Champagne quiz #2 for you. Answers now posted.

Here`s one that is short and sweet, well maybe a Brut:

1] Which wine grower has had the largest impact in Champagne since Dom Perignon? Tip: he used wild yeasts for primary fermentation, refused to use sugar prior to fermentation, tried to avoid using sulphur and other additives that might compromise the unique character of the grapes and employed a solera system for the main cuvee among other quality control choices.

2] Who invented champagne?

3] Name the 3 ways rose champagne is made.

4] Which house is the oldest Champagne house?

5] Which winery is the oldest in Champagne?

6] What is a "Paris Pint?

As with the first one, please withhold your answers until they are posted so others may come up with their own.
Also, as before, I sourced Peter Liem, Jancis Robinson, David White, Yoko and Wikipedia for info for all of the quizzes of which there are at least 2 more.

Cheers,
Blake

That darn Paris Pint question again… That is my favorite from all the quizes.

Just put it in for you Brad. :smile:

Assume #2 is in its modern iteration?

See PM

Thanks!

Answers coming Wednesday, 7/1.

Answers to Quiz #2.

Please share how you did and offer any suggestions as to how it could have been done better.

Also, understand that I am taking information supplied in books and sources that include Peter Liem, David White, Jancis Robinson, Yoko, Wikipedia and others and my answers are only as accurate as that which comes from the authors and in a few instances, my interpretation of it. Thanks to many who have responded, we`re getting some corrections and additional info from some who are more informed and thus, a more complete learning experience which is what this is all about anyway.

It is my intention to post at least another champagne quiz, #3. Thanks for playing.

1] Which wine grower has had the largest impact in Champagne since Dom Perignon? Tips: he used wild yeasts for primary fermentation, refused to use sugar prior to fermentation, tried to avoid using sulphur and other additives that might compromise the unique character of the grapes and employed a solera system for the main cuvee among other quality control choices.

Anselme Sellose

2] Who invented champagne?

The main point of the question is to state that Dom Perignon was not the first to discover champagne even though many have credited him for such.
In 496, wines from the Champagne region were used for celebrations of victory. Wine sparkling in the cup was described in the Bible.
Monks in the French Pyrenees intentionally producer sparkling wine in 1531. In 1691, an English scientist, Christopher Merret added sugar to wine to get a secondary fermentation. Dom Perignon accidentally discovered the bubbles, “stars”, in 1697 and wanted to get rid of them. A 1713 inventory of his Abbey`s wines were devoid of any.

3] Name the 3 ways rose champagne is made.

1. rose d`assemblage- a small amount of red wine is added to give the white wine its color.
  2. rose de saignee- juice from dark skinned grapes is bled off within a few hours to days.
  3. A hybrid of the first 2, rose d`saignee is blended into a white wine.

4] Which house is the oldest Champagne house?

Ruinart 1729

5] Which winery is the oldest in Champagne?

Gosset 1584

6] What is a "Paris Pint?

In 1743, King Louis XV issued a decree which impacted the trading of champagne in that every bottle had to contain one Paris Pint = 750 milliliters and be tied down with a 3 threaded string, twisted and be knotted in the form of a cross over the cork.

Cheers,
Blake

Blake, thanks for posting these. I don’t know enough about Champagne to answer most of the questions, but it is a very fun way to learn more. champagne.gif

and for me too Joel- I’m getting some education reading the material and then from getting those more knowledgable on this board to chime in. In effect, I’m quizzing myself.

I’m pretty sure you have your 496 date inverted, Blake :slight_smile:. You mean 496 AD, I think, judging by the sources I just google checked… David White’s book mentions this.

Rome is mostly forced out of Northern Gaul as the empire disintegrates hence an opportunity to “celebrate.” 496 BC is, um, 1,000 years earlier and I’m reasonably sure all wine references in what sources survive are Mediterranean, Mesopotamian, or Persian.

You are correct and thanks for the call out and it was , in fact, David White`s book that I sourced all of this info from for the quiz. Thanks

Blake,

A question and a suggestion:

Question - what exactly is the difference between the questions and answers in 4 & 5?

Suggestion - for the next quiz, why not simply edit your first post to add in the answers under the questions?

First, you’re pretty awesome, so any time, Blake.

Second, my literal bat signal in this world is an opportunity to offer historical context to a world historical event, particularly as it pertains to the modern world…

Jorge, I understand your confusion about the verbiage used and if I had to do it all over again, I’d probably leave out one of the questions; nonetheless, the exact language was used as purported by each, Ruinart and Gosset.

Although the info came from David Whites book, here's what each houses website states:

As to providing the answers to the initial quiz, I agree and will edit them in. Subsequent posts after I provided the answers made it more difficult to locate them as I see it now. Thanks

Please feel free to add in your historical expertise and knowledge in any future threads Nick.

Haha, this is dangerous encouragement! I shall hopefully find the right moments to drop in…

These threads are fun. Champagne is good stuff.

Did you use Peter Liem’s book in this?

I made this quiz up 3 years ago after reading a number of books and believe most of this material for this one came from David White`s book.