TN: 2018 Grosset Polish Hill Riesling

TN: 2018 Grosset Polish Hill Riesling: This was recommended to me quite some time ago in the Riesling thread by someone, I forget who. And I’ve also heard it mentioned as one of Australia’s best producers elsewhere. Light in color, straw-like. On the nose, green apple, lime, pear and a very interesting note of that pine soap many used in the 70’s to clean floors with. That also follows through on the palate. Petroleum. This is bone dry and so perfectly balanced. Great cut and winemaking here, holding back the racy acidity just a tad to keep it from going full austere. There’s just a hint of tannins, too. This is very, very nice. Clean like a dip in a mountain stream. One of the best true dry Rieslings I’ve had from the New World and my first Australian one. Bravo. 94pts

Well, Adam… this sounds like a classic Grosset Riesling. Put some away for 10-25 yrs and you’ll have something absolutely amazing. Trust me on this. Can you say “petrol”??
Tom

I have only had a handful of these and they are truly world class - but in such a different style than the ones out of old world areas. That ‘gatorade-like’ lemon/lime slate quality is simply so unique, and so refreshing . . .

Cheers

Def getting more and gonna try to keep one tucked away! It’s pricy stuff, tho!

One nice thing is that it’s under screwcap, so there’s very little concern with putting just one bottle away for long aging. I usually try to avoid that with cork.

It’s fairly pricey for us by Riesling standards, but it is still an absolute bargain when compared with the top of the tree wines from other varieties.
Geoffrey Grosset’s commitment to screw caps in the early 2000s was a big factor in their quick uptake in Australia too. Because he was prepared to go with them, a lot of others were prepared to follow.
While I have a few Grossets tucked away and I drink a reasonable amount from the Clare and Eden valleys, my personal favorite Australian Riesling is made by Crawford River in the Henty region, and I find myself buying more from both Canberra and and Western Australia these days.

Thanks Paul! I want to try more Aussie Rieslings, so I’ll see if I can get my dirty little paws on some of that Crawford River stuff.

Yes, Grosset Polish Hill is a great place to start. The Watervale is a bit less austere and approachable young.
Other Clare Rieslings to look out for, many are less expensive
Pikes Merle
Rieslingfreak
Clos Clare
Jim Barry Lodge Hill
O’Leary Walker Polish Hill
Tim Adams

Crawford River from Henty is always top notch and I do like Nick O’Leary Riesling from Canberra. Also there are some fine Rieslings from Eden Valley, I especially like Rieslingfreak No4.

Think this might have been me. Grosset Polish Hill is an awesome bottle of wine. I’ve never had a mature bottle but it is something I will look for. I’m glad you enjoyed the wine.

Kent, I think Florita is a big step up from Lodge Hill. One of the truly great vineyards in Oz. I’ve just been through a case of the 05 and 09 and they’re both excellent with lots more improvement in them.

Cheers

Mike

Agreed Mike - slip of the memory!! The Lodge Hill is still tidy for the money.

One of the very few Oz wines I buy regularly. Great wine; great winery in a beautiful place; everything to love about Grosset. Older vintages can also be picked up at auctions too here in Aotearoa/New Zealand. I’ve really enjoyed the wines from a more recent vineyard, Alea, with a first vintage in 2012. It’s more approachable but has that great balance of searing acidity and lime freshness. Not every body likes the style of these wines but they are very much of their place. It could never be mistaken for an Alsace or German riesling.

Absolutely. Cheap as chips too

I’m glad you enjoy this and didn’t find it too austere, Adam. I had the 2019 earlier this year and found it incredibly austere and tight. 2018 could be a different story, but I’m definitely not looking to try it again without extensive cellaring. Fortunately in Australia it is not that hard to find older vintages on the secondary market. Will have to look for one soon…

Any thoughts on drinking windows for the 2011? I’ve had a half case in storage for a bit and know that I’m better going long than short, but would 2025 put them in a good place for opening? Appreciate any views.

The 05 is looking good now, the 02 is still quite young

While that vintage had extreme challenges, anywhere from 2022 to 2025 would be a good window from my earlier experience