Old Chardonnay still drinkable?

Cleaning out my cellar for a move and discovered a double magnum of 2003 Far Niente Chardonnay which was in a wood box.

Never opened it because I thought we drank it long ago and was keeping the box for decorative purposes.

Is there any chance this is still drinkable, or should I just leave it full for decorative purpose?

Thanks in advance.

Nick

CT notes suggest this is still likely good, especially since it’s a double magnum and assuming it’s stored well.

Why not try it. The worst that happens is that you don’t like it. Then it goes in the vinegar crock for me. I have had some cellar orphans like that usually an old white that seemed to get misplaced.

4th July spectacular…

Will let you know

I had a 2000 Far Niente from 750 ml last year that was clearly fading but still quite nice. I’d expect something significantly fresher from a 2003 in double magnum. Open it up and find out! Would be interested to hear your thoughts.

• 2000 Far Niente Chardonnay - USA, California, Napa Valley (10/7/2019)
    Mature golden colour. Nose has golden raisin, ground nuts, a little honey-buttered toast, just a whiff of oxidation but In good shape. On the palate this still has great structure - medium juicy acid, quite a bit of oak tannin, nice grippy mouthfeel throughout, quite tertiary, almond on the finish. Very nice if still quite oaky. Perhaps 10 years past its peak but holding on well. (88 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

2003 is a hot year, but since this is no malo Chardonnay, that surprises many, it has the malice acid to age better than most typical Napa Chards.