06` R. Lopez de Heredia Vina Bosconia Reserva Rioja

2006 R. LOPEZ de HEREDIA VINA BOSCONIA RESERVA RIOJA- I’ve preferred the Bosconai over the Tondonia releases over all of the years and this one just knocked my socks off. The often heard hype is that it is more Burgundian than the Bordeaux like Tondonia. Whatever. This bottle was the Baskin-Robbins of Spanish reds with so much and so many flavors going on; following its brilliant red purple color came most discernible aromas of clove, cedar, spice and nutmeg that provided accents to the blueberry, red cherry, plum and blackberry fruit; all of this continued on all the way to the back end; it was super soft and smooth, medium bodied and just hit all of the sensory preceptors in the right place; it’s truly an amazing wine and nicely balanced with oak integration at this early stage and it is structured to go the long haul; 80% Tempranillo, 15% Garnacha, 5% Graciano and Mazuelo.

Cheers,
Blake
IMG_1897.JPG

Love the note Blake. Haven’t dug into my stash yet but sounds like it’s worth a first look soon.

Yes, nice note, Blake,
I have some as well. Maybe I will have to open this weekend to go with baby backs and black truffle corn pudding.

Enjoy!

Vince & Joshua, yes, it’s a good time to check out the early showing of this wine and yes, it’s built for the long run and promises to give generously. I was just amazed at how it was showing so early in the game and felt compelled to put up some TNs.

Great note as always, Blake. If you’ve had the '05, how would you compare the two?

David, I’ve had 04, 05 and now the 06` and this is the winner and all were really good. More complexity and layered depth of goodies here.

Quick question Blake. From where did you obtain this? Seems current shipping is the 2007. And why do you prefer Bosconia over Tondonia. Certainly less expensive by about $8.

Not Blake, but in conception Viña Bosconia was intended to be a more Burgundian-styled wine, whereas Viña Tondonia was modeled on the Bordeaux crus classé (and Viña Gravonia on the white blends of the Graves). This all came about during the phylloxera crisis, which reached Bordeaux in the late 19th century but hadn’t get reached the vicinity of Haro; so lots of Bordelais migrated there to make wine. As one of the few estates that hasn’t changed much at all, Lopez de Heredia gives something of an insight into what one might call the folk memory, as interpreted in Spain, of the 19th-century wines of Bordeaux and Burgundy.

Personally, I wouldn’t like to have to choose between them, but I have more Tondonia in my cellar than Bosconia simply because it’s easier to find, at least in the markets where I buy.

I purchased the 6 bottles I bought from Envoyer. I like the fruit profile for Bosconia better than the Tondonia which I like a lot also. I’ve had much more experience with “older” Tondonia Reserva and Gran Reservas, but I love how the Bosconia ages and what it morphs into. In a word, “elegance” is the hallmark for me and if I had to add another word, it would be “class”.

William`s comments are right on and part of the allure and charm that comes from the history.

Thanks, I always like to see why people like what they like. For me, both hit the spot. Will check to see if Envoyer still has to 06. All of the ones I’ve had lately were great.

None left of any Spanish reds.

Blake,
Great note. I’ll have to check CT, but I think you own more bottles in common with me than anyone! I too love the Bosconia Reservas, but have more Tondonias. I’m lucky to have the '04 and '06 Bosconia Reserva in my cellar, and even luckier to have the '94 and '95 GR’s! A 1995 LDH Bosconia GR was stunning earlier this year. Thanks for reminding me to buy more Bosconia!!!
Cheers,
Warren

I tend to like Tondonia better when young. I find Bosconia needs a bit more time to fully show itself, and by age 20 I find I like Bosconia better. I’ve only had a couple Bosconia GRs (81 and 91) and they were both killer.

Thanks. I have several '05s but have only bought '06 Tondonia thus far. I’ll seek them out.

For whatever reason, both the Tondonia and Bosconia are somewhat widely distributed in Houston. Several retail outlets keep them in stock at good prices thankfully.

Hey Warren. I haven’t mentioned anywhere in this thread that I really prefer these wines with much more age and I only opened the 06 Bosconia to just see where it was starting out from as my intention is to drink other bottles at least 10 years down the line {note to self, often disregarded}. Even the 94s of both are still needing time. But, this 06 really just shined above and beyond with gentle and yet profound notes, so much more so than the 04 and 05`.

Thanks for the note Blake. I prefer the Bosconia to the Tondonia as well. Have a case of the '06, but will wait a while longer to open one. Anyone reading this open an '07 yet? Have some but haven’t seen any notes yet.

I have more of the '05 than the '06, as I thought that was supposed to be a better year. Looks like I’m going to need to get more '06. Had a '91 Gran Reserva Bosconia recently, and yeah buddy!