TN: 2016 Comm. G.B. Burlotto Langhe Freisa (Italy, Langhe DOC)

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Tim Heaton

TN: 2016 Comm. G.B. Burlotto Langhe Freisa (Italy, Langhe DOC)

#1 Post by Tim Heaton » June 30th, 2020, 5:16 pm

• 2016 Comm. G.B. Burlotto Langhe Freisa - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Langhe DOC (6/25/2020)
    It's matured nicely, and is in a really good place now. That said, it wasn't quite the experience I was expecting, as night #1 was all about place, and night #2, was (almost profoundly) about fruit (respectable second place, as it were). Paired quite well with a fully dressed bison burger, with bonus points for the gentle rush of the waters in the Beaver Creek filling my ears as I filled my face. Now, or the next 3-4 years at this level, I suspect. Good fun. 14,5% abv. recommended+

https://www.ItalianWine.blog
Posted from CellarTracker
ITB: winestrategies
italianwine.blog
CT: Tim Heaton

Marshall Manning
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: TN: 2016 Comm. G.B. Burlotto Langhe Freisa (Italy, Langhe DOC)

#2 Post by Marshall Manning » June 30th, 2020, 7:18 pm

Thanks for reporting on this, Tim. I usually love this wine and a lot of the "lesser" Piemonte reds. Everyone wants to go ga-ga over Barolo and Barbaresco, and while I love those too, they generally aren't interesting and/or ready until 20 years or more. I love Freisa, Pelaverga, Ruche, Dolcetto, Uva Rara, Grignolino, Barbera, and even Brachetto for a breakfast wine. There's so much more to Piemonte than just Nebbiolo.

He says as he drinks 2017 Elio Grasso Dolcetto Dei Grassi...
Marshall

Todd Tucker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Todd Tucker » June 30th, 2020, 7:28 pm

Thanks for the fine and timely note Tim. I was debating between this and a '15 G Rinaldi Freisa tonight with hamburger and went with the latter. Looks like either would have been delicious. I really like Fabio's '16 Freisa, and had planned to cellar a few in the midterm. My resolve failed and I'm down to my last bottle. Sounds like a great pairing with the Bison burger. Sadly I had no Beaver creek sounds to accompany my wine and burger, just rustling wind in the desert.

Thanks again,

Best,
T

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by John Morris » July 1st, 2020, 10:43 am

I was astounded by their freisa the first time I visited Burlotto in 2011. It was so grapy and fruit-forward, with none of the rough edges I had come to expect with the grape. Fabio said they pick quite late to get the wine they do. Which makes sense. It can be so gulpable -- hard to imagine it's a close relative to nebbiolo.
"English doesn't just borrow foreign words, it stalks languages down dark alleyways, knocks them over and then rifles their pockets for new words." -- @Another NPC on YouTube

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Greg K » July 1st, 2020, 10:47 am

John Morris wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 10:43 am
I was astounded by their freisa the first time I visited Burlotto in 2011. It was so grapy and fruit-forward, with none of the rough edges I had come to expect with the grape. Fabio said they pick quite late to get the wine they do. Which makes sense. It can be so gulpable -- hard to imagine it's a close relative to nebbiolo.
I think their Pelaverga is great too.
Greg Kahn

eweininger

#6 Post by eweininger » July 1st, 2020, 10:58 am

Tim Heaton wrote:
June 30th, 2020, 5:16 pm

Having recently sampled the 2018, I’m looking forward to seeing what happens with a few years in the cellar. The fruit seems intense enough in the young wine to benefit from at least a short sojourn.
Elliot

Tim Heaton

#7 Post by Tim Heaton » July 2nd, 2020, 7:54 am

eweininger wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 10:58 am
Tim Heaton wrote:
June 30th, 2020, 5:16 pm

Having recently sampled the 2018, I’m looking forward to seeing what happens with a few years in the cellar. The fruit seems intense enough in the young wine to benefit from at least a short sojourn.
I share your sentiment; have 6 bottles in the cellar for the same reasons you offer. I bought them within a week of tasting at the cantina based on the future potential; will hold for another 2-3 years at least before I begin to open them. Crazy good QPR proposition, love it.
ITB: winestrategies
italianwine.blog
CT: Tim Heaton

Fred Davis

#8 Post by Fred Davis » July 2nd, 2020, 9:23 am

John Morris wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 10:43 am
I bought some of the 2018 based on your thread and it is excelllent. After reading Tim's comments, I may save a few bottles for aging--though that will require some self-discipline.

Return to “Wine Talk”