freisa, Pelaverga, Ruche, Dolcetto, Uva Rara, Grignolino, Barbera, and even Brachetto for a breakfast wine. There’s so much more to Piemonte than just Nebbiolo.

He says as he drinks 2017 Elio Grasso Dolcetto Dei Grassi…

Thanks for the fine and timely note Tim. I was debating between this and a '15 G Rinaldi Freisa tonight with hamburger and went with the latter. Looks like either would have been delicious. I really like Fabio’s '16 Freisa, and had planned to cellar a few in the midterm. My resolve failed and I’m down to my last bottle. Sounds like a great pairing with the Bison burger. Sadly I had no Beaver creek sounds to accompany my wine and burger, just rustling wind in the desert.

Thanks again,

Best,
T

I was astounded by their freisa the first time I visited Burlotto in 2011. It was so grapy and fruit-forward, with none of the rough edges I had come to expect with the grape. Fabio said they pick quite late to get the wine they do. Which makes sense. It can be so gulpable – hard to imagine it’s a close relative to nebbiolo.

I think their Pelaverga is great too.

Having recently sampled the 2018, I’m looking forward to seeing what happens with a few years in the cellar. The fruit seems intense enough in the young wine to benefit from at least a short sojourn.

I share your sentiment; have 6 bottles in the cellar for the same reasons you offer. I bought them within a week of tasting at the cantina based on the future potential; will hold for another 2-3 years at least before I begin to open them. Crazy good QPR proposition, love it.

I bought some of the 2018 based on your thread and it is excelllent. After reading Tim’s comments, I may save a few bottles for aging–though that will require some self-discipline.

I love their Freisa - I bought a few bottles of the 2016 and it is in a much better spot right now than it was on release. I’d expect the 2018 to improve with a couple years in bottle too. Does anyone here have experience with this one past ~5 years or so of age?