2019 Germany - Initial Observations

For starters I am hearing yields were down and quantities coming to the U.S. are going to be extremely low. And despite all of this nonsense I keep hearing about how difficult it is to sell Riesling many of my favorite producers are going to sell out VERY quickly.

I was fortunate to taste a number of wines from the Vom Boden portfolio. I do not have notes on every individual wine so I will just go with generalizations about the vintage and a few specific producer comments. All wines tasted were from the Mosel.

Harmony is the word that comes to mind. Everything is in balance. Ripe fruit with ample acidity. Many growers have compared this vintage to 2001. It reminds me a bit of 2015. Based on what I have read I was worried that the acids might be too low for my liking. From what I tasted they are fine, but I could also see if a grower was not careful the ripeness could get away from them. For my personal tastes they could have a bit more acid, however, keep in mind I am acid freak.

Interestingly all wines tasted from dry to Auslese were fantastic.

I think this is a vintage to go deeper on entry-level wines because quality is so deep and quantities will be low.

Weiser-Künstler absolutely killed this vintage! I plan to buy all I can from entry-level on up. The Kabinett Trockens are a riesling geeks, geek wine.

Ulli Stein also did a fantastic job based on three wines I tried including the Blauschiefer. This wine is currently available and is a good early window into this vintage and this underrated producer.

Would love if others would add to this thread as they taste 2019s!

For reference - Martin has contributed a couple of very helpful observations which confirms my hunch to go deeper on the lower/mid-level type wines like the Emrich-Schonleber Mineral and Keller Von der Fels.

Thanks, Robert!

Johannes Selbach was very positive about 2019 on a Zoom call a few weeks ago. He said that he thought the balance was excellent, and that it was not a year where the acid stick out. That’s a positive for me, though I know some folks like the acidity be obvious.

That would be very consistent with what I tasted.

I’ve already opened about 40 bottles so far. Mostly Kabinett from Haart, Bollig, Schaefer, Keller, MF Richter, Falkenstein, Quint. I’m a fan.

Thanks.

Any specific observations on Julian Haart and Falkenstein?

Several already posted here and on wine pages. In short they are both excellent! I’ve tried quite a few Falkenstein and the MFW stars #11 and #14 really sang.

Julian Haart also excellent across the board. I haven’t opened the WO Alte Reben that just arrived yet, not the Concept Riesling special Alte Reben bottling (Kabis).

The Kabinett Trockens from Hofgut Falkenstein (Niedermenniger Sonnenberg AP 9 and Niedermenniger Herrenberg AP 1, AP 19) and Weiser-Künstler (Trabener Gaispfad) are just amazing wines. Irresistible after a lot of air.

Love the Weiser-Künstler Trabener Gaispfad Kabinett Trocken. Excited to to the Falkenstein.