TN: 2001 Dönnhoff Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel

A fresh, fruity, and floral nose with Nahe fruit salad, white flowers, honey, and red soil. It is juicy and ripe on the palate: Baroque, but with great balance. More juicy fruit, well balanced RS and acid, and a real sense of Hermannshoehle soil. The acid carries its opulent frame well. As I age I tend to enjoy more Kabinett and Spatlese for drinking than auslese, but this has lovely balance and a sense of power coupled with elegance. Youthful still. It held up for around a week in the fridge with little if any change. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Which AP number, 17 or 18?

AP number 17

I was prompted to pop this based on your recent TN of the '01 Dellchen. I wasn’t aware there were two bottlings of NHA in '01. Thanks for the heads up.

I don’t think I’ve had the 2001 yet, but I thought the 2017 that I had towards the end of last year was just outstanding. I’ll have to look for some '01s.

I have notes up from recent bottles.

If you don’t already own it, then it’s highly unlikely you will find any. 2001 Dönnhoff was the subject of desperate searches of the marketplace even back in 2002/2003.

Hi David,

Good catch regarding the AP#'s. I could be mistaken, but I am pretty sure #17 and #18 are the same wine.

Cheers, Dale

Having tasted both over the course of 2 days I doubt it. Owned since release with the same source and storage, they are very different wines.