Burgundy bitten

So I’ve read about burgundy as the siren sing on the rocks. You will taste the ethereal once and spend your fortune chasing it to no avail. I tasted that which drives men crazy at a generous friend’s birthday. I thought I was safe as the present day value of that wine was $1,100, clearly out of my price range and, I am too old to buy at release and hold for 20 years.

Last week I drank this wine. 2012 Domaine Confuron-Cotetidot Vosne-Romanee. No big deal, it’s a village wine, not 1er cru or GC. There were only 4 CT reviews, all in French. Google translate spoke highly of the wine. I remember overpaying for 3 bottles at a nice wine pairing restaurant in Florence of all places.

In any case, the wine was lovely, almost sublime. Wine-searcher Pro says it’s about $80. I trembled.

I drank a pinot from another region. Oh no, not the same. Syrupy, no damp forest floor. Alas, oh woe is me. I am smitten, I am bitten. I am in trouble.

Go buy the 5 pack that Marcus offered of the Goodfellow Heritage Pinot Noir (from Oregon) for… something like $55 per bottle shipped.
it’s delish… and similar to burg (whether or not he intended it to be).

Or just take a new mortgage on the house and enjoy the ride…

I’ve got a 2005 Chandon de Briailles Corton Clos du Roi for my birthday - I’ve only had village wines so far - and I’m almost hoping I don’t like it all that much, so I don’t start chasing any pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Oh no. I was wondering why you were asking about our Zalto Burgs… Glad the kids are done with College [cheers.gif]

Corton was my first grand cru Burgundy as well. While not nearly ready to drink (2018), it was a dramatic and powerful wine. It lacked balance and finesse, but I could see glimpses of its regal status coming into place with age. I tasted it a dinner where I was able to do an horizontal through different Cote de Nuits and Cote de Beaune appellations. I posted my thoughts here: TN: Jane Eyre's 2018 Release Dinner in Melbourne - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers.

2005 is a big vintage so it might not be ‘in the zone’ yet, but with 15 years under its belly you should be able to see further than I was, and i envy you.

Welcome to the dark side. Or in this case, actually the light side [cheers.gif]

That’s the problem, right there. Fortunately for me, it means that I find Burgundy as low as $20 that I like better than relatively expensive Pinots and Chardonnays from elsewhere.

Nobody is safe from Burgundy, the witch magic’s spell [stirthepothal.gif]

Yeah, Burgundy is witch craft, voodoo, hoodoo, blood sugar sex magiks

I blame one Ian Dorin for a date night with Dujac at a long since gone restaurant. Its all his fault, at least that’s what I tell my wife when the credit card bills come in.

I’d missed that topic of yours! Thanks for the link.

Everyone here seems to agree that 2005 Burgundy is taking forever to come around, but this particular wine came with two separate and trustworthy recommendations on its current drinkability, so I took the plunge.

… two separate and trustworthy recommendations, I see, I consider your days counted then, the witch’s spell nears, its bind of so perfumed, its cast oh so enchanting…

Howard,

Thanks for the links. The first thread says it’s possible with work to find a few reasonably priced gems. I saw this thread and appreciate you bringing it back to my attention. The second thread is good because it makes me think twice about the endeavor. cheesehead

We shall see.

Lonnie

Lonnie,

I don’t know where you live, but is there is a good retailer there who stocks burgundy, find the place and work with someone good to guide you.

If such a retailer is not available, oNe easy way is to start with big producers whose wines are generally easier to find - say Jadot, Bouchard and Drouhin. They are relatively comparable in quality but very different in style. You very likely will have a distinct preference for one over the other two or will at least say boy these are good but the styles are so different. If the former, you have a way to proceed. If you like all three but see differences in style, you are dead meat because you will be hooked for life. Get a second mortgage now while interest rates are low.

I had the same thought recently. It’s gonna be a lifelong journey

Your post is very appreciated!

And it has taken me nearly 20 years of obsessively pursuing the production of wines similar in nature to Burgundy to get to the Heritage wines…

Could have saved yourself lots of time by reading some old books and moving to France

I’m sure the effort had paid off though. Thanks for respecting your craft and keeping us Berserkers happy. I’ve only tried your whites but will have to try the pinots

[cheers.gif]

I added that as I’m cautious to compare wines of two regions :slight_smile:. Some would argue the Oregon terroir is unique and wonderful so didn’t wanna be like “oh that’s most burg like” and indirectly dissing a region haha

But yah those heritage wines blinded, can be hard to pick out as new world!

Respected Burgundy makers were already too expensive when I started. Can’t imagine catching the bug now. As others have said, good priced, yummy burgs can still be found, just not very many labels that will impress your friends. Good luck!

You are in trouble now. Be prepared to part with the better part of your income. Once bitten, you are never cured.