Where's The 2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne BdB?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Message
Author
Michael S. Monie
Posts: 4184
Joined: May 14th, 2013, 7:36 am

Where's The 2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne BdB?

#1 Post by Michael S. Monie » June 28th, 2020, 9:58 am

A couple of offers on pre-release going back a few months. What is keeping this from being released?
" A person who is proud of their intelligence, is like a prisoner who is proud of their spacious cell." Simone Weil

User avatar
Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 14680
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Jersey City

Re: Where's The 2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne BdB?

#2 Post by Jay Miller » June 28th, 2020, 10:09 am

Mark G had posted a while ago that the release was being delayed until October.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Michael S. Monie
Posts: 4184
Joined: May 14th, 2013, 7:36 am

Re: Where's The 2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne BdB?

#3 Post by Michael S. Monie » June 28th, 2020, 10:12 am

Jay Miller wrote:
June 28th, 2020, 10:09 am
Mark G had posted a while ago that the release was being delayed until October.
Anyone know why? Can't see the economy improving in the short term.
" A person who is proud of their intelligence, is like a prisoner who is proud of their spacious cell." Simone Weil

User avatar
Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5278
Joined: February 1st, 2009, 6:25 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Where's The 2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne BdB?

#4 Post by Kris Patten » June 28th, 2020, 10:41 am

Combination of not ready, as it was still sitting on lees early this year and Covid not allowing people to gather and bottle on that kind of scale for business.
ITB

User avatar
William Kelley
Posts: 2075
Joined: June 4th, 2014, 1:36 am
Location: London, Calistoga & Beaune

Re: Where's The 2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne BdB?

#5 Post by William Kelley » June 28th, 2020, 10:46 am

Yeah, Taittinger was pretty much shut down entirely for a couple of months this Spring.
The Wine Advocate

YLee
Posts: 1872
Joined: September 20th, 2018, 8:09 am

Re: Where's The 2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne BdB?

#6 Post by YLee » June 28th, 2020, 11:46 am

Only 3 shops but Ws pro shows $195+ worldwide. Wow.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Michael S. Monie
Posts: 4184
Joined: May 14th, 2013, 7:36 am

Re: Where's The 2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne BdB?

#7 Post by Michael S. Monie » June 28th, 2020, 12:49 pm

It will be interesting to see if those who usually buy are willing to spend that amount. For my money, I'll go with the 2013 Peters Chetilions for 2/3 the price.
" A person who is proud of their intelligence, is like a prisoner who is proud of their spacious cell." Simone Weil

User avatar
Mark Morrissette
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 253
Joined: January 27th, 2017, 7:26 am
Location: Falmouth, Maine

Re: Where's The 2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne BdB?

#8 Post by Mark Morrissette » June 28th, 2020, 12:56 pm

I was there in mid-February. At that point, they told me they expected release to happen late-March or early-April. Obviously, that did not happen... The tasting room representative said he expected the release price to be the same as 2007. Hopefully that does happen (but I am not counting on it...).

A Willi@mson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 26
Joined: January 4th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Re: Where's The 2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne BdB?

#9 Post by A Willi@mson » June 29th, 2020, 4:21 am

There is a considerable amount of unsold 06 and 07 in the system (certainly in Europe). I think the closure of restaurants meant that demand wasn’t what Taittinger had hoped for.

User avatar
Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 14680
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Jersey City

Re: Where's The 2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne BdB?

#10 Post by Jay Miller » June 29th, 2020, 7:01 am

A Willi@mson wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 4:21 am
There is a considerable amount of unsold 06 and 07 in the system (certainly in Europe). I think the closure of restaurants meant that demand wasn’t what Taittinger had hoped for.
Might bode well for 2008 pricing
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Andrew M
Posts: 166
Joined: July 4th, 2019, 8:14 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: Where's The 2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne BdB?

#11 Post by Andrew M » June 29th, 2020, 7:42 am

Just my opinion, with all that’s going on in the world, I think it would be crazy to assume that the lowest price you’ll see in the US on release is $195. Comtes is historically a value tete de cuvee, is not supply constrained like Salon (although I don’t know what their relative yields in 2008 were), and does not appear to be experiencing a sudden and dramatic surge in interest. There is nothing to justify a 50-60% increase in price from a moderate QPR 2007. It’s a highly anticipated release among a small minority of wine nerds. Maybe that drives it up to $140 or $150. As in all cases, pick your spots and you should be able to grab it for less than the initial release price. I think Barolo 2016 is a decent corollary and prices are up 5-10% from 2015 if you discard the most opportunistic retailers.
M @ k $ ! m ø v ! ç

User avatar
Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6444
Joined: May 2nd, 2010, 11:17 pm
Location: Santa Barbara

Re: Where's The 2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne BdB?

#12 Post by Blake Brown » June 29th, 2020, 7:48 am

Michael S. Monie wrote:
June 28th, 2020, 12:49 pm
It will be interesting to see if those who usually buy are willing to spend that amount. For my money, I'll go with the 2013 Peters Chetilions for 2/3 the price.
Good point and analogy. I'll probably have to go for both.
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

User avatar
Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6908
Joined: May 29th, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: Where's The 2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne BdB?

#13 Post by Mark Golodetz » June 29th, 2020, 7:51 am

There was a general excitement when many ‘08s were released. The late release here may mean they have lost some momentum. I expect a UK price of $125-130.

I expect it to be higher here.
ITB

User avatar
Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3728
Joined: March 12th, 2013, 7:32 am

Re: Where's The 2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne BdB?

#14 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » June 29th, 2020, 3:06 pm

Have they ever priced north of Dom? That would be bold...

User avatar
William Kelley
Posts: 2075
Joined: June 4th, 2014, 1:36 am
Location: London, Calistoga & Beaune

Re: Where's The 2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne BdB?

#15 Post by William Kelley » June 29th, 2020, 3:46 pm

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 3:06 pm
Have they ever priced north of Dom? That would be bold...
Why? It's smaller production and often better.
The Wine Advocate

User avatar
Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3728
Joined: March 12th, 2013, 7:32 am

Re: Where's The 2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne BdB?

#16 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » June 29th, 2020, 4:27 pm

William Kelley wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 3:46 pm
Sc0tt F!tzger@ld wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 3:06 pm
Have they ever priced north of Dom? That would be bold...
Why? It's smaller production and often better.
Not questioning if it's better. Speculating that:

1. Most high-end bottles of champagne aren't consumed by wine geeks
2. A lot of these bottles are special "splurges" at restaurants, wine bars, etc.
3. Taittinger CdC doesn't have near the name recognition that Dom has
4. Pricing over Dom might result in a hard sell to folks outside of the wine enthusiast community

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1325
Joined: December 21st, 2013, 3:16 pm
Location: New York

Re: Where's The 2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne BdB?

#17 Post by Greg K » June 29th, 2020, 4:45 pm

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 4:27 pm
William Kelley wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 3:46 pm
Sc0tt F!tzger@ld wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 3:06 pm
Have they ever priced north of Dom? That would be bold...
Why? It's smaller production and often better.
Not questioning if it's better. Speculating that:

1. Most high-end bottles of champagne aren't consumed by wine geeks
2. A lot of these bottles are special "splurges" at restaurants, wine bars, etc.
3. Taittinger CdC doesn't have near the name recognition that Dom has
4. Pricing over Dom might result in a hard sell to folks outside of the wine enthusiast community
There is plenty of champagne that's priced above Dom and has no trouble selling despite extremely limited popular name recognition. Salon does just fine. champagne.gif
Greg Kahn

User avatar
Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3728
Joined: March 12th, 2013, 7:32 am

Re: Where's The 2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne BdB?

#18 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » June 29th, 2020, 4:48 pm

Greg K wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 4:45 pm
Sc0tt F!tzger@ld wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 4:27 pm
William Kelley wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 3:46 pm


Why? It's smaller production and often better.
Not questioning if it's better. Speculating that:

1. Most high-end bottles of champagne aren't consumed by wine geeks
2. A lot of these bottles are special "splurges" at restaurants, wine bars, etc.
3. Taittinger CdC doesn't have near the name recognition that Dom has
4. Pricing over Dom might result in a hard sell to folks outside of the wine enthusiast community
There is plenty of champagne that's priced above Dom and has no trouble selling despite extremely limited popular name recognition. Salon does just fine. champagne.gif
Sure, who knows. I bet Salon's production is well south of CdC. Unless the pricing is ridiculous, count me as a buyer!

User avatar
William Kelley
Posts: 2075
Joined: June 4th, 2014, 1:36 am
Location: London, Calistoga & Beaune

Re: Where's The 2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne BdB?

#19 Post by William Kelley » June 29th, 2020, 5:09 pm

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 4:48 pm

Sure, who knows. I bet Salon's production is well south of CdC. Unless the pricing is ridiculous, count me as a buyer!
Right, hard to know what the true numbers are, but CdC, while a multiple of Salon's production, is well below 1 million bottles, whereas even conservative estimates of DP would have it over 5 million.
The Wine Advocate

User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18867
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Where's The 2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne BdB?

#20 Post by Howard Cooper » June 29th, 2020, 6:21 pm

We are all eagerly anticipating the 2008 CdC. Just one little question - has anyone tasted it. Does it live up to this hype? Is it better than other vintages this decade?
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

crickey
Posts: 516
Joined: August 3rd, 2009, 2:59 pm

Re: Where's The 2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne BdB?

#21 Post by crickey » June 29th, 2020, 6:33 pm

Does anyone include the guy from the Wine Advocate chiming in on this thread? He seemed to like it.
Chri$ Ri¢k€y

Mike Hawkins
Posts: 254
Joined: May 5th, 2013, 7:25 am

Re: Where's The 2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne BdB?

#22 Post by Mike Hawkins » June 29th, 2020, 6:41 pm

Howard Cooper wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 6:21 pm
We are all eagerly anticipating the 2008 CdC. Just one little question - has anyone tasted it. Does it live up to this hype? Is it better than other vintages this decade?
Yes and yes. It’s superb. At least as good as the 95 and 96 at the same age

User avatar
Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6908
Joined: May 29th, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: Where's The 2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne BdB?

#23 Post by Mark Golodetz » June 30th, 2020, 4:23 am

Mike Hawkins wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 6:41 pm
Howard Cooper wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 6:21 pm
We are all eagerly anticipating the 2008 CdC. Just one little question - has anyone tasted it. Does it live up to this hype? Is it better than other vintages this decade?
Yes and yes. It’s superb. At least as good as the 95 and 96 at the same age
That is a pretty high bar.
ITB

User avatar
William Kelley
Posts: 2075
Joined: June 4th, 2014, 1:36 am
Location: London, Calistoga & Beaune

Re: Where's The 2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne BdB?

#24 Post by William Kelley » June 30th, 2020, 6:17 am

crickey wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 6:33 pm
Does anyone include the guy from the Wine Advocate chiming in on this thread? He seemed to like it.
Yes, I really did like it! For me, one of the very best 2008 Champagnes from the big houses, and it's built for the very long haul. I tasted / drank it again in France this Spring from the commercial disgorgement and my high opinion is unchanged from the note you may have seen published last year.
The Wine Advocate

User avatar
Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6444
Joined: May 2nd, 2010, 11:17 pm
Location: Santa Barbara

Re: Where's The 2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne BdB?

#25 Post by Blake Brown » June 30th, 2020, 7:19 am

William Kelley wrote:
June 30th, 2020, 6:17 am
crickey wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 6:33 pm
Does anyone include the guy from the Wine Advocate chiming in on this thread? He seemed to like it.
Yes, I really did like it! For me, one of the very best 2008 Champagnes from the big houses, and it's built for the very long haul. I tasted / drank it again in France this Spring from the commercial disgorgement and my high opinion is unchanged from the note you may have seen published last year.
How do you compare it to the 06` at this early stage William?
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

User avatar
Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 14680
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Jersey City

Re: Where's The 2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne BdB?

#26 Post by Jay Miller » June 30th, 2020, 7:39 am

Mark Golodetz wrote:
June 30th, 2020, 4:23 am
Mike Hawkins wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 6:41 pm
Howard Cooper wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 6:21 pm
We are all eagerly anticipating the 2008 CdC. Just one little question - has anyone tasted it. Does it live up to this hype? Is it better than other vintages this decade?
Yes and yes. It’s superb. At least as good as the 95 and 96 at the same age
That is a pretty high bar.

Yes, wow. I often regret not having laid down any 1995. I opened my 2 bottles from Premier Cru early on and misguidedly believed that anything which tasted so good so early wasn't going to age as well.

Lesson learned.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

User avatar
William Kelley
Posts: 2075
Joined: June 4th, 2014, 1:36 am
Location: London, Calistoga & Beaune

Re: Where's The 2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne BdB?

#27 Post by William Kelley » June 30th, 2020, 8:55 am

Blake Brown wrote:
June 30th, 2020, 7:19 am
William Kelley wrote:
June 30th, 2020, 6:17 am
crickey wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 6:33 pm
Does anyone include the guy from the Wine Advocate chiming in on this thread? He seemed to like it.
Yes, I really did like it! For me, one of the very best 2008 Champagnes from the big houses, and it's built for the very long haul. I tasted / drank it again in France this Spring from the commercial disgorgement and my high opinion is unchanged from the note you may have seen published last year.
How do you compare it to the 06` at this early stage William?
Pretty much as you'd expect: not as broad or rich, more tightly wound, incisive, and concentrated. I'd drink the 2006 over the next decade and then start on the 2008.
The Wine Advocate

User avatar
Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6444
Joined: May 2nd, 2010, 11:17 pm
Location: Santa Barbara

Re: Where's The 2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne BdB?

#28 Post by Blake Brown » June 30th, 2020, 10:11 am

William Kelley wrote:
June 30th, 2020, 8:55 am
Blake Brown wrote:
June 30th, 2020, 7:19 am
William Kelley wrote:
June 30th, 2020, 6:17 am


Yes, I really did like it! For me, one of the very best 2008 Champagnes from the big houses, and it's built for the very long haul. I tasted / drank it again in France this Spring from the commercial disgorgement and my high opinion is unchanged from the note you may have seen published last year.
How do you compare it to the 06` at this early stage William?
Pretty much as you'd expect: not as broad or rich, more tightly wound, incisive, and concentrated. I'd drink the 2006 over the next decade and then start on the 2008.
Kind of figured that. It's like the 08` Cristal vs. the 09`.
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

YLee
Posts: 1872
Joined: September 20th, 2018, 8:09 am

Re: Where's The 2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne BdB?

#29 Post by YLee » June 30th, 2020, 10:45 am

Mike and William is making me want to increase my purchase on the '08 taittinger
-¥ 0 ñ 9

User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18867
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Where's The 2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne BdB?

#30 Post by Howard Cooper » June 30th, 2020, 5:32 pm

William Kelley wrote:
June 30th, 2020, 6:17 am
crickey wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 6:33 pm
Does anyone include the guy from the Wine Advocate chiming in on this thread? He seemed to like it.
Yes, I really did like it! For me, one of the very best 2008 Champagnes from the big houses, and it's built for the very long haul. I tasted / drank it again in France this Spring from the commercial disgorgement and my high opinion is unchanged from the note you may have seen published last year.
thanks.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18867
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Where's The 2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne BdB?

#31 Post by Howard Cooper » June 30th, 2020, 5:35 pm

YLee wrote:
June 30th, 2020, 10:45 am
Mike and William is making me want to increase my purchase on the '08 taittinger
Yes. It is kind of like I want to buy more bottles of the 2006 every time Blake posts a tasting note on it. pileon
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Jayson Cohen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2286
Joined: July 9th, 2016, 4:29 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: Where's The 2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne BdB?

#32 Post by Jayson Cohen » June 30th, 2020, 6:10 pm

I love Comtes. And 1995/1996 are tempting comparators. But it wasn’t too long ago that one could buy the stunning 2004 for $90-110 in the US.

I will look for sharp pricing or possibly to split a U.K. purchase. (Jay M?) Don’t think I can ultimately resist. The track record for early deliciousness and blossoming in bottle is too strong.

A Willi@mson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 26
Joined: January 4th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Re: Where's The 2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne BdB?

#33 Post by A Willi@mson » July 1st, 2020, 2:06 pm

There’s a real problem for Taittinger with Comtes. Quality is high and production is reasonably big (well over a large Bordeaux estate).

The wine is only sold to winos and restaurants. Never in airplanes (back when they were still a thing - imagine how much DomP Emirates got through daily pre-covid), never in nightclubs, never in random stores that keep an expensive bottle back for when someone comes in with money to burn... this means not enough gets drunk.

Taittinger are currently selling the 05, 06 and 07 through merchants onto the “secondary” market. That’s why UK merchant pricing is so homogenous across those vintages.

Until the marketing department get their act together, Comtes is doomed to be cheap and oversupplied to people like us.

C Heidsieck’s 12 straight vintage was just offered at the same price as 06 Comtes and above 07... at some point the ocean of undrunk Comtes will Start harming the rest of champagne’s ability to sell to fine wine drinkers

Mike Hawkins
Posts: 254
Joined: May 5th, 2013, 7:25 am

Re: Where's The 2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne BdB?

#34 Post by Mike Hawkins » July 1st, 2020, 2:27 pm

A Willi@mson wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 2:06 pm
There’s a real problem for Taittinger with Comtes. Quality is high and production is reasonably big (well over a large Bordeaux estate).

The wine is only sold to winos and restaurants. Never in airplanes (back when they were still a thing - imagine how much DomP Emirates got through daily pre-covid), never in nightclubs, never in random stores that keep an expensive bottle back for when someone comes in with money to burn... this means not enough gets drunk.

Taittinger are currently selling the 05, 06 and 07 through merchants onto the “secondary” market. That’s why UK merchant pricing is so homogenous across those vintages.

Until the marketing department get their act together, Comtes is doomed to be cheap and oversupplied to people like us.

C Heidsieck’s 12 straight vintage was just offered at the same price as 06 Comtes and above 07... at some point the ocean of undrunk Comtes will Start harming the rest of champagne’s ability to sell to fine wine drinkers
Not entirely true. A couple of observations.... Comtes has been served in Qantas First Class for many years and has helped that airline win many wine awards.

Secondly, Pierre Emmanuel has said on a few occasions (I’ve heard it directly from him) that he didn’t want to continually raise prices Like other French producers (a) to maintain customer loyalty ... and that isn’t the nightclub crowd and (b) as a byproduct of ‘a’ , to ensure these customers are retained so that the business in turn can remain in family hands.

That said, you make some very valid points.

Cheers

Mike

User avatar
Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6908
Joined: May 29th, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: Where's The 2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne BdB?

#35 Post by Mark Golodetz » July 1st, 2020, 2:31 pm

Dom Perignon 2010 is coming out at $185. Makes it easier for Kobrand to milk the US Taittinger market.
ITB

User avatar
R@y.Tupp@+sch
Posts: 2754
Joined: February 19th, 2009, 8:22 am

Re: Where's The 2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne BdB?

#36 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » July 1st, 2020, 2:41 pm

CdC's production is not "well over a large Bordeaux estate".

Also, not sure what you mean by "Comtes is doomed to be cheap and oversupplied to people like us".
Killer, Staggering, Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair, Poor ®

User avatar
Brad Baker
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1772
Joined: May 4th, 2009, 7:47 pm
Location: Motown, USA

Re: Where's The 2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne BdB?

#37 Post by Brad Baker » July 1st, 2020, 2:44 pm

In most recent vintages, Comtes production has been fairly steady at a production of around 500k-550k bottles of BdB and Rose combined with the BdB being the large majority. I think the consecutive releases of 2004, 2005, 2006 at high production volume + a decent volume of 2007 has put a lot of product in the market. Both the BdB and Rose were made in all four of these years. Taittinger also had a run of consecutive vintages from 1993-2000, but the Rose was not made in every year (no 94 and 98) and some years were very limited (94 and 97 BdB).

The supply in the market has been affecting Comtes for a little while now. They were behind in releasing the 2007 Comtes by almost two years and are now over two and a half years behind releasing the 2008 Comtes (vs. the original plan). I'm not saying that the wines are not benefiting from some of the extra time aging at the winery on/off the lees, but it will be interesting to see how the market demand treats the current supply. For my dollar, Comtes represents one of the great buys in Champagne and is a bargain at its often seen $100-$130 price point for currently released vintages.

*Edited to correctly state that 2007 Comtes is not at a high/full volume production level like 2004-2006.
Last edited by Brad Baker on July 1st, 2020, 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad Baker
The Champagne Warrior

YLee
Posts: 1872
Joined: September 20th, 2018, 8:09 am

Re: Where's The 2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne BdB?

#38 Post by YLee » July 1st, 2020, 2:50 pm

A Willi@mson wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 2:06 pm
There’s a real problem for Taittinger with Comtes. Quality is high and production is reasonably big (well over a large Bordeaux estate).

The wine is only sold to winos and restaurants. Never in airplanes (back when they were still a thing - imagine how much DomP Emirates got through daily pre-covid), never in nightclubs, never in random stores that keep an expensive bottle back for when someone comes in with money to burn... this means not enough gets drunk.

Taittinger are currently selling the 05, 06 and 07 through merchants onto the “secondary” market. That’s why UK merchant pricing is so homogenous across those vintages.

Until the marketing department get their act together, Comtes is doomed to be cheap and oversupplied to people like us.

C Heidsieck’s 12 straight vintage was just offered at the same price as 06 Comtes and above 07... at some point the ocean of undrunk Comtes will Start harming the rest of champagne’s ability to sell to fine wine drinkers
Dom is very popular in the night scene
-¥ 0 ñ 9

A Willi@mson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 26
Joined: January 4th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Re: Where's The 2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne BdB?

#39 Post by A Willi@mson » July 1st, 2020, 3:01 pm

Mike Hawkins wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 2:27 pm
Not entirely true. A couple of observations.... Comtes has been served in Qantas First Class for many years and has helped that airline win many wine awards.

Secondly, Pierre Emmanuel has said on a few occasions (I’ve heard it directly from him) that he didn’t want to continually raise prices Like other French producers (a) to maintain customer loyalty ... and that isn’t the nightclub crowd and (b) as a byproduct of ‘a’ , to ensure these customers are retained so that the business in turn can remain in family hands.

That said, you make some very valid points.

Cheers

Mike
Sorry you're quite right re:Qantas, but of course QF only flew a limited amount of first class (Essentially the A380s) and Comtes wasn't their only house fizz in F, they also served Grande Dame.

I don't understand how having 20+ UK merchants all up-to-their eyeballs in Comtes vintages initially released over 5 years ago is consistent with customer loyalty. It would certainly appear consistent with having only one distribution channel and not trying hard enough to help them to put product into the hands of people who drink it rather than park it in warehouses. Even this year Taittinger are actively trying to prevent the secondary market pricing of older Comtes being lower because they still want to sell the same wines and want a homogenous market price.

All is definitely not well with Comtes' distribution strategy. I love the wines but I know a broken business model when I see one.
Last edited by A Willi@mson on July 1st, 2020, 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A Willi@mson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 26
Joined: January 4th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Re: Where's The 2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne BdB?

#40 Post by A Willi@mson » July 1st, 2020, 3:04 pm

YLee wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 2:50 pm
Dom is very popular in the night scene
Yep, hence the "Luminous" glow in the dark bottlings (LVMH assure me it's exactly the same wine in there and they don't change the blend or dosage for the market). Certainly not for purists, but if you happen to be in a nightclub at 2am (in a different world to today), it's kinder to your tastebuds than tequila ...

A Willi@mson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 26
Joined: January 4th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Re: Where's The 2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne BdB?

#41 Post by A Willi@mson » July 1st, 2020, 3:10 pm

Howard Cooper wrote:
June 30th, 2020, 5:35 pm
Yes. It is kind of like I want to buy more bottles of the 2006 every time Blake posts a tasting note on it. pileon
The '06 Comtes blanc is absolutely brilliant, you should buy more. Came joint top with Cristal in a big '06 tete-de-cuvee horizontal I was at. It obliterated my bottle of Salon and (and admittedly not 100% pristine) Dom Ruinart in the BdB flight.

User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18867
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Where's The 2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne BdB?

#42 Post by Howard Cooper » July 1st, 2020, 4:56 pm

A Willi@mson wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 3:10 pm
Howard Cooper wrote:
June 30th, 2020, 5:35 pm
Yes. It is kind of like I want to buy more bottles of the 2006 every time Blake posts a tasting note on it. pileon
The '06 Comtes blanc is absolutely brilliant, you should buy more. Came joint top with Cristal in a big '06 tete-de-cuvee horizontal I was at. It obliterated my bottle of Salon and (and admittedly not 100% pristine) Dom Ruinart in the BdB flight.
I have bought "more" on several occasions.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

User avatar
Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6444
Joined: May 2nd, 2010, 11:17 pm
Location: Santa Barbara

Re: Where's The 2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne BdB?

#43 Post by Blake Brown » July 1st, 2020, 5:49 pm

Brad Baker wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 2:44 pm
For my dollar, Comtes represents one of the great buys in Champagne and is a bargain at its often seen $100-$130 price point for currently released vintages.
100% agree and I'm including the vintage rose as well.
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

User avatar
Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6444
Joined: May 2nd, 2010, 11:17 pm
Location: Santa Barbara

Re: Where's The 2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne BdB?

#44 Post by Blake Brown » July 1st, 2020, 5:50 pm

Howard Cooper wrote:
June 30th, 2020, 5:35 pm
YLee wrote:
June 30th, 2020, 10:45 am
Mike and William is making me want to increase my purchase on the '08 taittinger
Yes. It is kind of like I want to buy more bottles of the 2006 every time Blake posts a tasting note on it. pileon
Get ready Howard, more notes are forthcoming.
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

User avatar
Brad Baker
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1772
Joined: May 4th, 2009, 7:47 pm
Location: Motown, USA

Re: Where's The 2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne BdB?

#45 Post by Brad Baker » July 1st, 2020, 5:56 pm

Blake Brown wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 5:49 pm
Brad Baker wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 2:44 pm
For my dollar, Comtes represents one of the great buys in Champagne and is a bargain at its often seen $100-$130 price point for currently released vintages.
100% agree and I'm including the vintage rose as well.
Blake,

Absolutely. And, the upcharge from the BdB to Rose is lower both $-wise and %-wise than most other prestige cuvees.
Brad Baker
The Champagne Warrior

User avatar
Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6444
Joined: May 2nd, 2010, 11:17 pm
Location: Santa Barbara

Re: Where's The 2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne BdB?

#46 Post by Blake Brown » July 1st, 2020, 6:11 pm

Brad Baker wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 5:56 pm
Blake Brown wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 5:49 pm
Brad Baker wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 2:44 pm
For my dollar, Comtes represents one of the great buys in Champagne and is a bargain at its often seen $100-$130 price point for currently released vintages.
100% agree and I'm including the vintage rose as well.
Blake,

Absolutely. And, the upcharge from the BdB to Rose is lower both $-wise and %-wise than most other prestige cuvees.
Yep. I've got an 07` rose ready for the 4th. Every bottle has been stupendous. I may have to add an 06` BdB for some more TNs for Howard.
Last edited by Blake Brown on July 2nd, 2020, 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Michael S. Monie
Posts: 4184
Joined: May 14th, 2013, 7:36 am

Re: Where's The 2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne BdB?

#47 Post by Michael S. Monie » July 1st, 2020, 6:21 pm

Perhaps they should bottle the 2008 en magnum and package it with 750s of the 05, 06, and 07. [wow.gif]
" A person who is proud of their intelligence, is like a prisoner who is proud of their spacious cell." Simone Weil

User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18867
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Where's The 2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne BdB?

#48 Post by Howard Cooper » July 1st, 2020, 6:43 pm

Blake Brown wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 5:50 pm
Howard Cooper wrote:
June 30th, 2020, 5:35 pm
YLee wrote:
June 30th, 2020, 10:45 am
Mike and William is making me want to increase my purchase on the '08 taittinger
Yes. It is kind of like I want to buy more bottles of the 2006 every time Blake posts a tasting note on it. pileon
Get ready Howard, more notes are forthcoming.
champagne.gif [wow.gif]
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Michael Bowden
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5071
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:15 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Where's The 2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne BdB?

#49 Post by Michael Bowden » July 1st, 2020, 6:47 pm

Does Taittinger do a late release/RD/Oenotheque/P2/long vieillissement for the CdC?
I'm taller than Zach Lang.

It's Michael.....not Mike, Mark, Mick, Mikey...get it? got it? good.

Good fries are better than great tater tots.

User avatar
Brad Baker
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1772
Joined: May 4th, 2009, 7:47 pm
Location: Motown, USA

Re: Where's The 2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne BdB?

#50 Post by Brad Baker » July 1st, 2020, 7:07 pm

Michael Bowden wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 6:47 pm
Does Taittinger do a late release/RD/Oenotheque/P2/long vieillissement for the CdC?
Michael,

Yes, but it isn't advertised and is still more of a special request type of thing. Going back over a decade, there have been talks of launching something officially, but it hasn't happened yet. Historically, the Taittinger family really didn't hold a lot of wines back. They do have some (both disgorged and undisgorged), but for most vintages prior to 2000 (Maybe they could do a very limited release of some mid-90s vintages), they are not in quantities to take to market with an official release like a DP, Roederer, Clicquot, Bollinger, etc... I expect this will change at some point, but I thought that five years ago as well.
Brad Baker
The Champagne Warrior

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”