TN: 1999 Evesham Wood Pinot Noir Cuvée J (USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley)

• 1999 Evesham Wood Pinot Noir Cuvée J - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (6/25/2020)
    Moss/ undergrowth, tilled earth, florals, and darker pinot fruit on the nose. Sappy and broad on the palate with more forest berry fruit, licorice, and more red than dark fruits on the palate. Some ferrous, savory notes add to the whole. Deep and supple with hidden power welling up over time. This has power coupled with grace. Some cedar notes on the back end. A serious, structured, yet graceful wine drinking at peak. I am a novice with regards to Oregon pinot, but this is a complicated, harmonious, structured wine showing very well. Count me impressed. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Awesome note Todd. I’ve got a long ways to go but look forward to seeing how my stash performs at this age.

That was a fantastic OR Pinot, I think I had my last one in 2019. The Seven Springs was also fantastic that year.

Truth, though that could be said for almost any year from 1999-2005 which is about the last year I can remember tasting. Not sure why I stopped as Evesham Wood continues to turn out very nice Pinots but most of my purchases are going to Cameron and Goodfellow these days. I think I have 1 99 J left- need to dig that out.

You’re rising fast along the learning curve! Thanks for the TN. Russ Raney was an OR Superstar IMHO. Erin has huge shoes to fill, but is quite honestly doing a respectable job IMHO.

RT

Awesome to see this note! 1999 was a tremendous vintage for aging. And in the same vein as 2008, it was a great vintage but one that really wanted time.

The first time I barrel tasted was at Evesham Wood, with Russ Raney. Late summer of 2000, and we tasted 1999s. I remember tasting the components of this wine(Temperance Hill and Le Puits Sec) and then having the light bulb flash on when Russ brought the finished wine into the restaurant.

Russ was really into his prime winemaking years, and this particular wine was a big reason why I asked him to work harvest in 2002.

I love Russ, and he was formative for me. But over the past 5-7 years, I think Erin is making wines that rival the best wines to come out of Evesham Wood during Russ’ era. And the white wines are generally at a level now that I simply don’t feel Russ ever really achieved. In the era where Russ Raney and John Paul were the north and south poles of the Willamette Valley, when white wines were the topic mostly that meant Cameron. No disrespect to Russ, as the Evesham Wood whites were always good. But Erin’s whites are top tier, even if he is not always recognized for that.

Between Erin Nuccio and Jason Lett, both Evesham Wood and Eyrie have continued to thrive. Given the level of competition today is vastly tougher than it was then(though at least people now generally know that we make wine in Oregon), both of them have done admirably at remaining near the top of the heap for producers. Something that I just don’t think could be done without continuing to push forward the quality of the wines.

It’s worth noting that while the 90’s birthed some truly great wines from the Willamette Valley, there was also a MUCH bigger level of forgiveness for not great wines, than there is today. And most of the giants from back then enjoy the same luxury as the 2007 vintage has for the last 10 years…the great wines are what we’re holding onto and opening and the others I poured by the glass 20 years ago until they were gone.

Russ offered amazing QPR and remarkably consistent quality. I need to revisit Erin’s whites…and reds.

RT

I think you’ll really like what he’s doing. And the Evesham Wood WV and Eola-Amity Pinot Noirs are my QPR kings of the Valley for the destemmed style of Pinot Noir.

For whites, the Le Puits Sec Blanc is excellent. But don’t miss the Chardonnays. Especially his Juliette Chardonnay under the Haden Fig label.

Thanks for the note Todd. If you ever make to the Willamette Valley I suggest a stop at Evesham Wood. The tasting room is very nice and staffed by Chris Lindemann. He is a real pro and very knowledgeable. It is always a must stop for us when we are in Salem. The wines are excellent and they have consumer friendly pricing.

I’ll second this. It’s a really nice visit.

Piling on. It’s one of our post harvest visits with the cellar crew most years.

Great note and thread. Evesham Wood is the formative producer for me as well, good to know you were there in ‘02 Marcus. I was happy to find some ‘02 Le Puits Sec and Cuvee J last year on winebid. But the ‘99 Seven Springs is the all timer for me, as a wine but also as a memory of my dad. He and I shared a birthday and the year I finally caught up to the old man he’d been diagnosed with terminal cancer. We shared a last birthday dinner, and I brought the bottle of ‘99 EW Seven Springs that Russ gave me after my first day helping in the cellar before the ‘05 harvest. Some things mean enough on their own, but then they mean even more for the circumstances. I’ve never been more grateful for a bottle of wine.

I have a few vintages of E-W Seven Springs left plus several vintages of Cuvee J. I agree that the Seven Springs best the J.
I tasted with Russ in the summer of 2008 when the '07’s were in barrel. He retired not long afterwards. Maybe it is my imagination but he seemed tired when I visited. He remarked that he was not looking forward to the sell job he would have on his hands with the ‘07’s after the press had damned the vintage. Sell-jobs were not Russ’ thing. In fact, he did not use those words, but something similar.
Russ was so unassuming, so genteel. It was like going to grandpa’s house to go look at antique cars. He was not the least concerned about selling me a bottle. Of course. back then his wine normally sold out quite easily.

I tasted with Russ in 07. What an experience, it did not hurt that I used to sell his lineup. I have a lone 08 J I bought in Eugene years ago. I was delighted to see it on the shelf.

July 2008

RT

Thanks everyone for all your insight here. This was a pretty impressive bottle of wine. I will put them on my short list next time I head up to the WV. Now who is that wildly handsome man holding those glasses up?

He’s the guy enjoying the experience, skill, character and hard work of the winemaker holding the glass thief.

RT