2016 Shafer Hillside Select Offer

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Curtis Chen
Posts: 1108
Joined: June 27th, 2013, 9:30 pm

2016 Shafer Hillside Select Offer

#1 Post by Curtis Chen » June 29th, 2020, 9:27 am

Just got the email from Shafer this morning. Priced at $300 and $625 for 750ml and magnum, respectively.

Bottle limit is 12 for the standard 750ml, one for magnum.
Add me on CellarTracker: C Chen

User avatar
JohnP
Posts: 407
Joined: August 14th, 2017, 10:35 pm

Re: 2016 Shafer Hillside Select Offer

#2 Post by JohnP » June 29th, 2020, 9:31 am

Anyone else onboard? AG's review of this wine was pretty epic and helped me pull the trigger this morning. Order in! [dance2.gif]
John Pollard

Jeff_M.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 643
Joined: July 18th, 2019, 7:39 am
Location: SoCal

Re: 2016 Shafer Hillside Select Offer

#3 Post by Jeff_M. » June 29th, 2020, 9:41 am

Price is down $10 per bottle but I am going to hold off. I think I can do better using a $100 off $300 wine.com code and get this for closer to $200 per with free shipping. I don't see Shafer selling out of HSS in this economy.
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates
2007 Yangarra Estate High Sands Grenache
1986 Spottswoode Cabernet

Philip G
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 418
Joined: January 4th, 2019, 3:04 pm
Location: Denver

Re: 2016 Shafer Hillside Select Offer

#4 Post by Philip G » June 29th, 2020, 10:56 am

Jeff_M. wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 9:41 am
Price is down $10 per bottle but I am going to hold off. I think I can do better using a $100 off $300 wine.com code and get this for closer to $200 per with free shipping. I don't see Shafer selling out of HSS in this economy.
That has worked for me as well in the past, have picked up recent vintages for about $220, but this is a WA AND Vinous Hundo. The 2012 and 2010 HS Hundos are selling for over $300 W-S. I would think these will be .97s on wine.com.
Chip G@@d

User avatar
Gabe Berk
Posts: 289
Joined: October 24th, 2018, 9:51 am

Re: 2016 Shafer Hillside Select Offer

#5 Post by Gabe Berk » June 29th, 2020, 11:35 am

Was at a high school sports booster crab feed/auction in January. One of the items was a magnum of HSS 2015. Winning bid was $150?!!! Kicked myself in the butt for not seeing it earlier. The parents were much more knowledgeable about circle change ups and weak side defense than wine. [wow.gif]

Juliec
Posts: 173
Joined: August 16th, 2019, 3:57 pm

Re: 2016 Shafer Hillside Select Offer

#6 Post by Juliec » June 29th, 2020, 11:58 am

Okay for those that were around for the 2010 and 2012, does it sell out during the offer period? Sharing of buying strategies would be helpful as well. Do you load up on the special years and then dial down on the other years to just a few bottles. Thoughts about 2016 to 2019 vintages? 2012 and 2013 were both pretty years, then 14-15 were still good ones too.
hong

Jeff_M.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 643
Joined: July 18th, 2019, 7:39 am
Location: SoCal

Re: 2016 Shafer Hillside Select Offer

#7 Post by Jeff_M. » June 29th, 2020, 12:14 pm

Philip G wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 10:56 am
Jeff_M. wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 9:41 am
Price is down $10 per bottle but I am going to hold off. I think I can do better using a $100 off $300 wine.com code and get this for closer to $200 per with free shipping. I don't see Shafer selling out of HSS in this economy.
That has worked for me as well in the past, have picked up recent vintages for about $220, but this is a WA AND Vinous Hundo. The 2012 and 2010 HS Hundos are selling for over $300 W-S. I would think these will be .97s on wine.com.
That would be a bummer if they did slap the bottles with .97 instead of .99 so we can use the codes. I guess I would just fully pass on the wine if that is the case. Even with a double 100 score I truly don't see this wine selling out at $300 a bottle in this economy. I've routinely seen HSS at Costco in NorCal for sale.
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates
2007 Yangarra Estate High Sands Grenache
1986 Spottswoode Cabernet

User avatar
Michael O'Brien
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1132
Joined: August 21st, 2009, 8:27 am
Location: Plano, TX

Re: 2016 Shafer Hillside Select Offer

#8 Post by Michael O'Brien » June 29th, 2020, 12:19 pm

They lost me after the release price passed $250. There are a lot of great wines out there that cost less.
PlanoWino

User avatar
Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1451
Joined: July 31st, 2018, 9:49 am
Location: MA / FL

Re: 2016 Shafer Hillside Select Offer

#9 Post by Jim Stewart » June 29th, 2020, 2:43 pm

I have heard this wine is great, but it is too pricey for me. Instead I bought a few bottles of the 2016 One Point Five. A good vintage and the first vintage of this with 100% Cabernet Sauvignon. I have previously tasted only the 2004 One Point Five which was wonderful I thought. I can only imagine what the Hillside Select must be like!
Age merely shows what children we remain.
-Goethe

User avatar
Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3730
Joined: March 12th, 2013, 7:32 am

Re: 2016 Shafer Hillside Select Offer

#10 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » June 29th, 2020, 2:51 pm

Juliec wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 11:58 am
Okay for those that were around for the 2010 and 2012, does it sell out during the offer period? Sharing of buying strategies would be helpful as well. Do you load up on the special years and then dial down on the other years to just a few bottles. Thoughts about 2016 to 2019 vintages? 2012 and 2013 were both pretty years, then 14-15 were still good ones too.
I bought 2008-2010, but then like others, dropped them after they got too expensive. They will sell out, but there's plenty of inventory of past vintages available. For example, I paid $266 for the 2008 which you can now purchase for $250.

Lonnie F.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 390
Joined: November 26th, 2017, 12:26 pm

Re: 2016 Shafer Hillside Select Offer

#11 Post by Lonnie F. » June 29th, 2020, 2:57 pm

Jim Stewart wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 2:43 pm
I have heard this wine is great, but it is too pricey for me. Instead I bought a few bottles of the 2016 One Point Five. A good vintage and the first vintage of this with 100% Cabernet Sauvignon. I have previously tasted only the 2004 One Point Five which was wonderful I thought. I can only imagine what the Hillside Select must be like!
I like the One Point Five.
Lonnie Fuller

Lonnie F.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 390
Joined: November 26th, 2017, 12:26 pm

Re: 2016 Shafer Hillside Select Offer

#12 Post by Lonnie F. » June 29th, 2020, 2:59 pm

Wine.com has the Hillside Select at 309.99 shipping to MD.
Lonnie Fuller

User avatar
Joe B
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 9523
Joined: October 28th, 2012, 2:40 pm
Location: North Burbs Chicago Illinois

Re: 2016 Shafer Hillside Select Offer

#13 Post by Joe B » June 29th, 2020, 3:12 pm

Jeff_M. wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 12:14 pm
Philip G wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 10:56 am
Jeff_M. wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 9:41 am
Price is down $10 per bottle but I am going to hold off. I think I can do better using a $100 off $300 wine.com code and get this for closer to $200 per with free shipping. I don't see Shafer selling out of HSS in this economy.
That has worked for me as well in the past, have picked up recent vintages for about $220, but this is a WA AND Vinous Hundo. The 2012 and 2010 HS Hundos are selling for over $300 W-S. I would think these will be .97s on wine.com.
That would be a bummer if they did slap the bottles with .97 instead of .99 so we can use the codes.
What exactly does this mean?

I know I will be in for between 1 and 6 bottles but have a month to decide I guess. Did anybody actually review this vintage?
J W@ll @ce

User avatar
blarmston
Posts: 590
Joined: February 24th, 2016, 10:18 am

Re: 2016 Shafer Hillside Select Offer

#14 Post by blarmston » June 29th, 2020, 4:20 pm

Wines ending in $0.97 are excluded from all the juicy wine.com deals that they run.
-Brian Armston

Philip G
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 418
Joined: January 4th, 2019, 3:04 pm
Location: Denver

Re: 2016 Shafer Hillside Select Offer

#15 Post by Philip G » June 29th, 2020, 4:29 pm

Joe B wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 3:12 pm
Jeff_M. wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 12:14 pm
Philip G wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 10:56 am


That has worked for me as well in the past, have picked up recent vintages for about $220, but this is a WA AND Vinous Hundo. The 2012 and 2010 HS Hundos are selling for over $300 W-S. I would think these will be .97s on wine.com.
That would be a bummer if they did slap the bottles with .97 instead of .99 so we can use the codes.
What exactly does this mean?

I know I will be in for between 1 and 6 bottles but have a month to decide I guess. Did anybody actually review this vintage?
The .97 on wine.com means the price ends in .97 and coupons don't apply, like $399.97. Wine Advocate's Lisa Perrotti-Brown and Vinous Antonio Galloni gave the '16 100 points. Don't know about Jeb Dunnuck but he's usually a few points higher so probably 102 ;-)

If they don't put .97 on the '16 you might still be able to get a better deal on singles even with the wine.com markup since it seems unlikely they'd mark it up over $400. You never know though, the 2010 is on there for $450.

This is definitely at the edge of my comfort level...
Chip G@@d

C. Keller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 194
Joined: March 31st, 2018, 6:19 am

Re: 2016 Shafer Hillside Select Offer

#16 Post by C. Keller » June 29th, 2020, 5:00 pm

I found it interesting that I got an offer today but have never purchased a single bottle from them.
Chris

User avatar
Joe B
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 9523
Joined: October 28th, 2012, 2:40 pm
Location: North Burbs Chicago Illinois

Re: 2016 Shafer Hillside Select Offer

#17 Post by Joe B » June 29th, 2020, 5:44 pm

Philip G wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 4:29 pm
Joe B wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 3:12 pm
Jeff_M. wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 12:14 pm


That would be a bummer if they did slap the bottles with .97 instead of .99 so we can use the codes.
What exactly does this mean?

I know I will be in for between 1 and 6 bottles but have a month to decide I guess. Did anybody actually review this vintage?
The .97 on wine.com means the price ends in .97 and coupons don't apply, like $399.97. Wine Advocate's Lisa Perrotti-Brown and Vinous Antonio Galloni gave the '16 100 points. Don't know about Jeb Dunnuck but he's usually a few points higher so probably 102 ;-)

If they don't put .97 on the '16 you might still be able to get a better deal on singles even with the wine.com markup since it seems unlikely they'd mark it up over $400. You never know though, the 2010 is on there for $450.

This is definitely at the edge of my comfort level...
Thanks Philip. That was a great explanation.
J W@ll @ce

User avatar
Ken Strauss
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5112
Joined: November 22nd, 2015, 9:03 am
Location: Sunny South Florida

Re: 2016 Shafer Hillside Select Offer

#18 Post by Ken Strauss » June 29th, 2020, 5:56 pm

I was buying for many years retail. I got on the list in 2001 and purchased every year until last year. I thought I had enough.
When I didn’t buy the 2015 I thought I was done. However with the price drop and 100 point rating I think I will buy 6 with the $1 shipping. Always loved the wine and great people also.

A few years ago we visited with my daughter. Even though you are only allowed one extra they made an exception for my daughter.
A terrific tasting!
Love the wine and the family.
"Explaining is not supporting."

"Independence is a state of mind"

User avatar
Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3004
Joined: March 10th, 2010, 8:24 pm
Location: Cleveland

Re: 2016 Shafer Hillside Select Offer

#19 Post by Robert M yers » June 29th, 2020, 6:02 pm

Is this the first time a CA cab has a price drop?

User avatar
larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 8172
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 9:26 am
Location: Santa Ynez Valley, CA

Re: 2016 Shafer Hillside Select Offer

#20 Post by larry schaffer » June 29th, 2020, 9:20 pm

[popcorn.gif]
larry schaffer
tercero wines

NickRut
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 847
Joined: June 10th, 2016, 5:00 pm

Re: 2016 Shafer Hillside Select Offer

#21 Post by NickRut » June 30th, 2020, 3:21 am

Rare to see a triple hundred point wine (JD/AG/LPB) but not many large production 300 dollar American wines are selling out these days. Would be a buyer at 250 but 300 plus tax is out of my comfort zone these days.
Rutkowski

User avatar
Steve L Gellman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1557
Joined: February 12th, 2009, 11:18 am

Re: 2016 Shafer Hillside Select Offer

#22 Post by Steve L Gellman » June 30th, 2020, 3:55 am

Shafer HSS and Scarecrow are two wines I’m really not comfortable with their price points but I love the wines and buy yearly. Definitely a stretch for my budget but worth it for me

roybehr
Posts: 37
Joined: July 1st, 2018, 9:42 pm

Re: 2016 Shafer Hillside Select Offer

#23 Post by roybehr » June 30th, 2020, 1:43 pm

It was a different time, obviously, but I recall that the 2010 sold out pretty quickly after it got a 100 from Parker and 99 from AG.

User avatar
lleichtman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1556
Joined: June 28th, 2014, 6:28 pm
Location: Santa Fe NM

Re: 2016 Shafer Hillside Select Offer

#24 Post by lleichtman » June 30th, 2020, 3:57 pm

Juliec wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 11:58 am
Okay for those that were around for the 2010 and 2012, does it sell out during the offer period? Sharing of buying strategies would be helpful as well. Do you load up on the special years and then dial down on the other years to just a few bottles. Thoughts about 2016 to 2019 vintages? 2012 and 2013 were both pretty years, then 14-15 were still good ones too.
Don't know about 10 but 12 did not sell out on original offer. Bought it for 30% less with free shipping. Still haven't opened it.
Lawrence G. Leichtman

User avatar
David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7474
Joined: August 16th, 2009, 6:03 pm
Location: Maryland

Re: 2016 Shafer Hillside Select Offer

#25 Post by David Glasser » July 1st, 2020, 11:41 am

I love Shafer HS but started losing interest in buying >$200 and dropped off the list somewhere around $250. It may have been the last mailing list I dropped - that or SQN. I haven’t found that much difference between the 100-pointers and the 98-pointers in the glass.

I’ll admit that looking at the value of a wine appreciate while it’s sitting in the cellar is pleasurable, but not enough to motivate a purchase. Do points still drive value in the secondary market for Napa Cab when the wine is fairly widely available?

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”